MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Enslaved (Axioma Ethica Odini)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:43pm
Haha, yeah, I didn't expect them to be prog � la DT! Black metal bands slowly changing their style to something different (-> progressive) usually means quite interesting results (� la Ulver), so I won't be avoiding Enslaved's recent releases.

Speaking of Hawkwind, that is another project from the prog side that I am going to check out some day, I believe I could dig their stuff.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:32pm

...and remember when I say progressive I don�t mean Dream Theater. More like progressive ala Pink Floyd or Hawkwind.

Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:27pm
Thanks, that'll be helpful! I'll see to the band in the future - probably starting from the beginning.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:11pm

I can highly recommend starting with Isa, but if you enjoy the more old school sound ( I know you do) the first couple of albums are probably more down your alley. The most old school sounding are http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/enslaved--vikingligr-veldi.aspx and http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/enslaved--frost.aspx.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/enslaved--eld.aspx and http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/enslaved--blodhemn.aspx are pretty much alike. Eld is usually the one with the "classic" status though.

From then on Enslaved began to incorporate more and more progressive elements to their sound with each album culminating in the release of Vertebrae where almost all black metal elements except for Grutle�s raspy vocals are gone from the music. They�ve morphed into something very unique over the years IMO.

Edited by UMUR - 14 Sep 2010 at 2:12pm
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 1:22pm
Once again a band that I should have checked a long time ago, but still haven't. Perhaps soon...
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:05pm
Wow that�s a great track. A bit sharper sounding than the laid back Vertebrae ( which I also enjoy greatly). I can�t wait. Enslaved quickly became one of my favorite acts when they released Isa.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 12:55pm
Enslaved's newest is set to release this September. Anyone else stoked for it? I was one of the few people who enjoyed Vertebrae thoroughly, though I do agree that they could have improved some parts.

Anyway, check out the first track on the album. It seems pretty awesome to me. I love the first half or so, and the guitar solo's pretty sweet, but I don't know about those clean vocals at the end. They seem to channel Muse and/or Coldplay, and I'm not sure how I feel about them.

Anyway, new Enslaved album, new track, discuss.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image