MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mike Portnoy replaced by...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudTrax.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mike Portnoy replaced by...?
    Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:31am
Who should replace Mike Portnoy in Dream Theater?!
LoudTrax.com - Rock, Metal, Punk downloads
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:02am
I've heard several names bouncing around.  Of the ones I've heard, someone like Virgil Donati makes sense to me.  You need a guy that is used to touring as well as being able to keep up with the band.  You need a real pro.

I've heard Gavin Harrison's name mentioned by fans.  He could probably do it, but I'm sure he's happy enough with Porcupine Tree, and I don't know if he is even into DT.  And that might be an obstacle for the band.  There are probably tons of drummers that could play Portnoy's parts, but some may not be into DT's style.

I wonder if they'd pull a Metallica and hold open auditions for their fans.  However, I'd be very surprised if they went with a complete unknown.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:04am
Virgil Donati would certainly make sense. Good suggestion Dan. He is a real pro. Had it been twenty years ago I would have mentioned someone like Vinnie Colaiuta.
alberto mu�oz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alberto mu�oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:11am
Nobody they try to do a PM record without drums, now that would be awesome!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:12am
I suggested Rod Morganstein on PA. 
LoudTrax.com View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudTrax.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:28am
i really hope they don't go through a revolving door of drummers....

remember, they need someone who can write, have a stage presence, etc....  it's not only about who can play the parts.   
i respect Dream Theater for sticking to their guns and not giving him a "break" like he wanted.
LoudTrax.com - Rock, Metal, Punk downloads
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:33am
He's irreplaceable... Cry
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:40am
I guess doesn't matter, Indeed, the band needed a break time. It would give them time and space to get some fresh air. But...

Now the'yll just do the same thing over and over like these past few years Confused

Edited by progshine - 09 Sep 2010 at 10:42am
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 11:04am
Mario Duplantier of Gojira (i hope sincerisly) that would be cool, becouse he can play realy complex stuff and is one of the best in the world

He can do the dubble pedal stuff, can play odd-time sig, can do polorythems, can do technical far out stuff, great stick tecknick, is also a showman, he knows to play flashy as well, and he is kick-ass live...

Edited by Balthamel - 09 Sep 2010 at 11:09am
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 11:06am
or Simon Phillips
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:48pm
By brother mentioned an interesting name that does have a Dream Theater connection: Charlie Zeleny.

He left Behold ... The Arctopus a while ago to focus on work as a session musician, and has recorded with Jordan Ruddess in the past.  The road might be an issue for him, but could working with Dream Theater change his mind?
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 5:35am
Hehe . . .
Do I get the Cred for the Virgil Donati idea Tongue (on 1st Mike Portnoy Thread)?

But I agree with J-Man and Progshine, he is irreplacable, the man was the driving force and was
part of DT's uniqueness, even though now-for the past 10 years folks have a Love/Hate relationship
with him that I never understood . . . as I have said YEARS ago and with my fellow fans mentioned
above, the guys need a break, enjoy their families and make some music with other folks and
projects, give DT a rest and come back when you have something to say musically, come back
strong with a new sense of purpose Big smile.

But . . .
If I had to choose of the top of my head, Virgil (That guy was 5ft. from me with Tony MacAlpine at the
"Baked Potato" and both guys were technically brilliant and Virgil has such amazing power)!

Mark Zonder formaly of Fates Warning has the chops and a unique technical style that will sure
amaze DT fans (Funny, Drummer Bobby Jarzombek is with Fates Warning now!).
Mark in "Slavior" doing Drum tracks for my Fave song off their debut:

This one was an amazing suggestion and many agreed at prOgulus, Martin Lopez formaly with
Opeth! This man is amazing and his interests lie in alot of different types of drummers, styles and has
the "Latin" rythem that he used to influence in Opeths music, he's very versatile . . .
Only problem is his health and I dont know his status, so being on the road may not appeal to him.

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Virgil Donati would certainly make sense. Good suggestion Dan. He is a real pro. Had it been twenty years ago I would have mentioned someone like Vinnie Colaiuta.

Hey if  Vinnie can play on The Megadeth album "The System has Failed"  why not!  That man has
pretty much played every music possble, that would be pretty amazing.

And Stooge's idea of Charlie Zelany makes sense . . . hmmm . . .

Or we can just let DT simmer down and take a few steps back to look at the BIGGER picture.
. . . I can only hope.  I wish them well and hope we dont start hearing the "Blame Game" Ouch.

Cry

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 12 Sep 2010 at 7:37am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 6:44am
Does Rod Morgenstein have the chops? Rudess has cited him as one of his favorite drummers. I haven't listened to the Dixie Dregs personally but maybe that would be a good drummer for DT.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 6:56am
I think he does. I think Scott mentioned him earlier in the thread.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 7:05am
Seen and follow the Dixie Dregs as well, and familiar with his many "sides" (Including with "Winger").
I'd say he has them too Thumbs Up. Ha! they can play "Odyssey" with the actual Drummer (and "The Big
Melody") Wink.  Listen to Platypus & Jellyjam Toposfm!  Good Stuff! With Myung, Ty Tabor and Derek
Sherinian!
With Rudess:

You know . . . there is always the Drummer for Spiral Architect "Asgeir Mickelson"!  If he can break
away from Satyricon.

. . . but I want some guy named Portnoy Smile

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 12 Sep 2010 at 7:34am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 7:45am
Hellhammer or Horgh!!!

I am, of course, kidding.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 3:21pm
I saw Martin Lopez!

I certainly would have no problem with that! One of my top 5 favs and I don't think he got quite the credit he deserves.
In fact when I made my metal drummer poll on PA it was dominated by Portnoy, Danny Carey, as well as some other bigger names. Little love for Martin Lopez Disapprove
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 3:47pm
I havent seen anyone put this up . . .

From LaBrie via-Roadrunner/Blabbermouth (and the annoying comments that follow, why are
Metalhedz ass-holes?):
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=147378

Everyone is saying their suggestions, but many already have established Bands they're in,
I dont think Danny Carey is going to leave Tool for example.  As LaBrie says though, they
are auditioning 7, so we'll hear who will take the seat soon Wink.
As I said, Lopez is a GREAT choice, but I think his health will be an issue.

. . . but I will miss the Engine that is Portnoy, but I think DT will have a ressurrection, and Portnoy
will miss all the activity and "challenges" of playing Dream Theater type music.  That may take a
few years though Cry.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

I havent seen anyone put this up . . .

From LaBrie via-Roadrunner/Blabbermouth (and the annoying comments that follow, why are
Metalhedz ass-holes?):
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=147378

Everyone is saying their suggestions, but many already have established Bands they're in,
I dont think Danny Carey is going to leave Tool for example.  As LaBrie says though, they
are auditioning 7, so we'll hear who will take the seat soon Wink.
As I said, Lopez is a GREAT choice, but I think his health will be an issue.

. . . but I will miss the Engine that is Portnoy, but I think DT will have a ressurrection, and Portnoy
will miss all the activity and "challenges" of playing Dream Theater type music.  That may take a
few years though Cry.

I might have posted a similar link in another thread, but it's no harm posting it here either. Wink

I'll be really curious to see the 7 names that Dream Theater is auditioning, as all are supposedly world-class drummers.  If I'm not familiar with any of them, it would give me cause to explore their talents.

Some of the names people suggest on Blabbermouth are rather ridiculous.  Many of the serious suggestions are fine drummers, but I don't think they would fit the mold (Gene Hoglan and Richard Christy for example).  They definitely want a drummer known to play more than just metal, but who knows.  Someone with a non-prog metal background could step up and surprise us (I'm looking at you, Rikki Rockett!! LOL).
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 7:24am
How is he replaced? It would have to be someone with incredible talent. Perhaps the drummer could be The Mastodon drummer - he is amazing but rather busy with Mastodon it seems.

Virgil is best choice I have heard on this thread.
GLAM METAL!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic