MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nu-Metal/Alternative Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason121689 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nu-Metal/Alternative Metal
    Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 10:49am
I am sorry If this question may sound stupid to you but what exactly is the difference between Nu-Metal and Alternative Metal? The reason I ask is because Nu-Metal isn't listen in the Metal Subgenre box and when I clicked on the list of Alternative Metal bands, I saw a lot of bands that are commonly refered to as Nu-Metal (Limp Bizkit, Korn, Slipknot, Deftones, Mudvayne, ect.)

Are Nu-Metal and Alternative Metal the same thing? Is Alternative Metal a nickname for Nu-Metal much like how Hair Metal and Pop Metal are nicknames for Glam Metal? Is Alternative Metal an umbrella term for various genres like Extreme Metal?

I apologize again if this question may sound stupid but please bear in mind that I am new to this site.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 10:53am
In MMA terms nu-metal is included under alt metal. They're similar but some differences. I'm not an expert in the area but I always considered nu-metal to one the acts which heavily featured rap vocals, although I'm sure there must be more to it than that. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 11:37am
The alternative metal sub is an umbrella sub, that among other Things include NU-metal.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 12:30pm
One of the reasons for the inclusion of nu metal under alternative metal is that nu metal is partially derived from the alternative metal and alternative rock movement of the 90s. For instance, ome of the first rap metal acts proper, like Rage Against the Machine, H-Blockx, Clawfinger and Senser (and, to some extent Faith No More and Red Hot Chili Peppers) were associated with the alternative metal scene. The nu metal acts latched on to the rap aesthetics introduced into metal by these artists and imported even more elements from hip hop into their style, plus they drew heavily on groove metal which was also big in the 90s.

I see nu metal as a delimited subgenre within the alternative metal/rock sphere, characterized by simplified groove metal inspired riffs, hip hop aesthetics (like turntablism), and rapped vocals. Of course, some nu metal bands fit better into this than others. For instance, the Danish underground nu metal band Boxhead featured nu metal styled riffage and turntablism, but their vocalist did not rap.

Oh, and the term nu metal was applied to a number of metal acts that actually did not display nu metal characteristics, but which just happened to be around in the heyday of nu metal, such as System of a Down.

Edited by Time Signature - 09 Nov 2013 at 12:32pm
Jason121689 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason121689 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 4:20pm
Thanks for all the help, guys!

Beer
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

One of the reasons for the inclusion of nu metal under alternative metal is that nu metal is partially derived from the alternative metal and alternative rock movement of the 90s. For instance, ome of the first rap metal acts proper, like Rage Against the Machine, H-Blockx, Clawfinger and Senser (and, to some extent Faith No More and Red Hot Chili Peppers) were associated with the alternative metal scene. The nu metal acts latched on to the rap aesthetics introduced into metal by these artists and imported even more elements from hip hop into their style, plus they drew heavily on groove metal which was also big in the 90s.

I see nu metal as a delimited subgenre within the alternative metal/rock sphere, characterized by simplified groove metal inspired riffs, hip hop aesthetics (like turntablism), and rapped vocals. Of course, some nu metal bands fit better into this than others. For instance, the Danish underground nu metal band Boxhead featured nu metal styled riffage and turntablism, but their vocalist did not rap.

Oh, and the term nu metal was applied to a number of metal acts that actually did not display nu metal characteristics, but which just happened to be around in the heyday of nu metal, such as System of a Down.

This.

Also, a lot of Nu Metal bands featured influence from Tool and from Industrial bands.
A lot of your Flaws and your Colds and others would sound very different if Tool weren't famous. Same goes for industrial. Spineshank, Powerman 5000 and many others feature a bit of industrial influence in their sound but never enough to actually be an industrial band.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Gabimm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 3:30pm
which by the way, has a lot of good bands: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, System of a Down, Coal Chamber, Korn...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic