MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AC/DC and sub-genres issues (alt. metal+hard rock)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAC/DC and sub-genres issues (alt. metal+hard rock)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 6:03am
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

They are certainly not metal by today's standards... but more or less fit into the category that Black Sabbath would fit into..

Back In Black is a genre-defining heavy metal album alongside Motorhead's Ace of Spades and Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell (both released in the same year).

"Highway To Hell" was pretty much my introduction to heavy metal, and "For Those About to Rock" is essentially "BiB" revisited.

There is no point whatsoever in trying to define 1970s-1980s metal by today's standards! Heavy Metal was not invented recently, it is an old form of music that defies fashion and has evolved so significantly that many now are surprised by what it used to sound like.

Please check out the many video clips that I have been putting up of the more obscure Heavy Metal bands of the NWoBHM - THAT is what it used to sound like, and THAT is why AC/DC are as much Metal as they are Hard Rock.

Black Sabbath are unquestionably metal, in a modern sense - and in a completely different category to AC/DC. More modern bands show Sabbath influence, while the NWoBHM had considerable AC/DC influence.

Sabbath's style of metal is and always has been so completely and fundamentally different to AC/DC's - why on earth would it fit into the same category, unless you were simply confining them to "1970s"? I really don't understand - with the exception of the guitar tones, solos and aggression, it's totally different music.

Please excuse my apparent incredulity, but AC/DC never used a tritone in the whole of their recording carreer, and neither were they susceptible to the occult, use of keyboards or dramatic light and shade - and Sabbath barely ever recorded a 12-bar blues or sang drinking songs! The two are polar opposites!

Tell me again how they fit into the same category?

Edited by Certif1ed - 13 Jul 2010 at 6:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic