MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AC/DC and sub-genres issues (alt. metal+hard rock)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAC/DC and sub-genres issues (alt. metal+hard rock)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 8:40am
Originally posted by m@x m@x wrote:

IMPORTANT

Artists can added even if not all their discography fits in the site. Only the albums of a specific bands can be labeled as an MMA sub-genres, the rest can be labeled as Other and it won't be listed anywhere on the site, exept in the artist disco (we even can't allow review from theses if it's what we want)

Thats a great feature! Clap

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 8:44am
I fully agree with all of the above, and think that, at least for the time being, we should put on hold any reviews of albums that are not metal-related. We have already seen how divisive the issue has been on PA, and I think it is always good to learn from previous mistakes. 
Sleepwalker View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 9:43am
This thread has been moved back to the suggest new bands and artists subforum by the admin team. 
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 3:53pm
About the NWoBHM inclusion or not in Traditional Metal...

I want to take position here and consider the following facts:

1. Most Traditional Metal are blues-influenced and NWoBHM artists mostly not

2. We are an archive site , as a  future reference in metal music and since Proto, Traditional and NWoBHM basically started it all, it's important to split them considering their historical importance. People need to know that there is a line and that the NWoBHM  movement was extremely important for the evolution of the styles and multiples sub-genres.

Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:24pm
I would invite folks not necessarily on the alt.metal team to chime in their opinions on where we should be drawing the line. Collabs can use the official thread and I'll check this one as well.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 2:22am
I think that one of the ways to begin distinguishing between hard rock and heavy metal is that heavy metal represents a breaking away from the blues and R&B which underpins hard rock - hence "Traditional" metal bands cannot help but be blues-influenced in some way. It's the way they escape the shackles of Blues Rock which is particularly interesting.

This is a "boundary" I'm examining with great interest (and enjoying loads of great music while I'm doing it - well, someone has to!).

The NWoBHM didn't represent a departure from Blues Rock - indeed, plenty of NWoBHM bands played it. Spider are probably the worst offenders, with Dumpy's Rusty Nuts, Larry Miller and Predatur not far behind.

NWoBHM was a well-defined period - a "movement" if you like, and it's important to note that it was not a style or genre. It hardly seems possible to lump Spider in with Praying Mantis, Iron Maiden and Venom. Not to mention Bad News and Spinal Tap, who emerged during the movement's heyday. Drat, I mentioned them...

Kerrang! magazine even lumped Marillion into the Metal bucket. I think Fish's face appeared on the cover of issue #2, promoting a somewhat lengthy interview.

Edited by Certif1ed - 01 Apr 2010 at 2:24am
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 6:26am
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Kerrang! magazine even lumped Marillion into the Metal bucket. I think Fish's face appeared on the cover of issue #2, promoting a somewhat lengthy interview.

LOL Yeah, right ! FISH -- as in, you've been "April Fooled" by Cert.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 6:30am
No, M@x, he's serious....  I used to buy Kerrang! every month (or every two weeks) in the Eighties, and they were among the first to feature (and promote) Neo-Prog bands. I remember very well when they had Fish on their cover - though it was much later than # 2.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 6:44am
Doh ! Embarrassed

lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 11:08am
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

AC/DC are NOT metal. They are straightforward hard rock, and damn good at it too. I think maybe their song The Razor's Edge and maybe Thunderstruck are metal songs, but the rest of their catalogue has extremely little to no metal to it.

what's the difference between hard-rock and heavy metal, Monsieur ?
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

AC/DC are NOT metal. They are straightforward hard rock, and damn good at it too. I think maybe their song The Razor's Edge and maybe Thunderstruck are metal songs, but the rest of their catalogue has extremely little to no metal to it.

what's the difference between hard-rock and heavy metal, Monsieur ?

In a way, it's just a matter of degree. But it's clear to anyone who listens that the riff that informs all metal is less pre-eminent in hard rock that still has a lot of blues into it. Distortion, techniques in playing the guitars (the main instrument in both), rhythm are essential differences. For example, Guns n' Roses, Aerosmith = Hard Rock. None would ever qualify them as metal.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:22pm
^Basically this. Rock riffs are generally more blues based and I'd say more pop oriented (generally more repetitive and catchy). Whereas with Metal riffs you have more chugs, gallops, drones, alt picking and sweeps, etc. and they're more agressive rather than fun or catchy. AC/DC dishes out fun and catchy riffs in spades, with blues influence splattered all over the place.

Unfortunately, Guns n' Roses are often categorized as metal as well.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:53pm

^Basically this. Rock riffs are generally more blues based and I'd say more pop oriented (generally more repetitive and catchy). Whereas with Metal riffs you have more chugs, gallops, drones, alt picking and sweeps, etc. and they're more agressive rather than fun or catchy. AC/DC dishes out fun and catchy riffs in spades, with blues influence splattered all over the place.

Sadly it's not as simple as that - I really don't care for a "What is Metal" thread, but Metal can be blues, and Hard Rock can be aggressive.

Even Metal can be a bit poppy and catchy - "Run To The Hills" anyone? "Ace of Spades"? How about "United" by Judas Priest - there isn't even any "Gallop" in that one. The Scorpions are notorious for their ballads, and Van Halen covered Soul and Trad Jazz numbers. Metal is a hugely versatile genre, and knows no boundaries when it comes to assimilation. I wouldn't argue the toss over bands like Jane's Addiction or the Red Hot Chili Peppers, for instance.

I remember when "Appetite For Destruction" came out and there weren't many who would not have described it as Heavy Metal. GnR sank quickly into a mire of blues after that one, though.

The distinction is far from clear, and even Status Quo have been described as Metal (they headlined Donington in 1982 - I was there!). Marillion I totally draw the line at though - wish I had thought of it as an April fool! LOL I believe there was a compilation called "Soft Metal" which featured Kayleigh...

Edited by Certif1ed - 01 Apr 2010 at 12:55pm
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 4:18pm
Well, I know of at least one Prog compilation featuring "Don't Fear the Reaper"LOL ....

Anyway, I agree with Mark's post 100%, especially as regards the versatility of metal - something not immediately evident to its detractors.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Sadly it's not as simple as that - I really don't care for a "What is Metal" thread, but Metal can be blues, and Hard Rock can be aggressive.

Even Metal can be a bit poppy and catchy - "Run To The Hills" anyone? "Ace of Spades"? How about "United" by Judas Priest - there isn't even any "Gallop" in that one. The Scorpions are notorious for their ballads, and Van Halen covered Soul and Trad Jazz numbers. Metal is a hugely versatile genre, and knows no boundaries when it comes to assimilation. I wouldn't argue the toss over bands like Jane's Addiction or the Red Hot Chili Peppers, for instance.

I remember when "Appetite For Destruction" came out and there weren't many who would not have described it as Heavy Metal. GnR sank quickly into a mire of blues after that one, though.

The distinction is far from clear, and even Status Quo have been described as Metal (they headlined Donington in 1982 - I was there!). Marillion I totally draw the line at though - wish I had thought of it as an April fool! LOL I believe there was a compilation called "Soft Metal" which featured Kayleigh...

I'm not disagreeing with you, though I'd like to point out that I meant generally.

I just think that when people hear any mix of distorted guitars, minor keys, or agressive vocals people assume it's metal. When you say it's not as simple as that, I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I fully agree with all of the above, and think that, at least for the time being, we should put on hold any reviews of albums that are not metal-related. We have already seen how divisive the issue has been on PA, and I think it is always good to learn from previous mistakes. 

WOW, putting a old on ratings/reviews, that is something we did not think about . Yes sure, we will not allow reviewing and ratings on the OTHER albums. 

Clap
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

No, M@x, he's serious....  I used to buy Kerrang! every month (or every two weeks) in the Eighties, and they were among the first to feature (and promote) Neo-Prog bands. I remember very well when they had Fish on their cover - though it was much later than # 2.

That's right, Kerrang in the early days was more of a general rock magazine than purely metal. They even had Phil Collin's on the cover once!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 8:49am
Read all these ideas or at least scanned them 

One way of getting around the issue of creating a hard rock category and stopping reviews from clogging up the main pages is to simply not allow reviews for those albums yet.

I noticed you did this on The Sweet for some albums that cant be reviewed. It is  asuggestion. ACDC I would say would be expected to be here. It is not unusual to see ACDC on metal sites.
GLAM METAL!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 10:16am
Just found ACDC on here - so thats a great addition for sure.

Love their brand of metal - seen them in concert a few years ago - rocked the stadium.

GLAM METAL!
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 1:57am

They are certainly not metal by today's standards... but more or less fit into the category that Black Sabbath would fit into..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic