MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AC/DC and sub-genres issues (alt. metal+hard rock)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAC/DC and sub-genres issues (alt. metal+hard rock)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 7:48pm
Why is my signature so big??Cry I've reduced the size almost to zero in photobucket and it's still gigantic... 
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 7:52pm
Because you want to show to us all how handsome you are in comparison with DTWink?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

AC/DC are NOT metal. They are straightforward hard rock, and damn good at it too. I think maybe their song The Razor's Edge and maybe Thunderstruck are metal songs, but the rest of their catalogue has extremely little to no metal to it.

AC/DC is widely recognised to have made not only songs but albums of the heavy metal variety.  Of course AC/DC is not heavy metal per se, but they did make plenty of head-banging music (and music to bang to, kinda like Isaac Hayes only harder, but not as hard as Chef), and surely we don't want to limit this site to acts whose music can only be described as metal, or worse, limit it to bands that can only be considered metal (bands of robots perhaps that are made of metal and maybe never even play a note of music.  Is that what you want?  Let's forget about whether the music can be described as heavy metal and worry more about if the things themselves are made of a heavy metal such as lead -- a Lead Zeppelin would be very heavy indeed)  I wonder about even calling bands Metal, or Prog ,-- part of the movement, or making music of that ilk. but calling the band itself Metal... I wear leather and studs, have big hair, an Adamantine skeleton, and wear eye-shadow so I must be metal. Aluminium bands are okay, I guess?

Anyway, I know that I considered the album Back in Black to be heavy metal when it came out, but maybe you didn't.

Maybe we do need a state-of-the-art metal detector here that will only let those things themselves that are clearly metal through-and-through through.  No alloys allowed either, just pure heavy metal... dense and toxic.

Edited by Logan - 30 Mar 2010 at 8:01pm
- -brutalogan
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Because you want to show to us all how handsome you are in comparison with DTWink?

Well I don't know about that... Actually I was trying to pass as the new DT member nobody knew about... Tongue
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:03pm
... I personnaly would prefer deleting AC/DC than creating a sub-genre for them.

We need to set the pace in the coming days for the future.

We have some "borderline" subgenre that we need to decide and go one with our decision
  • Alternative Metal
  • Hard-Rock
  • Hardcore (Punk) 
As a Metal Music Archive dedicated website and community. We need to set things straight here so we can take steps up , not stay on the same floor .

• Alternative metal is more a "metal" related name, than "metal" related music. But, everytime I think we should avoid them I remember the sub-genre Glam Metal that is basically the same. Sharing the name only. I am still confused. Confused
  • Hard-Rock, again , for me , not good here.
  • Hardcore, well, I am a not knowing this kind of music well. But I tend to vote NO.
Let's discuss....

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

AC/DC are NOT metal. They are straightforward hard rock, and damn good at it too. I think maybe their song The Razor's Edge and maybe Thunderstruck are metal songs, but the rest of their catalogue has extremely little to no metal to it.

AC/DC is widely recognised to have made not only songs but albums of the heavy metal variety.  Of course AC/DC is not heavy metal per se, but they did make plenty of head-banging music (and music to bang to, kinda like Isaac Hayes only harder, but not as hard as Chef), and surely we don't want to limit this site to acts whose music can only be described as metal, or worse, limit it to bands that can only be considered metal (bands of robots perhaps that are made of metal and maybe never even play a note of music.  Is that what you want?  Let's forget about whether the music can be described as heavy metal and worry more about if the things themselves are made of a heavy metal such as lead -- a Lead Zeppelin would be very heavy indeed)  I wonder about even calling bands Metal, or Prog ,-- part of the movement, or making music of that ilk. but calling the band itself Metal... I wear leather and studs, have big hair, an Adamantine skeleton, and wear eye-shadow so I must be metal. Aluminium bands are okay, I guess?

Anyway, I know that I considered the album Back in Black to be heavy metal when it came out, but maybe you didn't.

Maybe we do need a state-of-the-art metal detector here that will only let those things themselves that are clearly metal through-and-through through.  No alloys allowed either, just pure heavy metal... dense and toxic.

This is the point I was trying to make earlier with Micky. Many people perceive stuff like Back in Black as heavy metal, even if we (the experts) think it's not. The dividing line between hard rock and classic heavy metal is VERY thin, unlike the one between 'traditional' prog and the newer subgenres, or 'real' prog and prog-related.
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:36pm
I'll comment quoting M@x's words: 

Originally posted by m@x m@x wrote:

... I personnaly would prefer deleting AC/DC than creating a sub-genre for them.

We need to set the pace in the coming days for the future. Clap What the site becomes in the future depends from what it's done these days. 

We have some "borderline" subgenre that we need to decide and go one with our decision
  • Alternative Metal
  • Hard-Rock
  • Hardcore (Punk) 
As a Metal Music Archive dedicated website and community. We need to set things straight here so we can take steps up , not stay on the same floor .

• Alternative metal is more a "metal" related name, than "metal" related music. But, everytime I think we should avoid them I remember the sub-genre Glam Metal that is basically the same. Sharing the name only. I am still confused. Confused Alternative metal exists. It could also be inscribed in Nu Metal. Some people would die if they saw Faith No More or System of a Down in Nu Metal though... But I would say we could treat both subgenres as one...
  • Hard-Rock, again , for me , not good here.I think reality will make this difficult to happen. But in principle I agree. It will be difficult for some to conceive of metal with LZ or DP but with no ACDC. We have to be radical from the start. Either we will permit related bands in the future or we make this a STRICT METAL site
  • Hardcore, well, I am a not knowing this kind of music well. But I tend to vote NO.100% agree. Though there are metal genres with a lot of hardcore in them, hardcore as a pure genre doesn't belong here. Same with punk. 
Let's discuss....

Let's remember we will want to attract metal fans here. Let's welcome then waving the flag of metal. For hard rock and prog we have other sites (oh yes we doTongue)
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:52pm
FYI, this topic was moved from Suggest New Bands to SPECIAL COLLABORTORS ZONE
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 9:03pm
OK -- If we are to rename Nu Metal to Alternative Metal, is it possible to be sure that only the most metal ones are added, no alt-rock stuff? Or it's better to avoid it at all ? In any case, we need a strong collab.Ouch to handle this, and some backup from all.

About Hard-Rock & Proto-metal , we should write a good metal history article in our metal music guides section and in the Trad. heavy metal definition, as Certif1ed did here (http://www.musicbanter.com/rock-metal/44034-history-heavy-metal-thread.html)  withtout having to list all the artists in the proto-metal movement ? And only keep in Trad. heavy metal the real ones. Again, should this hit our credibility ? 

m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 9:12pm
Bed time, see ya tomorrow Rawks
Windhawk View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:14pm
Here's the controversial take on hard rock (unsurprisingly) from me:

"Hard rock and heavy metal are two variations on one form of music that were closely related throughout the first few decades of the development of both genres. The phrase heavy metal itself was first used to describe bands that by most contemporaries and most certainly in retrospect are regarded as hard rock: One of the first documented uses of the expression to describe music was used by Mike Saunders of Creem Magazine to describe the 1971 album by Sir Lord Baltimore. The phrase itself was popularized by US act Steppenwolf in their immortal anthem Born to Be Wild, while Iron Butterfly's song "In a Gadda da Vida" from 1968 for many years was described as the first heavy metal song.

When heavy metal settled and started developing as a genre, the two major players early on were Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. While the deep, dark and twisted sounds of the latter never ventured into other musical realms, Led Zeppelin was a band that moved back and forth between hard rock and metal through their career. More often than not exploring the fields of the former rather than the latter. Later on bands like Blue Oyster Cult was described as "the thinking man's heavy metal", with a distinctly dark sound on many of their albums that had strong metal references yet was performed in a manner much more similar to what was then and now described as hard rock.

While the two genres slowly drifted apart throughput the 70's, the 1980's brought them together again full force with the sudden rise in popularity of the so-called hair metal bands. An old and experienced hard rock artist like Alice Copper started exploring this genre, even acts like Kiss and Aerosmith was seen as belonging to that movement in one form or another. And the musical expression of the movement itself blurred the lines between hard rock and metal with it's subdued guitar expressions, preference for strong melodies and catchy chorus lines. Indeed, many bands sorted under the hair metal and glam metal umbrella would have been dubbed AOR in previous years.

At the same time as this highly commercial part of metal was on the rise, other movements stared evolving that would take metal in completely different directions as well. Metallica and Anthrax in the US, Venom in England, Hellhammer in Switzerland and a steadily rising number of bands started to develop what many fans of metal music refers to as metal today, with thrash metal, black metal and death metal as the founding genres of a new subset of metal music.

Of the most interesting aspects to note in this development was how they drew in two other types of harder edged music that had been regarded as separate entities, namely hardcore and punk. Thrash bands like Anthrax included many aspects of punk in their music, while bands like Circle Jerks to some extent and Nuclear Assault to a much larger extent included the US-based hardcore sound into their stylistic expressions. And while punk and hardcore inspired the evolvement of indie rock and alternative rock in the mainstream music scene, the more dramatic parts parts of those musical expressions were also put to good use amongst metal bands. In later years, genres like metalcore showcase just how much of an impact this would bring to the metal community.

Separating hard rock and heavy metal is a difficult exercise. While most people born after 1980 might not see the problem, those who have lived long enough to witness the rise and development of both genres in the 1970's will indeed have major problems in drawing a line between one and the other. And as the use of distorted electric guitars is such a central element in both genres, in many cases the difference between one and the other will merely be a subtle nuance, and in many cases we will find hard rock bands with a much more metal based sound than many acts sporting a pure metal pedigree as well. Cue the aforementioned hair metal movement of the 1980's."

With this large bucket of ice water dropped into the discussion, I guess some debate will follow ;-)
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by m@x m@x wrote:

OK -- If we are to rename Nu Metal to Alternative Metal, is it possible to be sure that only the most metal ones are added, no alt-rock stuff? Or it's better to avoid it at all ? In any case, we need a strong collab.Ouch to handle this, and some backup from all.

I support the change to Alternative Metal, there have been a couple of good discussions about it already, here's one of them: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69&PN=1
<- Click on this!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Many people perceive stuff like Back in Black as heavy metal, even if we (the experts) think it's not. The dividing line between hard rock and classic heavy metal is VERY thin, unlike the one between 'traditional' prog and the newer subgenres, or 'real' prog and prog-related.

Hey - I'm an expert, and I say BiB is a metal album.

You wanna disagree for 27 pages until you cave in?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 2:07am
^LOL. I�d say AC/DC took their bluesy hard rock enough into metal territory to be an important part of MMA. I know I would expect to find them here if I came to MMA hungry for metalSmile. As I understand AC/DC were generally considered to be a heavy metal act in the eighties, but as metal has moved more into the mainstream in the nineties their music are often refered to as hard rock today. I�d go for an inclusive attitude, but that probably doesn�t surprise anyone.Embarrassed
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 2:21am
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Here's the controversial take on hard rock (unsurprisingly) from me:

Sorry, WH - this is very uncontroversial and toes the line that I've read on so many sites - and is by and large heresay (that is, mainly wrong).

I think you'll find my version is quite controversial - but it's based on the facts, not the legends, so it would be... LOL

The phrase heavy metal itself was first used to describe bands that by most contemporaries and most certainly in retrospect are regarded as hard rock:

Was it?

Where is this documented?

There is certainly a lot of crossover between heavy metal and hard rock, particularly in the early days - but there is also a world of difference between Free style hard rock and UFO style metal.

Many bands played both, of course, just to add to the confusion.

One of the first documented uses of the expression to describe music was used by Mike Saunders of Creem Magazine to describe the 1971 album by Sir Lord Baltimore.

THE first is on the cover of the album "Hapshash and the Coloured Coat, featuring the Human Host and the Heavy Metal Kids", which was released in 1967.

SLB are not Heavy Metal, BTW, any more than Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come or Cream are.

The phrase itself was popularized by US act Steppenwolf in their immortal anthem Born to Be Wild,

Was it really - or has it come to be that way in retrospect?

while Iron Butterfly's song "In a Gadda da Vida" from 1968 for many years was described as the first heavy metal song

Was this before or after Slayer covered it? It's not actually more metal than, say, The Doors from 1965.

When heavy metal settled and started developing as a genre, the two major players early on were Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin.

Hang on - Sabbath's style didn't really catch on with anyone except Priest (and maybe a few relative unknowns, like May Blitz and Australian band Buffalo) until the 1980s - they were hardly major players in Heavy Metal, even though they were major players.

Led Zeppelin only have the "metal" connection because of the mis-spelled "Led" - they were a hard / bvlues / folk rock act that emerged from the Yardbirds.

While the deep, dark and twisted sounds of the latter never ventured into other musical realms, Led Zeppelin was a band that moved back and forth between hard rock and metal through their career. More often than not exploring the fields of the former rather than the latter.

Indeed...

Later on bands like Blue Oyster Cult was described as "the thinking man's heavy metal", with a distinctly dark sound on many of their albums that had strong metal references yet was performed in a manner much more similar to what was then and now described as hard rock.

- and, of course, releasing a song called Heavy Metal right in the middle of the "NWoBHM" years.

Amazingly, BOC, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Judas Priest were all heavily influenced by the band who called themselves The Heavy Metal Kids (see above).

It's interesting to note that The Heavy Metal Kids were the first act that Hendrix played with when he came to England. In fact, Hendrix's debut was to jam onstage with the HMKs (at the time, somewhat ironically called the VIPs) at a pretty big gig.

While the two genres slowly drifted apart throughput the 70's, the 1980's brought them together again full force with the sudden rise in popularity of the so-called hair metal bands.

This is a romanticised view - the "two genres" didn't drift apart or collide - metal as a genre has always been hugely varied in its quest to keep up with its big brother, Prog Rock.

"Hair-Metal" was a simple extension of Glam Rock, which in turn was just another fad in Pop music.

Metal can be as united or as fractured as you care to make it.

An old and experienced hard rock artist like Alice Copper started exploring this genre, even acts like Kiss and Aerosmith was seen as belonging to that movement in one form or another. And the musical expression of the movement itself blurred the lines between hard rock and metal with it's subdued guitar expressions, preference for strong melodies and catchy chorus lines. Indeed, many bands sorted under the hair metal and glam metal umbrella would have been dubbed AOR in previous years.

The "lines" were blurred from the beginning Wink

At the same time as this highly commercial part of metal was on the rise, other movements stared evolving that would take metal in completely different directions as well. Metallica and Anthrax in the US, Venom in England, Hellhammer in Switzerland and a steadily rising number of bands started to develop what many fans of metal music refers to as metal today, with thrash metal, black metal and death metal as the founding genres of a new subset of metal music.

There is no real difference between "Thrash" and "Black" or "Death" metal - these all sprang from the same source. Any differences are cultural and superficial rather than musically inherent.

As time passed, the differences became greater in many aspects of metal - as they have done since the genre's inception.

Metal is interesting genre in that it's not a passing fad, it's an ever-growing and evolving true genre - and this is largely due to the aspect I like least about it - this tendency to want to splinter off and create microcosms with unintelligble names to describe what are perceived as new styles.

Of the most interesting aspects to note in this development was how they drew in two other types of harder edged music that had been regarded as separate entities, namely hardcore and punk.

Metal has always drawn in other types of music - and it's only natural that it should be attracted to anything that sounds aggressive - this development is entirely an obvious one.

Punk itself begat hardcore - there's no need to split the two.

UK bands The Damned and the UK Subs essentially planted the "hardcore" style as far as I can see.

Separating hard rock and heavy metal is a difficult exercise. While most people born after 1980 might not see the problem, those who have lived long enough to witness the rise and development of both genres in the 1970's will indeed have major problems in drawing a line between one and the other. And as the use of distorted electric guitars is such a central element in both genres, in many cases the difference between one and the other will merely be a subtle nuance, and in many cases we will find hard rock bands with a much more metal based sound than many acts sporting a pure metal pedigree as well. Cue the aforementioned hair metal movement of the 1980's."

With this large bucket of ice water dropped into the discussion, I guess some debate will follow ;-)

Cue the "What is Metal" thread... Tongue
Windhawk View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 3:07am
I looked up a few sources here. One of the most interesting is from a guy with linguistics as a speciality, with a hobby to track down the origins of words and phrases. Not a fan at all, but purely concerned with the linguistic aspect of the heavy metal expression.
---------------------------------------------------

Meaning

Hard rock music, usually electric guitar-based and always loud.

Origin

Heavy metal seems at first a strange label to apply to a form of music. A little investigation into the symbolism behind makes it seem a rather obvious choice though.

'Heavy' was coined in the beatnik area of the 1950s to mean serious or profound. The term 'heavy music' was then and later applied to music that was in that vein. Of course it's clear to see that meaning of heavy is derived from the usual meaning, i.e. weighty or massive.

led-zeppelinOkay, that's heavy but why should a form of music be called metal? Well, metal is heavy, especially the metals favoured by the bands who played that genre, e.g. Led Zeppelin, Iron Butterfly and Quicksilver Messenger Service (quicksilver is mercury). Also, the term 'heavy metals' in the chemical sense include mercury, lead and cadmium, which have just the right image of toxicity to suit the musical style. It's interesting, although probably just co-incidence, that many of the British heavy metal bands came from the two principal centres of metal manufacturing in the UK, namely Birmingham (e.g. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne) and Sheffield (Def Leppard). With the decline of that manufacturing tradition, most of the 'metal bashing', as it was known, is now done by these bands rather than by men with big hammers.

So, heavy and metal are ideal candidate words for this genre. Add that to the fact that heavy metal had already been widely used as a military term for heavily fortified tanks/guns etc. and it starts to look like an ideal choice as a label.

The expression first appears in print in William Burroughs' 1962 novel The Soft Machine. His character Uranian Willy is described as "the Heavy Metal Kid". Burroughs later re-used the term in his 1964 novel Nova Express:

"With their diseases and orgasm drugs and their sexless parasite life forms - Heavy Metal People of Uranus wrapped in cool blue mist of vaporized bank notes - And the Insect People of Minraud with metal music."

It isn't clear who first appropriated the term to refer to loud rock music, although several lay claim to it. The widely quoted description of Jimi Hendrix's music as 'like listening to heavy metal falling from the sky', while being a fairly accurate assessment, isn't the earliest.

Some claim that the US rock music critic Lester Bangs, while working for Creem magazine, used the expression in 1968 to describe a performance of the band MC5 (Motor City Five) from Detroit. Creem magazine themselves attribute the term to Mike Saunders, in an article about the 'Kingdom Come' album, by Sir Lord Baltimore, in the May 1971 edition of the magazine:

creem"This album is a far cry from the currently prevalent Grand Funk sludge, because Sir Lord Baltimore seems to have down pat most all the best heavy metal tricks in the book. Precisely, they sound like a mix between the uptempo noiseblasts of Led Zeppelin (instrumentally) and singing that�s like an unending Johnny Winter shriek: they have it all down cold, including medium or uptempo blasts a la LZ, a perfect carbon of early cataclysmic MC5."

This has the benefit of being a traceable citation, as copies of the edition are still extant. So, until other hard evidence is found, that has to be the current strongest claim. It would be surprising if the term had never been used in the musical context before 1971 though - after all Steppenwolf used it in the lyric of their 1968 song Born to be Wild:

"I like smoke and lightning
Heavy metal thunder
Racin' with the wind
And the feelin' that I'm under"

The musical style remains popular, although less so than in its heyday - the 1980s, and has spawned sub-genres. These include 'death metal', 'thrash metal', 'grindcore' and even 'folk metal' (aka 'heavy wood').

Windhawk View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 3:16am
Cue the Steppenwolf citation, it seems that it was coined frequently by one particular music reviewer way back when, and that it caught on since:

"This is an FYI based on a handful of queries that have come my way in the course of, but unrelated to, my career as a writer of mystery and suspense novels. In the dim, dark recesses of history and my resume, and using the byline Mike Jahn, I was the first rock critic for the daily New York Times. In that regard I appear to have coined the phrase "heavy metal." At least I have repeatedly been told that I did. Here is the genesis: there were, in the laste 60s and early 70s, several bands that used metallic/heavy equipment imagery in their names: Led Zeppelin, Iron Butterfly, Grand Funk Railroad, and MC5 (Motor City Five). I described them citing the phrase "heavy metal thunder" from the Steppenwolf song "Born to Be Wild." Apparently the category name of "heavy metal" music devolved from that.

If I'm wrong, will someone please correct me? I'm not terribly proprietary about the matter, didn't patent it or anything, though I did rather expect that the achievement would earn me a lifetime supply of hair spray and leather pants.

Michael Jahn"

Windhawk View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 3:49am
I can't track back the source of the BOC description as thinking man's heavy metal. They were described that way in the early 80's, when I started listening to them, and may date back to sometime in the 70's. It's quoted so many times in reference to that band online that tracking the origin of that one is next to impossible. It's been around for longer than the Heavy Metal movie they contributed songs too though, but how much longer is hard to tell without doing rather extensive research I think. Raff might have some pointers there - as I'm only 38 she has been around a few more years than me.
Windhawk View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:12am
Cue Sabbath: They didn't influence too many of their contemporaries active in the music scene alongside themselves, but their fans did start making their own bands towards the end of the decade.

Some bands that did start out before the 80's were Pentagram, Witchfinder General, Witchfynde. Budgie might be reckoned in there as well. But the main impact of Sabbath started to be felt first in the early 80s, with bands like Trouble spearheading what would eventually develop from downer metal to doom metal.
Windhawk View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:15am
"THE first is on the cover of the album "Hapshash and the Coloured Coat, featuring the Human Host and the Heavy Metal Kids", which was released in 1967."

I'd like to see a source that cites that this was meant as a descriptive feature for the music rather than a cool tag for an album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic