MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands with same name

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands with same name
    Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 4:51am
I know this has been discussed somewhere before (can't locate a thread right now) and I remember reading about this regarding to NWoBHM, but I'm still wondering.

From user's point of view, it's time consuming to check every band to find what one is looking for. It's not a big problem yet because we don't have many bands in the database, but in the future we can have more than 5 bands with the same name - in fact, Metal Archives finds 13 bands with the name Darkness.

Should we edit these band names and add country tags like (USA) and (Swe), like in Metal Archives? Or maybe in the future the search option would show the country (and perhaps genre?) too?
Ulfednar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulfednar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 4:59am
The "BAND ( Country )" style feels so natural, even my music collection is organised the same way. Adding the genre would quite probably cause problems with the listings, when you'll be having entries such as "Some Band With A Huge Goddamn Name For Some Reason (Swe) (Progressive death metal/Ambient/Black Metal/Electropop".
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 5:10am
Yep you are right that the genre thing would cause problems like that. Just to ensure, I meant that the search would show the genre too, but the genre wouldn't be added to the band name itself. But yes, it would still make the search messier especially with bands that are in multiple genres.

I think that I'm in favour of this style: "Darkness (UK)". If there are multiple bands from even the same country, then "Darkness (UK, 1)", "Darkness (UK, 2)" and something like that, perhaps?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 6:30am
BumpSmile and good thinking mates.Clap This will surely cause problems in the future if we don�t start dealing with it soon.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

I think that I'm in favour of this style: "Darkness (UK)". If there are multiple bands from even the same country, then "Darkness (UK, 1)", "Darkness (UK, 2)" and something like that, perhaps?
I stand behind this idea of mine still, as long as someone comes up with a better idea! ;-)
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 10:16am
I don't really think there are any viable alternatives to the format suggested by Tommi. Though a rare occurrence, I am sure we will come across bands with the same name and from the same country, and this is the most practical way of labeling them (with multi-genre labeling, using the subgenre may prove awkward). We could arrange them in chronological order, with # 1 being the oldest, up to the most recent.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 4:36pm
Is there a way of doing it automatically, such that the system automatically inserts the country code after the band name whenever there are two or more artists of the same name in the database?
graphix View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graphix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 6:37pm
I developed a new/improved artist search autocomplete feature Geek. Take a look at it, it should help to differentiate artists sharing the same name. Big smile
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by graphix graphix wrote:

I developed a new/improved artist search autocomplete feature Geek. Take a look at it, it should help to differentiate artists sharing the same name. Big smile

Thumbs Up It's much easier to tell which Shining I'm clicking on now. LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 2:05am
That is perfect Phil. Great new featureClap.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 2:30am
Originally posted by graphix graphix wrote:

Nicely done man.
It is world's better now!
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 3:40am
This is amazing! Looks very good now! Thumbs Up
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 3:52am
Wow! Hats off!!!
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 4:26am
Very VERY good! Clap
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 8:47am
Thumbs Up
graphix View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graphix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 9:45am
Thanks Smile
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 10:11am
Damn, that looks beautiful!! Thumbs Up
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 3:05pm
Great new feature! Looks and works great! Clap
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic