MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

metalheads... I want your thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

Well, it's all in the name 'music', isn't it? I don't see the the point in all the morbid vocals and crunching guitar in newer metal. Why do that when traditional metal has the ability to soar high and low and make the hair on the back of listeners necks stand on end? I mean, ask yourself this... Korn or Metallica?  Cradle Of Filth or Iron Maiden? I know who I'd go for if I were stuck on a deserted island with nothing but a record player and two albums... LOL
Why do you listen to metal when Bach has the ability to soar high and low and make the hair on the back of the listener's neck stand on end? I would prefer silence to any of those artists.

Then, if I may ask, what are you doing on a metal forumConfused?
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:48am
I think you know the answer to that question already Raff! Wink
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:57am
I do indeedWink!
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Well, it's all in the name 'music', isn't it? I don't see the the point in all the morbid vocals and crunching guitar in newer metal. Why do that when traditional metal has the ability to soar high and low and make the hair on the back of listeners necks stand on end? I mean, ask yourself this... Korn or Metallica?  Cradle Of Filth or Iron Maiden? I know who I'd go for if I were stuck on a deserted island with nothing but a record player and two albums... LOL
Why do you listen to metal when Bach has the ability to soar high and low and make the hair on the back of the listener's neck stand on end? I would prefer silence to any of those artists.

Then, if I may ask, what are you doing on a metal forumConfused?
To support Max, and I do like some metal, I'm just not a fan of the non-prog metal. I'm also not a typical music fan in that I wouldn't find silence unbearable to endure. If you thought I was seriously saying people should only listen to Bach you misinterpreted my post.

Edited by Henry Plainview - 31 Mar 2010 at 7:27pm

lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 4:43pm

I disagree, I am but one of a reasonable number of young (16- 26) people who are purely traditionalist in terms of metal music.Rawks The most extreme genre that I'm willing to recognise as 'true' metal is Thrash. Once you get heavier than that, I feel it destroys the real artistry behind metal whereupon everyone sees it as noise as opposed to just rock in a raw and high powered format. It saddens me to see a lack of interest in old greats like Saxon, Ozzy and Van Halen in the rest of young listeners because this was the metal that made me feel empowered and took me on a journey through all rock music. Many extreme metal fans I've met often appear closed minded (obviously not all of you, plenty great guys on PA were into it) Often it is as if the harshness of the music matters more than how musical it actually is. I just don't get it. Confused

Today I learned that hard rock is not metal according to some of our beloved forum members Confused
That says a lot about the idea youngsters make of a metal band...

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 4:47pm
Guys, this thread was started as a serious discussion, and any kind of sniping is completely out of place. Lucas, if you have anything to say to any of our members, please tell them directly, or by PM - don't undermine their judgment in a thread which they may well not visit. 
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 4:57pm
^
Well, in order to stay on the topic, let's say that you will find a lot to like as well as a lot to dislike in EVERY genre. However, I tend to think that there are much more useless and cliched bands in the prog-metal genres than in others (besides the pioneers that are Queensryche, Fates Warning or Dream theater).
Therefore I can appreciate every kind of metal.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 5:08pm
Metal has changed and lucky it has or we would all be bored to death and not listening to it. A lot here complain that extreme is not for them anf fair enough but as what drives all forms of modern contempary music is the youngies. They are full of beans and they want to go where no man has gone before.( Star Trek)Wink. So they have gone extreme and created new music ( Noise if you preferUnhappy). One thing that I really like are the rythmns ( Check me Av) . Sepultura with Roots is one hell of an example. My son plays Thrash and Nu and so if I want to know anything I ask him.

The extreme Metal will be around for good now and the majority of Metal Heads I know are right into it.They are all approaching 30 and still love it.

Aren't the blokes from Meshuggah nearly 40 years oldClap
Matt
Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 10:28pm
Thoughts on prog rock?
Well I dig jazz fusion, The Mars Volta, and Pink Floyd kicks serious ass IMO.

As for metal, not everyone listens to it for the same reasons, but that's obvious I guess.
I don't listen to the heavier side of metal because I want to be the most extreme badass dude on the block.
A lot of the stuff I listen to is because it just grooves. Doesn't even matter if it doesn't sound particularly melodic to other people's ears, to me there is just something about metal with heavy amounts of groove.
Pretty much the reason why I listen to Meshuggah, particular their last few albums. What sounds like a bunch of dissonant, screwed up rhythmic stuff that makes no sense to some people is totally grooving stuff to me.
Or the breakdown in the song "Swim To the Moon" off Between the Buried and Me's last album The Great Misdirect. What might sound like a lot of dissonant, somewhat sludgy noise to some people is the stuff that makes me bob my head back and forward.

Another guy brought up Korn on the previous page. They are more melodic than they get credit for and have immense funky grooves. I can't stand the vocalist , but some aspects of their music is pretty awesome.
Of course I don't sit there all day and listen to stuff with groove either, I like some straight rhythmic stuff, but there is just something about groove metal, no matter if it's the "lighter" side like Pantera or the more intense stuff like Meshuggah that just really connects with me

rogerthat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 12:06am
*bump*

I don't know if I can call myself a 'pure metalhead' because at the time of writing this, I like prog rock more and that's how it's been for some time now but there was a time not so long ago when I couldn't be so sure where my preferences lay.  I certainly like prog rock much, much more than prog metal and that has been the case from the beginning.  There is a certain 'kick' that amazing metal music has for me, the uninhibited aggression and energy is something I like best in metal music than any other genre while prog rock is all about experimentation and nuanced emotions.  Prog metal, especially the melodic side, is neither so exciting in terms of musical adventures for me nor as wild as 'pure metal'. The delivery is too conscious and calculated in prog metal for my liking.   That being said, I like ACT's The Last Epic more than all but my favourite Sabbath and Judas Priest albums, so in the right hands, it is a sub genre with the potential to produce great music but, maybe it's me, but I haven't come across much of THAT so far in prog metal.  By the way, other than Cert1fied, I don't know anybody else who calls ACT prog metal! LOL

As for extreme metal, I don't really have any problems with regarding it as music.  What I do have a problem with is the excessive repetition and unjustified spawning of sub genres whose distinction from each other is suspect.  As I like to say, The Who and Led Zeppelin are both hard rock bands but they are probably more unlike each other than a thrash metal band from a black metal band.  From the beginning, this has been a problem for me with metal, that the tolerance for repetition (as also intolerant indignation expressed to those who point out the repetition) is quite high in metal circles, I mean both fans and musicians, and must be a factor in my gradually drifting towards prog rock.  I'd really like that metal bands aspire more to express their own identity and individual musical vision rather than be content with living up to the identity of the sub genre, but sub genre 'pride' runs high in metal and it is difficult to disabuse the notion that as long as a band is *insert metal sub genre name*, it's all good.
cyclysm748 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclysm748 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 2:23am
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

*bump*

I don't know if I can call myself a 'pure metalhead' because at the time of writing this, I like prog rock more and that's how it's been for some time now but there was a time not so long ago when I couldn't be so sure where my preferences lay.  I certainly like prog rock much, much more than prog metal and that has been the case from the beginning.  There is a certain 'kick' that amazing metal music has for me, the uninhibited aggression and energy is something I like best in metal music than any other genre while prog rock is all about experimentation and nuanced emotions.  Prog metal, especially the melodic side, is neither so exciting in terms of musical adventures for me nor as wild as 'pure metal'. The delivery is too conscious and calculated in prog metal for my liking.   That being said, I like ACT's The Last Epic more than all but my favourite Sabbath and Judas Priest albums, so in the right hands, it is a sub genre with the potential to produce great music but, maybe it's me, but I haven't come across much of THAT so far in prog metal.  By the way, other than Cert1fied, I don't know anybody else who calls ACT prog metal! LOL

As for extreme metal, I don't really have any problems with regarding it as music.  What I do have a problem with is the excessive repetition and unjustified spawning of sub genres whose distinction from each other is suspect.  As I like to say, The Who and Led Zeppelin are both hard rock bands but they are probably more unlike each other than a thrash metal band from a black metal band.  From the beginning, this has been a problem for me with metal, that the tolerance for repetition (as also intolerant indignation expressed to those who point out the repetition) is quite high in metal circles, I mean both fans and musicians, and must be a factor in my gradually drifting towards prog rock.  I'd really like that metal bands aspire more to express their own identity and individual musical vision rather than be content with living up to the identity of the sub genre, but sub genre 'pride' runs high in metal and it is difficult to disabuse the notion that as long as a band is *insert metal sub genre name*, it's all good.

Wow you bring up a lot of really interesting points.  I like you was a metalhead first and foremost, and then kind of converted into the prog rock genre.  I completely agree about the metal subgenre thing.  Where I live the biggest thing is all kinds of core music, which to me is all indistinguishable which type of core it is, though I don't listen to it much if at all.  I am definitely going to steal your who and zeppelin comparison to metal because it is awesome. Thank you.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by cyclysm748 cyclysm748 wrote:

Wow you bring up a lot of really interesting points.  I like you was a metalhead first and foremost, and then kind of converted into the prog rock genre.  I completely agree about the metal subgenre thing.  Where I live the biggest thing is all kinds of core music, which to me is all indistinguishable which type of core it is, though I don't listen to it much if at all.  I am definitely going to steal your who and zeppelin comparison to metal because it is awesome. Thank you.

I guess they probably all play metalcore. I find metalcore, malcore and deathcore tend to converge.  Hardcore is something quite different, as is grindcore.  Yeah, it's all core here too and they are all indistinguishable.  Brutal death metal has been like that for a long time, but because it's a 'pure metal' genre, it gets more sympathetic treatment. Wink  As for the Who-LZ comparison, feel free but make sure you pick an audience that also has some interest in classic rock in that case, because for some hardcore (not to be confused with the genre) metalheads, it's all hard rock, it's all the same. Wink
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 12:26pm
I don't believe in 'pure' metal or 'true' metal. Metal music has always been a bastard form of music, and it's always on the move taking in elements from other genres and forever developing new subgenres. That's one of the things I like about it - although it's hard to keep up with all the new subgenres.

I love prog rock too, in most of its forms... I like good old fashioned rock music and a lot of other genres outside rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic