MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Least 'metal' of our metals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which of these genres has the fewest metal elements?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [9.38%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
19 [59.38%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
4 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulfednar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 3:32am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

They are Metal to me as millions of fans will agree with me

Clickey

Not that I disagree. Smile

poslednijat_colobar View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poslednijat_colobar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 7:31am
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 4:05pm
Technically they are all "metal", so it is hard to say. I also don't want to be bias against glam, since I don't like it that much.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 1:50pm
I went with Glam, but I was torn between that and Alt. Metal. To me there's artists in both that would be better tagged as Hard Rock bands.

To a lesser degree I would also say Symphonic. Now there's many albums that a really rather heavy in the genre, but then you get a few which aren't very heavy at all, like Tarja's My Winter Storm, for example.

I suppose there are borderline groups in most of the subs though.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 1:57pm
prog metal Evil Smile
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 2:14pm
^Shocked

Are you going to back that up? Tongue

Edited by The Block - 16 Jan 2011 at 4:16pm

Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 3:24pm
definitely glam metal. Glam metal isn't metal, it's 80s rock.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 4:16pm
There are parts of it that are metal, but for the most part I agree.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

^Shocked

lol no Cool
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 1:58am
If you think about it, Glam Metal is probably one of THE MOST metal on that list - Glam did most of the defining of what metal is.

A metal band in the 1970s/80s wasn't complete without some eyeliner and spandex - I'm thinking Ozzy, Maiden, Def Leppard, Saxon et al - Motorhead were an exception that smashed the rules.

Even Venom wore makeup - and their stage show was outrageously theatrical, in the same school as Glam, even if with a different intent. Like most (dare I say other) Glam bands, Venom couldn't play very well, and the stage show was a great way of taking attention away from that fact.

Most of the Doom Metal I've heard sounds like 1970s Hard Rock - not very metal, so I'll probably vote that once I've considered the other genres a bit - Alternative Metal? What's that? An Alternative to Metal?

Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

^Shocked

lol no Cool

CryCry
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

If you think about it, Glam Metal is probably one of THE MOST metal on that list - Glam did most of the defining of what metal is. 

my vote is..
Prog. Dead
Approve

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 2:44pm
Glam metal!
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 3:13pm

^Shocked

lol no Cool

Cool

The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by SKwid SKwid wrote:

^Shocked

lol no Cool

Cool

GRRRRRRAngry

So I guess you don't like Opeth... or Ayreon...or Pain of Salvation...or (Prog fans avert your eyes) Dream TheaterShocked

LOL

SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:36pm
^not particularly no
opeth isn't bad

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:40pm
Opeth is the best band on Earth.

Edited by Prog Geo - 28 Jan 2011 at 4:40pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 5:06pm

A metal band in the 1970s/80s wasn't complete without some eyeliner and spandex - I'm thinking Ozzy, Maiden, Def Leppard, Saxon et al - Motorhead were an exception that smashed the rules.

Even Venom wore makeup - and their stage show was outrageously theatrical, in the same school as Glam, even if with a different intent. Like most (dare I say other) Glam bands, Venom couldn't play very well, and the stage show was a great way of taking attention away from that fact.

Most of the Doom Metal I've heard sounds like 1970s Hard Rock - not very metal, so I'll probably vote that once I've considered the other genres a bit - Alternative Metal? What's that? An Alternative to Metal?

Maybe glam metal is the most defining to the general public - but does that mean it's the most metal?

Not that I disagree with you - albums like Appetite For Destruction, Van Halen, Destroyer, etc., etc. defined heavy metal for many people. But when you actually think about what is metal and what isn't, many glam bands with their commercial attitude and imagery don't always fit into that mold. Metal isn't always about popstar imagery and record sales - one would question that if metal was just based on glam bands.

As previously mentioned, a lot of glam metal is often "just 80's rock". Very heavy rock, but "metal" is a bit of a stretch for some of the bands in question.

Again, I don't disagree with you. Metalcore has the same issue to me related to its commercial and popstar imagery - when it comes to a metal attitude, at least, glam is probably at the bottom of my list.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:31pm

Originally posted by SKwid SKwid wrote:

^Shocked

lol no Cool

Cool

GRRRRRRAngry

So I guess you don't like Opeth... or Ayreon...or Pain of Salvation...or (Prog fans avert your eyes) Dream TheaterShocked

LOL

I don't really chunk Opeth in with all the other prog metal bands
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 6:34am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Maybe glam metal is the most defining to the general public - but does that mean it's the most metal?

Not that I disagree with you - albums like Appetite For Destruction, Van Halen, Destroyer, etc., etc. defined heavy metal for many people. But when you actually think about what is metal and what isn't, many glam bands with their commercial attitude and imagery don't always fit into that mold. Metal isn't always about popstar imagery and record sales - one would question that if metal was just based on glam bands.

As previously mentioned, a lot of glam metal is often "just 80's rock". Very heavy rock, but "metal" is a bit of a stretch for some of the bands in question.

Again, I don't disagree with you. Metalcore has the same issue to me related to its commercial and popstar imagery - when it comes to a metal attitude, at least, glam is probably at the bottom of my list.

Maybe not - I'm as guilty as anyone of exaggerating for effect, but I would point out the following (deliberately skewed!) historical facts;

1. There has been a shift to "honesty" in the music, largely brought about during the NWoBHM, when bands simply made the music they wanted, under their own steam. The precedent for this can be seen in The Sweet, who constantly pushed away from songwriters Chinn/Chapman to write their own material, and become less of a "puppet" band, which they indisputably were in their early days (like many mid-late 1960s pop groups, it should be pointed out).

2. The most noticeable shift from "vanilla" hard rock can be seen around 1974, in Queen's "Stone Cold Crazy" and A few pieces by The Sweet - notably "Set Me Free", and other songs from "Fanny Adams" onwards, which are more uptempo, energetic - and straight up metallic. I'm still digging through piles of proto metal albums, and nothing yet compares to those two songs as representing a sea-change from hard rock to metal, excluding Black Sabbath and their imitators (or the bands Sabbath imitated) - which represents the darkest side of metal, and is in itself not wholly representative of the entire genre - as disparate as it is.

3. In terms of attitude again, look no further than Queen and The Sweet in the early 1970s - the whole posturing thing is right there. Kiss were directly inspired, as were Quiet Riot - although QR differed in two aspects; 1) Randy Rhodes and 2) they were rubbish at songwriting.

4. Don't be fooled by the outward imagery - the music can be far more revealing than the band's commercially tailored appearance - and it's a fact that some found The Sweet's image too outrageous to take at the time, so it didn't have as wide appeal as you might think; The song Ballroom Blitz was written after they got seriously bottled off stage at a gig in Scotland, and contains some quite violent imagery; "The band started leaving, 'coz they all stopped breathing" (IIRC).

...OK, so I probably don't mean Glam as a genre - but I think that bands within that genre get unfairly tarred with the same brush - there is utter nonsense in Glam, and it probably deserves all the knocking it gets, but later bands like Girl are well worth checking out as a different side of metal in the 1980s.

When I think of Metalcore, I think of something extreme that I probably wouldn't like - and hence not representative of the music I grew up with (which is troo metal to me), so prejudice exists everywhere!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic