MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Least 'metal' of our metals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which of these genres has the fewest metal elements?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [9.38%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
19 [59.38%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
4 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Least 'metal' of our metals
    Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 6:38pm
Now without bias, without voting based on what genres you prefer, which genre of metal do you think has the least metal elements in it here? You may argue that every band is equally metal here, but try to look at this seriously. The Maidens and the Priests in my opinion hold the prototype for pretty much every metal band after that to base it off of. So give it your best shots.

I eliminated proto because by its very nature contains fewer metal elements than other genres. And I will wait to vote till a little later to eliminate bias from my poll.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 8:33pm
Probably Glam, but most sub-genres have slight variations in metal-ness.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 12:12am
There are many close calls in a few genres.  I've been going through some of the gothic metal stuff, and the division between gothic rock and gothic metal can be so small. 

There are also some glam bands that seem more on the rock side than metal.  Many glam bands also tend to shy away from the metal aspect and prefer to be called a rock band.

I'm not familiar with that many folk metal bands, but there does seem to be some blur on the rock/metal boundary there as well.  Industrial too, though much of the industrial music I've heard has been heavy sounding.
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 1:22pm
huh...  glam metal has like ALL the elements of metal. What the hell are you all are listening to.. .fucking Winger! LOL

Edited by micky - 07 Aug 2010 at 1:22pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 1:28pm
Oh wait.  I misread the poll.  The least metal elements?  I didn't vote anyways.  Still varies band to band.
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 1:32pm
did go with Prog Metal...  metal isn't supported to be art..but dirty and low brow thus it misses out on the SINGLE MOST metal ...metal of all.  For the common Joe, not for frickin elitists and instrumental w**kers. 
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

did go with Prog Metal...  metal isn't supported to be art..but dirty and low brow thus it misses out on the SINGLE MOST metal ...metal of all.  For the common Joe, not for frickin elitists and instrumental w**kers. 

If that's what you think about Prog Metal, I'd hate to see what you think of Avant-Metal.

LOL
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:17am

That's told me! LOL
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 3:56am
I ended up voting for industrial metal, as a lot of artists in that category are simply dark industrial, nothing metal about them.

It was a tough choice, as I generally see it as being better than two other genres I feel deserve some votes: glam and alternative. The former is happy, upbeat rock a lot of the times that just adds another notch of distortion to their guitar. And the latter is mainly for nu-metal simple, pop/rap music played on metal instruments, though there are an awful lot of alternative metal bands that aren't really metal.

Edited by topofsm - 09 Aug 2010 at 3:57am
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:02am

Well, I used to agree....but now I don't
LOL Time changes a man.

On that note....Glam Metal.
As silly as this may sound, metal is more than JUST the music (though that is most of it) but also in terms of just atmosphere, mindset...all that. Glam is the least metal, overall.
Being said, these are all generalities of course!
whitedragon1969 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitedragon1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 8:22am
Hey glam is not my favourite kind of hard rock/metal but have you ever wondered how many people brings this sub-genre to hard rock and metal music? OK i understand we have some "Heavy" guys here but as about me today i've just return from my holidays back at home. At the road i was listening songs like "Bad Medicene" from Bon Jovi, "Foolin" from Def Leppard, "Poison" from Alice Cooper, and God be my witness these songs sound great! After all my question is: How many people brings a band like Bon Jovi to metal music and how many a band like Slayer? Talking about myself when i start listening to hard music back at the 80's my first band was not Judas Priest but Joe Lynn Turner's era of Rainbow - Dio era was too heavy for me...

Edited by whitedragon1969 - 09 Aug 2010 at 8:25am
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 3:33pm
I could not vote myself. They are all metal.Big smile Besides people might think I am a bit extreme for an ole' b*****d Wink
One major issue............Alright !  Who voted Industrial ? Shocked The home of Rammstein Big smile 
Matt
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 9:16am
In my view Glam Metal but as Stooge wrote: "The least metal elements?  I didn't vote anyways.  Still varies band to band." But for me, in a general sub-genre view, Glam Metal win in the sense of this poll.

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 12 Aug 2010 at 9:17am
Ulfednar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulfednar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:23am
This should have been a multi-choice poll. Alternative, *core and Glam are entirely rock in my opinion, and Symphonic, Folk and Avant-Garde, for the most part, are styles and not genres.

But, given the options, I voted for Alternative, as I've never before heard it called metal before.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:46am
Ulfednar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulfednar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 8:17am
Cheers for the links, but they don't change the fact that, until now, I had not heard of it. Didn't mean to say anyone pulled the term out of their butts, I just find it inadequate.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 8:18am
It's a case-by-case basis IMO. In every genre of metal there will be a few borderline acts, but most of them seem to fall in prog metal, traditional heavy metal, and glam metal. The difference between prog rock and prog metal, or hard rock and heavy metal can sometimes be very small. It seems that most glam metal acts don't fall on my metal radar, so I gave that my vote.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

I could not vote myself. They are all metal.Big smile Besides people might think I am a bit extreme for an ole' b*****d Wink
One major issue............Alright !  Who voted Industrial ? Shocked The home of Rammstein Big smile 

Rammstein are downright dance/pop when you remove the guitars, that's why. Tongue
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:53am
A lot of metal music could be considered to belong to some other genre with a change of instrumentation. Replace the guitars and bass with synthesizers and the drums with a pulsating 4/4 bass drum, and a lot of Maidens songs would be Eurodance; change the computers to guitar, drums and bass, and a lot of The Prodigy's music would be tech thrashy metal.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Rammstein are downright dance/pop when you remove the guitars, that's why. Tongue
Oh no is that why I found em' next to Justin Bieber at the cd store LOL anyway if Till quits they could always get Justin Big smile They are Metal to me as millions of fans will agree with me but you could always get a sign at their next Gig ( if there is one) with that on it and stand at the gate WinkBig smileOuch
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic