MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mastodon esque bands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mastodon esque bands
    Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:31am

to me Mastodon is the epitome for my metalheart, they have all the elements I like about metal, and they speak to me, but I have trouble finding bands which give me the same joy and pleassure as they doo, the blend of mythology, sludge metal, hardcore, prog/psychadelia metal, intensety, and alot more.

I have been wanting to get into Isis (since they are Mastodons sisterband/soulbrothers) and Gojira who is Mastodons brother from another mother, I also somehowe like metalcore bands like Killswitch Engage (whom I think share some similarity ore are in some how in the same playground as Mastodon, (Isis and Gojira).

I mostly want bands which sounds more like the sound Mastodon have in songs like Trilobite, Trainwreck and Ol'Nessie, Megalodon and Aqua Dementia, dark, looming, gloomy, slow, but menacing.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:24am
Isis is probably a good place to start. I can also highly recommend Neurosis if you want slow gloomy yet very aggressive stuff.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:32am
Ok thanks (takk), yes I been wanting to get into Isis (or aquire some albums, I have gotten into them allready), like their music.

and I also like Neurosis have seen them live so they are quite good, like their long and drooning songs, I think their michrophones are conected to the abyss though, they are pretty dark Evil Smile and evil.

and by the way if you are following the Champons league qualification their is a possibilaty for FC Copenhagen  to play against my team Rosenborg FK
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 1:37pm
I hope you beat the crap out of themAngry. My club Lyngby Boldklub are known for their hatred against FCK. We have a bad history involving former president of FCK Flemming �stergaard, who used to be the president in Lyngby Boldklub until he abandoned Lyngby and "stole" some of our best players at the time, while he was at it.  This dates almost 15 years back, but the animosity remains. Never fuck with a football fanLOL.

I�m not a hardcore hater though. Just not in my nature it seems. But you still have my permission to beat the crap out of themBig smile.

Edited by UMUR - 05 Aug 2010 at 1:38pm
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:27pm
we will, we will (if we got them though, RBK can meet them are 4 others which are Anderlecht, FC Bacel, Hapoel Tel-Aviv and Sparta Praha) so better to get FCK and Tel-Aviv then Anderlecht, and Basel is a tough Swiss team.

but this is another topic so will leave Champions league to another thread (lets troll some Iron Maiden polls with this)
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 8:29pm
Isis, Neurosis, Baroness, Mouth of the Architect, Minsk... they would all be good places to start.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 8:54pm
Is it weird if I don't think that Mastodon sounds anything like Neurosis/Isis? Just cause they share a sludge tag...
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 1:43am
I think there are some similarities that should appeal to fans of Mastodon.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 4:20am
Mellotron!!!!

I have been enjoying this Band on PrOgulus since it was sent in Big smile.

A bit more Proggie than Mastadon (though they are regarded having elements of Prog Metal) but they
are who I reference as a "Sound".
http://www.myspace.com/mellotronmetal

Try "Anti-Depressive Delivery" and "Black Bonzo", but its like Mastadon meets Uriah Heep Big smile!
Sections can be VERY heavy but can be very Prog Rock as well (mostly).

Anti:
http://www.antidepressivedelivery.com/

Bonzo:
http://www.blackbonzo.com/index.php?p=1

You might like:

Presto Ballet (previously "Vanderhoof"):
http://www.prestoballet.com/

Fair to Midland:
http://www.myspace.com/fairtomidland

Melodic, harsh and everything else Vocals, Heavy Music and odd turns, with Keyboards and again
some hints of Uriah Heep (maybe not with FTM though) and Alternative.

Big smile

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 07 Aug 2010 at 4:23am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 5:18am
i have one album by the Sword which is also Mastodonesque, in sound but not in complexaty
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

Isis, Neurosis, Baroness, Mouth of the Architect, Minsk... they would all be good places to start.

Star

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image