Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audio file formats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audio file formats
    Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 4:02am
Now speaking of audio file formats in which you listen to music on computer (if you listen to at all), which format d'you prefer? Is 128kbps MP3 enough or do you prefer your music lossless, or what?

I'm basically keeping everything above 192kbps, preferably 320kbps and most often lossless FLAC. Not that I'm an audiophile, but it's more like a principle: if I buy an album and rip it on computer, I want to restore it in its most original form, not losing anything, even if I sometimes fail to hear the difference even between 192kbps MP3 and FLAC. Disk space is cheap nowadays so I don't mind the size of FLAC files at all.

Edited by Vehemency - 31 Jul 2010 at 4:02am
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 5:13am
When I bought my Ipod I ripped all my collection in 320kbps, but before long I couldn't decide what to remove from the 74gb thing to make room for new purchases, so I re-encoded them all into 192kbps to put off the hard decisions for a while. I haven't noticed any real difference between the two file qualities, but I prefer listening to cds when I'm at home. Not necessarily because of the sound quality, but the feeling of standing in front of my cd shelf trying to figure out what to put on next, taking the disc out and putting it in Heart
<- Click on this!
Charcaroth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charcaroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 4:07am
I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile, but I tend to favor MP3s because they're nice and universal. I tend to like everything at 320 kbps, though. Sometimes I'll settle for a little lower, depending on the type of music. Some music simply requires better audio quality than others, but I still tend to dislike FLAC files because they're pretty big, won't play on a lot of things, and I haven't yet noticed any drop in quality from lossless FLAC files, and 320 kbps MP3 files.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 4:22am
Mostly my collection is in 320; what I've been doing recently, though, is ripping my CD's in FLAC and then converting them into MP3's/MP4's with a super duper high bitrate; that lets me have the high quality and makes them usable on my iPod and other devices.

For example, I converted a free, legal Kayo Dot bootleg which was only available as FLAC into 1411KBPS MP3. That way I get the best of both worlds.

This is a recent thing though, so about 95% of my collection is still in 320KBPS MP3.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 6:44pm
1411 kbps MP3, Joel? I don't think that's possible. That's the bitrate for uncompressed audio files!
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 6:22am
Oh, they're actually .WAV's.

kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 11:03am
i prefer buying original cds, but when some albums are too rare and can't get my hands on them, i get them in flac, so my entire collection can be played properly on my sound system (owner of a pair of microlab solo 7, but i hope i'll upgrade soon to some more serious stuff)

recently i've started downloading my flacs in 24/96 vinyl formats - that usually helps with the accuracy of instruments and gives a more natural feel of the music
alberto mu�oz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alberto mu�oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 12:16pm

i like any audio format, MP3 about 192 kbps by minimum, wav and flac if they avaible.

BTW Winamp can play flac files without a problem.

Also i recommend the foobar2000  player it's a very good one.

CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 2:10pm
I, personally, like listening to the CDs themselves, but since i use the ipod 95% of the time, I rip everything i have in 320k VBR. I get the goth of the two worlds: I get music in a reasonable size and and the dynamics keep being awesome.

Best format I have ever seen so far. Honestly, I think FLAC is useless if you use earphones, which is most of the cases of verybody here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic