MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did you get into metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 6:32pm
Pretty gradually for me too...

When I was younger, I listened to mostly alt. rock.  Guitar Hero got me to listen to Metallica and Megadeth, and I slowly picked up more thrashy stuff from that.
After that, I discovered Dream Theater, and my path to proggy metal was set.
kshskang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshskang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 11:25pm
Back in middle school, I discovered classic rock through bands such as Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and began to learn how to play guitar.

I researched general rock music of the past through the Internet and eventually came across Megadeth, who became the first undeniably metal band I started listening to (in contrast to acts such as Zeppelin and Black Sabbath). Soon, I discovered progressive rock/metal through of course, Dream Theater and became more drawn to the more technical side of music as I was (and still is!) an aspiring guitar player. At first, I had an aversion to death metal and most music employing extreme vocals because I had the false impression that most bands under those categories were satanic and immoral. However, I discovered Necrophagist near the end of eighth grade and couldn't help but be fascinated by the intricate guitar playing. Strangely enough, Necrophagist was my gateway drug into the realm of death metal.

Today, I generally embrace metal as a whole. I still do not really enjoy listening to -core and nu-metal but I will always respect the genres and not simply dismiss bands belong to those sub-genres for belonging to them.

\m/ Annihilate people
Sleeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 10:41am
Same way I got into prog really, a friend lent me his copies of Dream Theaters Images and Words and Scenes From a Memory and Symphony X's V: The New Mythology Suite and The Divine Wings of Tragedy. From there I've developed a taste for all kinds of metal that can remotely be labelled as progressive and have even started moving into other styles of metal now.
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:47am

From progressive metal. I was raised on progressive rock, blues and classical music. When I discovered prog metal, as time passed, I wanted heavier bands than DT and Symphony x. Then I discovered Death and, subsequently, death metal. Love at first sight.

Waiting View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waiting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 2:46pm

While I've been a pretty avid music lover since I was ten years old, for one reason or the other I always craved more aggressive stuff with more distortion. I started with Floyd, then Zeppelin, Then Yes (kind of a step backwards), the Porcupine tree, until I found Dream Theater. To be honest I never clicked with their music though. After visiting prog archives for the first time, I went and bought Opeth's Ghost Reveries, and the first extreme metal song I ever heard was Ghost of Perdition. Keep in mind I didnt know screaming or growling existed until this point, so those of you who know the song can probably imagine the shock I was in.

Four years later, metal is my favorite type of music. My favorite genre is post metal, followed by black and death metal. Cult of Luna is my favorite group, and I cant recommend their album "Somewhere along the Highway" enough. A masterpiece to rate all other masterpices against.

"Amidst Universal Pandemonium and Those Who Slither and Crawl Shall Rise Again Once More to Inherit the Earth"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:30am
To answer the question, I'm not sure I did. Wink This is precisely why I'm here though. I do like the odd metal band every know and then, but I've never fully embraced the genre. Having said that, I fear Pekka (with the help of this site) will make a convert out of me soon enough! We'll see...
Sleeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:00am
Hey Jimbo, love the avatar, Oldboy is such a great film and I love that sceen in particular.
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Sleeper Sleeper wrote:

Oldboy is such a great film and I love that sceen in particular.

Seconded. Amazing film, but the trilogy is pretty good though, if you like action/drama films and can cope with all that "kill yourself" culture of the far east.
Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 10:44pm
I got Quake II back in 1998.
It had some rockin' metal on the CD soundtrack by that Sonic Mayhem dude.
I then heard Iron Maiden when I got Carmageddon II : Carpocalypse Now back in 2000 and thought "Damn this band is pretty cool".
I'd say the whole "And then the rest is history" thing, but it's so cliche and goddamn it, I managed to say it anyway, argh
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 10:56pm
I started at alternative and I guess I was just gradually more drawn to heavier and heavier music. First Blink 182, then Green Day, then I Am Ghost, then Nine Inch Nails, so I guess I'd been interested in darker music, but I've always had metal friends who listened to stuff that was too much for me to handle, even though I loved listening to it and seeing the looks of disgust of those who were hearing it. Then I went to Warped Tour and I saw Killswitch, and I bought my first metal CD, "As Daylight Dies". At that point I was also listening to extreme metal bands on YouTube, and thinking it was pretty badass. From there I've just progressed and I listen to a diverse mix I think.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Kimba Snaps View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimba Snaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 11:47pm
Well, for me - I had little to no say in the matter.  Since I was a Tin Lid my Dad has always played his music on full blast - classics such as Iggy Pop and the Stooges to The Beatles to Black Sabbath to Sisters of Mercy and so on.  While other classmates were singing songs from the latest Disney classic, me and my sister and older brother were learning the lyrics to the Rolling Stones.

As I got older, my brother started playing the guitar, then the bass.  He formed local metal bands such as Blandis, Delucid and the brilliant Humanizerr.  By this stage, my brother asked if I wanted to learn how to do lighting for his band/s.  Of course, I took up this opportunity and was fortunate enough to travel the entire East Coast of Australia with my brother and be there to do lighting at such gigs as "Hellfest" in Brisvegas. 

I am so grateful to be a part of such a music orientated family, if it wasn't for my Dad introducing me to his brilliant range of music and if it wasn't for my brother taking me to and from his gigs, I definately would not be the person I am today.   Smile
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 4:16am
I went fishing with a friend of mine's older brother. He'd brought a boom box and one tape: "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden. I didn't catch any fish that day, but I guess I did get caught myself. I certainly was hooked on metal from that day on.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 10:55am
^It wouldn�t be near 2800 now would it? I used to have a friend who loved fishing and was quite the Maiden fan.
coorpz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coorpz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 1:06pm
I got into it because my dad was into it and that's all he would play when he used to pick me up from elementary school. 
Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Erased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 1:41pm
System of a Down were my first gateway to metal. There's something incredibly offbeat and catchy about them that you just had to love. I got into them after a few mates of mine sort of introduced me to metal at about 12/13. They were into bands like Korn etc as well who I couldn't get into.

Years later I just sorta stumbled into prog metal really through Porcupine Tree. They led to Opeth, Katatonia and so on. And I explored extreme metal genres from there.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 5:07am

If my first albums bought were prog (DSOTM, Crime of the Century and SEBTP were my first three), all bought in 74, in my first 20 stood: In Rock, Led Zep IV, Paranoid, Argus and a few more hard-rocking bands, all leading me  to early HM  >>> I was a jeans-claden youth with leather-coat and boots/running shoes and long hair, but I never cared to sow badges or patches on my jacket - basically I'm still dressed that way todayEmbarrassed)

Later a few more albums came to me as pure classics: Sad Wings, Van Halen's first, Rainbow Rising, Iron Maiden (debut), Anvil's debut,  etc... >>> some of these became transparent from overplaying them

but around the end of the 70's, I started discovering via Santana some of those wild Jazz-rock albums and my inter'est shifted, first to jazz-rock (79-83), then to jazz (hence with nickname of Trane for John Coltrane) starting in 83 .... which lead me to abandon metal  more or less abruptly  >>> this was a natural thing, since I didn't like much of the newer bands and currents and the older band's new sound started irritating me. Then of course came the Glam/hair metal era where I became embarrassed to even mention I liked some metal music....

Although I'm into prog still nowadays, the progmetal groups don't really appeal to me, if you'll except Tool, Mars Volta (not really metyal, I know), some Opeth and very few more . I still love a loud rock band ala RATM or RHCP, thoughHug 

Edited by Sean Trane - 07 Apr 2010 at 7:36am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 5:36am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^It wouldn�t be near 2800 now would it? I used to have a friend who loved fishing and was quite the Maiden fan.

No, it was in 5000 in the canal by the power plant. It was probably forthe best that we didn't catch anything - the fish are probably all mutated anyway ;-)

coorpz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coorpz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:23am
I never understood the hype surrounding Tool, though I don't hate them, I just think they are over rated as hell. Aenima was good, but 10,000 days and Lateralus are like sleep inducing tranquilizers. Even in the day time if I listen to them I will yawn. Again, I don't think it's bad but it's just boring!

I appreciate people stepping out of their boundaries. I mean, as the previous poster said, he likes loud music like RATM which I have no problem with. But I feel my foray into like "dark" and "oppressive" and all that kinda metal is done. Also I don't like those bands that try way too hard to incorporate stuff into their songs to sound edgy and experimental(and not in a good way); Unexpect...Ulver...Arcturus

Though I can say I don't listen to exclusive metal anymore I still enjoy the trip once in a while and I have been thoroughly impressed thus far with 666 International. It's so obnoxious yet intriguing, my head is literally ready to explode.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

No, it was in 5000 in the canal by the power plant. It was probably forthe best that we didn't catch anything - the fish are probably all mutated anyway ;-)

Ok wrong islandBig smile
EM Hearst View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EM Hearst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 12:52pm
i got into metal from my dad's record collection as a kid. he had tons of albums from black sabbath, judas priest, and motorhead, plus iron maiden's "killers" lp and ozzy's first two albums, along with a lot of 'almost-metal' like rainbow, deep purple, blue oyster cult, ac-dc, zeppelin, u.f.o., scorpions, kiss, and on and on....

later on in the 80's my dad introduced me to anthrax, metallica, megadeth, exodus and other thrash metal... and i eventually discovered King Diamond/Mercyful Fate and Slayer on my own, which both seemed like a step beyond; more extreme and dark, which suited my tastes perfectly... even at that young age. it just kept progressing from there...

it was the black sabbath albums that really stood out and captivated me as a child, cuz it was so dark and had this evil horror movie-feel that i loved when i was a kid... to this day they are my favorite band.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic