Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did you get into metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did you get into metal?
    Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 6:06am
The basic question of every music related forum, share us your life story in metal Wink

I don't have time to get to it now myself, but let's get the ball rolling people Smile
<- Click on this!
Sleepwalker View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 6:14am
I'm not sure, but I believe it was Tool that got me into Metal. 
I used to really hate Metal. I couldn't even stand the louder Porcupine Tree parts! LOL
Someone in my band (that rehearsed 2 times in a year) wanted to do a cover of Schism, so I checked that song out and I loved it. I hired a copy of Lateralus in my local library and ripped it onto my Ipod when I went on a holiday to France for two weeks. Despite the Ipod having a rubbish sound, I listened to the album over 60 times those two weeks (though mostly I didn't play the entire album). LOL
When I got back home I immediately ordered �nima and later got a real copy of Lateralus and 10,000 Days as well.

Edited by Sleepwalker - 27 Mar 2010 at 6:16am
DeathOfSeasons View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 6:24am
Well it began with the first band I considered my favourite band, Blink-182. From there I moved onto Punk Rock like Anti-Flag and such. I then discovered modern "tough guy" Hardcore Punk like Terror and Walls of Jericho. I then stumbled into Melodic Metalcore like Bullet For My Valentine, Atreyu and stuff like that. I didn't make much progress until someone recommended System of a Down. I loved them and someone else said Slipknot play similar music. I checked out Slipknot and I couldn't believe how heavy they were (obviously I don't feel that way now). Anyway, I started looking for heavier stuff so I purchased Reek of Putrefaction by Carcass, Bloodthirst by Cannibal Corpse and Covenant by Morbid Angel. Those three albums got me into the more extreme side of Metal.

I don't listen to any Nu Metal or Alternative Metal (besides Faith No More and System of a Down) anymore.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 6:32am
well I must admit it was Dream Theater with Images and Words which was my first real encounter with metal which made me a fan, then i bought some other prog metal acts like Treshold, Queensryche, A.C.Tmy collection of ether band is not huge but these are my fundation, futher on i listen to some Mastodon and they are now my favourite metal band, they guided me to the more brutal side of metal, Gojira, Opeth, Meshuggah, Dimmu Borgir, Vreid, Isis, Cynic, Atheist
hopefulli i will find more metal

Im not to found of power metal and chees but i like some Masterplan they are cool, and i like Megadeath, Pantera, Lamb of God, Defrones, Korn, some Rammstien
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 6:46am
It was when my uncle gave me his copy of Led Zep II......

The rest is history.
dean View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 8:15am
Same answer as for Prog: I grew up with it, it grew up with me.

I've been listening to Heavy Rock since The Book Of Taliesyn and Paranoid (never really got into Led Zepp though) - I still haven't worked out what The Old Wave Of British Heavy Metal was but followed the NWOBHM through the late 70s and 80s - however the standout band for me at that time was not NWOBHM, but more akin to Post-Punk: Head Of David. Skipped a bit during the hey-day of thrash and speed metal (liked it, but it wasn't my "first love"). Rediscovered Metal in the 90s through British Doom bands like Paradise Lost, Anathema, Cathedral, My Dying Bride as they morphed into Gothic Metal. (I also developed an inexplicable and incongruously fanatical devotion to Savatage at the same time, though I was never a fan of that genre until later). From the Peaceville three I went on to bands from Misanthrope records, Candlelight and Spinefarm and so onto Black Metal, Symphonic Black Metal (Dummu & Craddle) and every flavour of Gothic Metal I could find.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 8:39am
I first got really into music through Led Zeppelin and The Beatles. When I was around 9 years old, those two bands shaped my life. I was particularly a fan of Abbey Road, Revolver, and Sgt. Pepper's from The Beatles, and Led Zeppelin I and IV from Led Zeppelin.

Shortly after I found my love for prog rock. I got interested in the genre when I first heard ...And Then There Were Three by Genesis. When my dad gave me a copy of Selling England By The Pound, my life really changed. I became an absolute Gabriel-era Genesis fanatic. I would listen to The Lamb on a once-a-day basis, I would spend days trying to figure out how to play all of Tony Banks' solos, and I would listen to their other albums any time I had 45 minutes to burn.

After I discovered Genesis, my love of music in general really began (especially prog rock). I soon got into Yes, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Transatlantic, IQ, etc.... At this point I also began to get into bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden. That is when my love for prog metal began.

I first got into prog metal by the Score DVD by Dream Theater. My father was in the living room watching it, and soon I became quite the DT fan. I then became a fan of other prog metal bands like Pain of Salvation, Fates Warning, Savatage, Queensr�che, etc... Soon after I discovered Opeth, which opened the door to other progressive death metal acts. I also began to love Edge of Sanity and Death at this time. Then I began to investigate all types of extreme metal, with death metal, doom metal, and thrash metal being my favorite extreme metal genres.

So that is my journey of metal....

-Jeff
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:04am
To be perfectly honest, I don't remember when it happened exactly, though it was some time in the early Eighties. I grew up with Italian music, then discovered prog at an early age, but it wasn't until I was 20 or so that I discovered the harder edge of things - and, quite inexplicably, I got straight into it. By the mid-Eighties, I was a big metalhead, and bought mostly metal albums (which are still lying somewhere in the attic of my former home in Rome). I even had my own HM radio show for a couple of years - it was called "Heavy Duty" (like the Judas Priest song), and drew both approval and criticism from fellow HM fans (especially since I am a woman).

Unfortunately, when in 1987 I moved to another town because of work, I had to stop buying both albums and music magazines (I used to buy every issue of Kerrang! at the time), and got disconnected from the music world for a number of years. Thankfully, my love of music never died, and here I am once again!
NJCat_11 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCat_11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 12:10pm
I started taking guitar lessons when I was 12 years old, and it just so happened that my guitar teacher at that time was a huge Judas Priest fan.  Before that, I just listened to the crap on MTV.  I don't know where I'd be today if I hadn't met him.  Unfortunately for me though, he left the music store I take lessons at to become a roadie.  Great guy.
Metalbaswee View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 12:14pm
I really, evolved into it. First i was listening to some Van Halen, Red Hot Chili Peppers etc. Then i started to like the harder stuff like Metallica and Slayer. Then i got myself into all sorts off Metal. That took me about 2 years. First real metal song i ever heard was Metal Militia. Hetfield's riffing just blew me away!
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:02pm
Pink Floyd - Porcupine Tree - Dream Theater - Opeth.

Like that.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:19pm
Some of the first bands that got me into metal were Korn, Metallica, Deftones, and I even went through a brief Limp Bizkit phase (looking back though, I'll still argue their first 2 albums have their moments).  The first album that totally blew me away in the genre was Master of Puppets.  It was from Metallica most of all that helped shaped my taste in metal.  They are the only one of the above mentioned bands that I can still listen to on a regular basis.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:21pm
Black Sabbath originally and with the current stuff since about 1995 I hear a lot at my sons or through one of my daughters and being extreme does not worry me,it is those ones who do most of the boundary pushing. Not a big fan of Symphonic, I prefer just a band
Matt
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:27pm
I heard strange sounds coming from my older brothers room. Twisted Sister and Bon Jovi. Soon Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica, Voivod and Kreator. From there it�s been one long journey through genres.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Sleepwalker Sleepwalker wrote:

I'm not sure, but I believe it was Tool that got me into Metal....

I didn't so much get into metal as metal got into me.  That's what I get for sitting on a tool.  Butt seriously....

As a young child my oldest brother exposed me to Iron Butterfly.  "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" is what set the old metal ball rolling for me, I'd say.  After that it was Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple Led Zeppelin and AC/DC that also helped pave the way -- then Judas Priest.  I'm still not so much one for modern metal -- a lot of it seems more pretentious, in a way, and less fun these days (the blues influence was lost ina lot of it, and I like that bluesy rock and roll kind of heavy metal).  I'm more of a pre NWoBHM kind of guy.

I must admit that I'm not the hardest core metal guy around, though some people might be surprised how hardcore I am in other ways,  but I dig hard rock and roll and a fair amount of modern metal and would like to discover lots of metal to bang by.

Metal isn't just music; it's a way of life -- heavy booze, heavy banging, and heavy metal, who could really ask for anything more? I'm not so much into the annihilation thing, though 'tis better to bang out than to burn out I say.
- -brutalogan
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I even had my own HM radio show for a couple of years - it was called "Heavy Duty" (like the Judas Priest song), and drew both approval and criticism from fellow HM fans (especially since I am a woman).  

Wow, that's so cool Clap

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I even went through a brief Limp Bizkit phase (looking back though, I'll still argue their first 2 albums have their moments).

I did the same around their third album, and I do still think there's some really good stuff in there, especially the guitar department. Around the same time I tried out Korn and Papa Roach, and while I enjoyed them a lot, it just didn't last that long and I ended up selling the albums I had from them. Good stuff on first listens, but wears out very fast.

What had happened before was hearing Metallica and Alice Cooper at my day care place at the ripe age of six, I particularly well remember learning what Kill 'Em All means in Finnish (that was somehow scary, confusing, impressive and cool) and really enjoying Alice Cooper's Time to Kill. I look up at that song as my first favourite song ever. I lost touch of music for some years after that and then returned to rock with Green Day and the Offspring before finding Metallica again, and soon after Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath. 

Then along the years came System of a Down, Tool and Dream Theater and apart from the aforementioned Metallica and Maiden and newer discoveries Slayer and Testament I kind of lost interest in thrash and the more traditional kind of metal. The new bands I found from time to time were somehow more special, like Swallow the Sun, S�lstafir, Opeth, Mastodon and Celtic Frost.

Just recently I've started to dig deeper into the Metallica/Maiden area starting with Megadeth and Judas Priest and at the same time taken it into new weird extremes with Kayo Dot. A while ago I thought I'd pretty much heard all metal there is to like, but now I'm sure there's lots of good stuff out there I just don't know about...
<- Click on this!
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 1:26pm
I was brought up with prog, trad. metal, glam metal, AOR and elements of blues rock and folk rock . My love of metal was inevitable, mostly because of Black Sabbath, after which I got into Ozzy's solo stuff. AC/DC, Van Halen, Motley Crue and UFO also played a big part in the beginnings of my 'metal years' as I call them. I eventually thirsted for something a little heavier and added thrash to my list of likes with Megadeth as my favoured band of the genre. I also ran into grunge a little later which provided me with such gems as Gruntruck and Alice In Chains. Over time I have also took a little liking to some prog metal and doom metal. Tongue
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 5:00pm
The doctor prescribed some Magnesium and Calcium, but I mixed up the recipients and...
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 8:05pm
Firstly I got in Rock music in general and worked my way up to different genres after I got bored with Pop.

Thankfully I was put off by pop and still amLOL by the time I got to my teens.

But it was around school a friend of minw introduced me Metallica, this helped me to discover a more heavier and faster side to rock , just like the Pink Floyd did with me to Prog and Rock in general.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 7:09am
Gradually, really...

I started with The Sweet, but like just about everyone else, didn't realise that they were a formative heavy metal band (don't tell me they were Glam, I'm talking about the Music, not the look!). I saw them on Top of the Pops back in 1974, following ABBA, Gary Glitter, Slade and Mud - and they blew the place apart.

The first song from "Fanny Adams" should tell you all you need to know -"Set Me Free". It's up there with Queen's "Stone Cold Crazy" of the same year.

Being a 10 year-old kid, this was my only exposure to metal music, and it wasn't until I saw the Sex Pistol's notorious interview with Bill Grundy, and heard the power of "Anarchy in the UK" that I started listening to the music charts regularly (had to start somewhere), then got into Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Motorhead, who were releasing singles at the time.

From friends at school I borrowed Black Sabbath, Wishbone Ash and Blue Oyster Cult records, but my induction really began when I bought a copy of music rag Smash Hits (it had a feature on the Sex Pistols...), and read a review of AC/DC's "Highway to Hell".

They hated it and gave it 3/10, but it was their description featuring mentions of piledrivers and sledgehammers that made me really curious - I'd read similar descriptions of The Skids' "Into The Valley", and loved that song for the growly guitars and bass, despite its mid-tempo chug. To be honest, I did prefer The Damned for their energy and speed, but what the hell - it was that review that made me buy "Highway to Hell" and become a confirmed metal head.

When Metallica appeared 4 years later, I joined a thrash metal band. The guitarist, Jay, is now in a band with Daniel P Carter, the Friday Rock Show DJ on Radio One, called Hexes.

Edited by Certif1ed - 29 Mar 2010 at 7:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic