MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime for metalheads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by musiclover60sn70s musiclover60sn70s wrote:

The last time I watched anime was some ages ago...I can't remember what it was! But I know I enjoyed Gurren Lagann, despite how overblown it was LOL! 'Mech the size of several galaxies...just saying!LOL

LOL
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Valdis Valdis wrote:

The last anime I watched (1 month ago more or less) was Baccano! and it was excellent. It is about immortals and fights between different Mafia families. Perhaps the chronology is a bit confusing at first, but the development of the story is great. Cool
Baccano! is one of the best anime ever. I'll have to watch it again some time soon.

Edited by bartosso - 28 Sep 2014 at 9:00pm
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 4:46pm

The last anime I watched (1 month ago more or less) was Baccano! and it was excellent. It is about immortals and fights between different Mafia families. Perhaps the chronology is a bit confusing at first, but the development of the story is great. Cool

It took me a while to get a grip of the plot/characters but once I did I couldn't stop watching.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

It took me a while to get a grip of the plot/characters but once I did I couldn't stop watching.

What is it about anime that gets people?

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:29am

Same here.
Valdis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 10:14am
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I think that is due to many of them have very good plots. You know, I really don't remember why I started watching anime. I believe I was searching for good series on the Internet, and then 'Death Note' appeared in a recommendation list. I watched it and I loved it.

However, there are several things I don't like about anime such as generic personalities, girls with huge eyes or boobs, stupid and non-sense stories LOL That's why I choose very carefully which anime to watch. I don't enjoy wasting my time...

Btw, 'Monster' is an awesome anime too. Wink
Rely on nothing under heaven.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 11:18am

I think that is due to many of them have very good plots. You know, I really don't remember why I started watching anime. I believe I was searching for good series on the Internet, and then 'Death Note' appeared in a recommendation list. I watched it and I loved it.

However, there are several things I don't like about anime such as generic personalities, girls with huge eyes or boobs, stupid and non-sense stories LOL That's why I choose very carefully which anime to watch. I don't enjoy wasting my time...

Btw, 'Monster' is an awesome anime too. Wink

There are girls with huge boobs? Big smile No wonder LOL

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 12:01pm

The last anime I watched (1 month ago more or less) was Baccano! and it was excellent. It is about immortals and fights between different Mafia families. Perhaps the chronology is a bit confusing at first, but the development of the story is great. Cool

However, there are several things I don't like about anime such as generic personalities, girls with huge eyes or boobs, stupid and non-sense stories LOL That's why I choose very carefully which anime to watch. I don't enjoy wasting my time...

Btw, 'Monster' is an awesome anime too. Wink
I think there's a lot of anime fans just like you (me included). I don't really watch that much anyway but I still think anime "industry" is much healthier in general than western live-action movie/tv industry. Even though there's a lot of crappy anime, there's also a lot of very ambitious and intriguing ones, produced every year. I think Japanese people are bolder when it comes to controversial/philosophical themes and they somehow succeed at combining them with accessibility (the most recent example for me is Attack on Titan, hyped as hell all around the globe). Something that Hollywood doesn't even try to do anymore with their brainless blockbusters (except maybe movies like Inception, both extremely popular and ambitious).

I agree on the problems you mentioned, but again, there's a significant number of animes that managed to avoid or at least reduce their presence (Steins;Gate and Code Geass are good examples of character driven anime)

Also, the reason I watch anime is that... it's animated. I generally don't like live-action movies that much because you can literally turn off your imagination - you have everything on the screen: real people, real places. With anime, however, your imagination still has to process what you see and to me it's amazing. 

I'm not an expert on anime but based on my limited experience I can recommend:

Steins;Gate 
Bakemonogatari 
Code Geass (1st and especially 2nd season)
Wolf's Rain
Ergo Proxy
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
Sora No Woto
Attack on Titan
Psycho-Pass
Baccano!
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 8:27pm
I've just started watching Kill la Kill.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 4:35pm
^^^ What is it about?

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 5:01pm
I've watched only 2 episodes so far but this anime was really hyped and I know more or less what are the key elements of it. An over the top, absurd and intense ride it is, but it also turns out to be an interesting social commentary. It's basically about a girl on a quest to find the one responsible for her father's death. She's travelling with a half of giant red scissors. She ends up in an academy where students status is determined by the class of their uniform. The uniforms give them superhuman abilities... Okay, I give up, I can't describe it, just watch an episode, you may like it... for more than one reason Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 9:40pm
^^^ Wacko LOL

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:33pm
I have a modest anime collection myself. I have a weakness for Robotech which is the American bastardization of Macross Saga and two other series.

Speaking of Macross, Macross Plus is a pretty amazing series.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 6:49pm
^ These are all mecha animes, right? I watched a very good sci fi anime with mecha elements just a few days ago: Sidonia no Kishi. Recommended.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 7:06pm
Yeah, they're mecha animes. When I was a kid I'd watch a lot of Robotech... I mean it's jet fighters that can transform into giant robots and they were battling giant aliens with all sorts of colorful hair; things couldn't be more awesome than that.
Valdis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 4:48am
These days I'm watching Jigoku Shoujo anime. It's quite entertaining Big smile
Rely on nothing under heaven.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 8:48am
This is an older film, but I quite like it.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:04am
Watched the movie Colorful a couple days ago. I liked it quite a bit.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Never heard of it, what's the gist? Like, what kind of anime is it?

I've finished Kill la Kill a couple of days ago. It's been getting better with every episode and I ended up loving it. Great and unique series and a clever, tongue-in cheek cultural commentary too. As far as I know it was the second most hyped anime of 2013, along with Attack on Titan. I feel tempted to say I liked KLK better, but they're very different so it wouldn't make sense. 

Also, an interesting analysis of the series:
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Never heard of it, what's the gist? Like, what kind of anime is it?
An unnamed soul who has passed on is given a "second chance" at life in the body of a 14 year old boy who has recently committed suicide. It's kind of a drama but, obviously with some supernatural elements. While the subtext is dark, the tone is surprisingly light, or, rather, bittersweet. Based on a Japanese novel of the same name.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic