MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King's X Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King's X Appreciation Thread
    Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 11:38am
King's X is a great band, they deserve their own thread Smile. They are skilled, talented musicians; Ty Tabor is an amazing guitarist and a good vocalist as well.

I also love Ty Tabor's work with Platypus and The Jelly Jam.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 12:18pm
King's X are one of my favorite bands.  I seem to have a thing for trios.  I saw them live for the first time on their latest tour.  They had local bands Tiles, and Mellotron opening for them.  It was a great show.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 1:17pm

Thumbs Up

Fine band indeed!

....and I found out that Scott is into threesomes LOL Tongue
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 1:30pm
Oy!!!!
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 2:57pm
LOL

I saw King's X last year supporting Porcupine Tree, and enjoyed them way more than SW's band. We have their first two albums, and spin them quite often, though I'd like to get some more stuff by them.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 4:58pm
Great band, no doubt.  I've only seen them in a smaller opening role in 2003 playing before Joe Satriani and headliner Dream Theater.  My introduction to the band was a few months before that concert when I found a compilation album with both Dream Theater ("Pull Me Under (Radio Edit)") and Kings X ("Black Flag") on it, both groups I had never heard before.

It's hard to choose a favorite album of theirs.  I own all their albums up to and including Ear Candy, plus Black Like Sunday.  I've only reveiwed 2 of their albums so far (Dogman 4.5, Kings X 4), but if I were to do the others today I could see myself giving each of their first 5 albums at least 4's (and can think of a few 5's as well).
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 2:41pm
Really like King's X and have bought everything they've released. My favourite album is Gretchen Goes To Nebraska. Only managed to catch them live once around 1990 in a little club in Newcastle.
Charcaroth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charcaroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 3:36am
I really love those first four albums. There's really nothing like them out there, so beautiful and otherworldly. I've been liking "XV" a lot too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 4:13am
Good to see fans here Smile,

I have been into them since their debut and seeing the Vid "King" on MTV, from there I was hooked and got the 1st 2 albums on LP, and then collected their CD's (and rare Single CD's) ever since.  I also have ALL the "colours" of the "Dogman" album (though I thought I saw an Orange one too).
Though I have missed out on the more "Rare" solo albums of Doug, Jerry and Ty that are put out by friend of Kings X from The Galactic Cowboys. Molken Music, an independent label started by Wally Farkas (Which apparently, he supplies himself  from time to time at Hollywoods "Amoeba Music" Record store).

I always describe the Band as:
Picture a Singer who is a tall thin Black man with Native American roots (Read "Picture" lyrics) who sang like a Gospel singer and plays various Basses including a "12 String", Ty Tabor who sings like John Lennon and makes his guitar scream with passion, and Jerry Gaskill who beats his 7 piece drum kit into submission with great groove and has a voice like George Harrison, whom all Harmonize vocals, into a Heavy Metal, Soul, Funk, Prog Infused musical explosion! Tongue
Say THAT 5 times real fast! LOL

"Ear Candy" is likely the last album to have that "sound", but I've been rediscovering others as well and liking what I hear with a new sense of openess.
Their 2 last albums "Ogre Tones" and "XV" seem to be going back to the sound that they started with, but a bit heavier, but also keeping the "Beatles'esque" songs and melodies in the mix.

My fave Songs though have to be "Summer Land" and "Pleiades" which apparently
is the signature song that gave the Band "Their Sound" thanks to Ty.

Summerland:

A fave side Project was "Supershine", who was Doug and Bruce Franklin of Trouble and they made an
explosive combination Big smile.  They also do an excellent version of the "Grand Funk Railroad" song "Shining On".

And Ty and "Platypus/Jelly Jam" with John Myung on Bass, Derek Sherinian on Keys (Member, and Ex-member of Dream Theater) and Rod Morgenstein on Drums (Dixie Dregs, Winger ). A Prog Metal/Jam Band.

Good stuff all around . . . and still havent seen them live (snif) they always come to LA at the wrong time Cry.

("Julie" is another beautiful song from "XV")

Wiki has a very comprehensive page on Kings X:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_X

Also try:
Atomic Opera and Galactic Cowboys Smile

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 08 Aug 2010 at 5:00pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charcaroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 10:11pm
Damn, Platypus is awesome! I hadn't managed to hear them yet.

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 11:04pm
Be sure to hear what Platypus is now . . . "Jelly Jam" Smile:

"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charcaroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 3:58am
Man, Ty Tabor kicks so much ass! Truly excellent.

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 1:43pm
About time this great band released a new album. The last couple have been a real return to form.
boysmithers View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysmithers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 4:05pm
I only have "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska" but I love it! I play 12-string bass so that was why I bought it... Doug Pinnick has a great, grinding tone (not to mention the great songs!!!)
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 12:44pm
Jerry Gaskill suffers Heart AttackCry

Apparently he is doing alright after surgery . . .

King�s X drummer Jerry Gaskill suffered a heart attack Saturday night (Feb. 25). Fortunately, the group reports that he is in stable condition following surgery at an unknown hospital.

Gaskill�s bandmate, bassist Doug �Dug� Pinnick reported the news on his Facebook page Sunday afternoon: �Jerry had a heart attack last night. He was operated on and is in stable condition at the hospital. We�re all waiting for more info. I will keep you posted.�

Early this morning (Feb. 27), it appears Gaskill is recovering well based on another Pinnick post that revealed his bandmate �woke up pulling cords out� and feeling �feisty.�

Gaskill, Pinnick and guitarist Ty Tabor have been performing together for over 30 years in King�s X. The group has released 12 studio albums, the most recent being 2008′s �XV.� The band has a spring U.S. tour scheduled to kick off on March 28 in Austin, Texas. It is unknown if those plans will be changed by Gaskill�s recovery, which we hope is speedy and complete.

Fans can send their support to Gaskill via his official Facebook page. A note posted there yesterday reads,� On behalf of Jerry and his family�Thank you for the get well wishes and prayers.�

Face Book pages:

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 27 Feb 2012 at 12:48pm

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 1:12pm

Best wishes to Jerry on a full recovery.   

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 11:38pm
I really like King's X, I own Dogman and Gretchen Goes to Nebraska, which are both excellent albums. They have a great mix of hard rock, grunge (On Dogman), and heavy metal.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 1:48am
This is a band I have been reading about ever since I first got into metal, but to my eternal shame, I've never checked them out properly.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 2:20pm
I recently purchased Ty Tabor's most recent solo album and his King's X demo albums called Tackleboxes 1 and 2.  I recently read that they were back on tour, so hopefully the studio isn't too far away. 
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 2:28pm
new Jelly Jam album in May
I can't wait!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic