MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Diamond appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Diamond appreciation thread
    Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 2:10pm
Hey, I saw the Metallica Appreciation Thread and I thought: why not?! King deserves his own thread too!

I met him/his music thanks to my ex-girlfriend (yes ex-girlfriend!) a loooong time ago. So far I've got three albums of His Majesty: Abigail, Them and Conspiracy. All of them are great! What else would you recommend? Smile
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 2:19pm
King has several quality albums.  The only one that I would say I was disappointed with was Give Me Your Soul Please.  Overall, his output has been consistently good as a whole.

With the ones you mentioned, one of my favorites is The Puppet Master.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 3:13pm
I quite like "Give Me Your Soul ... Please". "The Puppet Master" is a favorite of mine, too.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Hey, I saw the Metallica Appreciation Thread and I thought: why not?! King deserves his own thread too!

I met him/his music thanks to my ex-girlfriend (yes ex-girlfriend!) a loooong time ago. So far I've got three albums of His Majesty: Abigail, Them and Conspiracy. All of them are great! What else would you recommend? Smile

well, you've got his best work already, whatever came after those three albums follow the same pattern.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 2:00am
I know it�s been a while since the last post. Actually about a yearBig smile, but a thread about King Diamond should definitely have more posts than this one before the discussion closes.

I�ve followed King Diamond (and Mercyful Fate) since the late eighties. I wasn�t very old when I found "Abigail" and "Them" on my local library and loaned the vinyls. Those albums scared the shit out of me, and while it would be a couple of years before I was fully able to understand and appreciate King Diamond, those library loans laid the groundwork for me being the fan I am today.

Now I�m probably a bit conservative, but the first five albums stand as something really special in my book and while I don�t think King Diamond has yet released a bad album, none of the albums released after "The Eye" have impressed me in the same way as the early albums. Most are above standard business as usual to me. The thrashy edge that some of the eighties albums contained (especially "Them") is not as dominant as it used to be and I think that�s one of the things I miss the most on later Kind Diamond albums. Those killer riffs have become a bit more restrained.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 10:21am
I'm with UMUR. I am a HUGE King Diamond fan, "Them" is among my top 3 favourite albums ever.

To answer your question, you need Fatal Portrait, the amazing debut, with such gems such as Dressed in White, which features Andy LaRocque's amazing licks except for the usual godly vocal lines by the King. A power metal masterpiece. Also, Halloween, a heavy metal masterpiece this time (the album is basically an equal dose of heavy/power metal), this is probably the most known song off the album. But every song rules, I'll just mention the opener The Candle, with the beautiful intro and the dark melodies of King's voice stealing the show.  The overall sound can be described as a rawer (and perhaps darker) Abigail.

The other album you need is The Eye. This has a rather thinner sound in the production than the usual, warm, analog sound he had before but it still delivers razor sharp guitar work. If I could find a falw it would be the use of the drum machine. Mikkey Dee had left to join Dokken (of all bands!) after the recording of Conspiracy and he was replaced with Snowy Shaw. He is a magnificent drummer but Roadrunner Records made huge budget cuts to King Diamond on this album. But he did program the drum machine masterfully, you can get the idea of his playing.
A great album as well, The Eye's best tracks include Eye of the Witch and Behind These Walls, both masterpieces, classic KD brilliance. 

It was bad news for Kind Diamond after this record. While the band was for quite sometime the label's strongest prioroty and highest seller, the rise of thrash and particularly the success of Sepultura and Annihilator, made KD a lower priority, lower budgets and to top it off, there was no supporting tour for the album (hence there is only one t-shirt from that era btw).

After that album, things went downhill for a number of reasons. First, Pete Blakk, who was a great guitarist left to form his own horror concept band, Totem. Which did not do well. Snowy Shaw was transfered to the Mercyful Fate reunion band, in 1993. Not that he played on that album either, still a drum machine, although a less obvious one. 

-- parenthesis---
To hear Snowy Shaw's amazing drumming, I highly recommend Memento Mori's Rhyme of Lunacy, a supergroup of sorts, featuring Messiah Marcolin of Candlemass on vocals, Mike Wead (then known for Hexxenhaus and a brief involvement with Candlemass - see Nightfall, then he joined Mercyful Fate in 1996 and King Diamond in 2000! It all connects really) and Snowy. That was Snowy's first studio recording btw.  The music was described at the time as Candlemass meets King Diamond, on drugs! Quite successfully too. Great band, they even got proggier on the second release, Life, Death and Other Morbid Tales. Anyway!
-----/parenthesis----

King Diamond re-surfaced ini 1994, after the successful Mercyful Fate reunion, with Spider's Lullaby, which was quite the disappointment. The most obvious problem is the terribly weak and minimal drumming on the album, esp. compared to the previous stellar playing. Herb Simonsen was not really a very adequate replacement for Pete Blakk and even Andy Larocque seems out of shape. Eventually, I personally grew to like the album for what it is, even though the best track is the self-titled one, which is a funny little piece. 

Things picked up a bit with The Graveyard, although I still think the overall sound suffers notably compared to the 80s productions. Cool story though.

The best album of the post-golden era, in my opinion is Voodoo. Better sound, better playing and a better drummer. The Exorcist is such an awesome song.

From then on, it is a steady decline imo. House of God has a couple of good songs, which would be among the highlights of Spider's Lullaby for example (namely The Trees Have Eyes and The Black Devil) but after that we have what is probably King's worst album (Abigail II, totally unnecessary sequel). The Puppet Master is much better, a good album even. Give Me Your Soul Please is very mediocre imo.

So, there you have it. I wholeheartedly recommend Fatal Portrait and The Eye. I cautiously recommend Voodoo, Puppet Master and perhaps the Graveyard.

And I hope you already own Melissa and Don't Break the Oath by Mercyful Fate. Uber heavy metal classics, fantastic albums and VERY influential. I also really like In the Shadows and Time from the reunion albums.

In my opinion, the problem with post-90 King Diamond is that he divided his inspiration in two bands, without having the amazing team he had in the 80s, especially in the drum department. Like butter spread over too much bread, as that line went!

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 10:28am
I agree that The Spider's Lullaby isn't the greatest KD album, but I love the opening track "From The Other Side".
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 10:32am
Yeah, it's not bad, perhaps the second best track on there. I really wish there was a version with a better drummer. So empty and it shows on that song. The self-titled has that mid-tempo simplicity that suits it. But this was a nice fast opener, which begs for Mansion in Darkness type of drums, imo.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 10:56am
Yeah that organic eighties drumming by Mikkey Dee just can�t be topped and it meant so much to the music on the early albums.

Mikkey DeeBowdown
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 11:48am
There are a few KD releases I own that I haven't listened to for a few years.  One of which is The Graveyard.  I've got to put that into the rotation this week. Smile
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 2:17pm
^I wrote a review for "The Graveyard" a while back: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/the-graveyard--review.aspx?id=238185
buttsled View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttsled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 11:32am
I love King Diamond. If I ever get to see him live I am going to propose to my girlfriend during the show.

I agree that some of his work isn't as good as the best of his work (both MF and solo) but in my opinion it is all worth hearing/having.
Fatal Portrait>Abigail>Them>Conspiracy>The Eye is as good a 5 album run as any in the history of music.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 11:54am
I couldn�t agree more. 5 fantastic albums in a row. How many artists have a statistic like that?Headbanger

...oh and while I didn�t propose to my wife during the shows I�ve seen King Diamond twice:

King Diamond

2 times:
(7th of March 1997) Store VEGA, Copenhagen, Denmark
(20th of March 2001) Amager Bio, Amager, Denmark 

and Mercyful Fate three times:

Mercyful Fate

3 times:
(28th of May 1993) Gentofte Stadion, Gentofte, Denmark (yes the comeback showApprove)
(16th of July 1995) Alexandra, Copenhagen, Denmark
(7th of March 1997) Store VEGA, Copenhagen, Denmark

Edited by UMUR - 24 Oct 2011 at 11:59am
buttsled View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttsled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 12:06pm
Nice. The first time you saw King (and last time you saw Fate) was one of my best friend's (a HUGE King fan) 21st birthday. That would have been an epic experience for him.
My woman and I had plans to see him on the last planned US tour but he hurt his back and hasn't been back since. :(
I did see Fate once but I got so loaded I slept through almost all of the show. Idiot teenager.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 1:18pm
Yeah I�ve had a couple of similar experiences when I was younger tooLOL.

...on the subject of King Diamond�s health I�m not sure how he is doing after all the heart surgery he has been through in the last year or so. To be frank I�m a bit worried if we�ll ever hear from him againConfused. Anyone has some good news for me?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

(28th of May 1993) Gentofte Stadion, Gentofte, Denmark (yes the comeback showApprove)

Man, that was epic!!! They totally outplayed Metallica!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 1:49pm
Yeah it was pretty fantastic. I guess that�s another show the both of us attended huh Kim!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 1:51pm
Yup... and a legendary one it was.
genghiscon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 11:34am
Saw KD twice. Cant remember the dates. First time was in 86 for the Fatal Portrait tour. In Long Beach, Ca. at Fenders Ballroom.  Sentinel Beast and Exodus opened for him. Great Show. King really brought it that night.

Second time was in Anaheim, Ca. in 88 during the Them tour. Flotsam and Jetsam opened for him. Another fantastic show. The Them house set was awesome and really kept me sucked into the concert.

I agree with the previous opinions shared here. If you have his first five albums, you really already have the best of his work outside of his first two with Mercyful Fate.

(Still kicking myself for missing that concert in California back in 84 that had Mercyful Fate on a bill with Venom and Motorhead. Jeez....what was I thinking?)

Edited by genghiscon - 10 Nov 2011 at 1:43pm
I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 12:30pm
Yeah there are gigs like that too I missed along the way and really have regrets about not attending.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic