MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Risk vs St Anger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these two albums do you tolerate and enjoy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [82.35%]
3 [17.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Risk vs St Anger
    Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 11:51am
Well, i know I'm looking for trouble with this controversy but let the discussion begin.

The two albums I've mentioned are 2 of the most hated metal albums. And some will say Risk is hardly a metal album, which is quite correct.

I for one pick Risk; there are still some good songs - Prince of darkness, Breadline, The Doctor Is Calling, Time (The Beginning/The End); the album was a shocker because of the soft sound, but taking the music for what it offers, there's still some good songwriting in there.

St Anger suffers of bad production, it' really sounds like a demo, it sounds unfinished, it's rushed; the riffs, although not bad, are awfully repetitive, where was Hammett, I dunno, Hetfield gives his worst vocal performance (and the ending of All Within my Hands is simply dreadful).

Edited by LittleBig - 13 Jan 2015 at 5:00am
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 11:57am
I haven't heard Risk so no votes (Cryptic Writings is the latest Megadeth album I have and some of it is very poppy, is Risk like that or even poppier?), but I'd just like to express my fondness for St. Anger. It's not a great album, but enjoyable listening from time to time, especially the last three tracks.
<- Click on this!
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

I haven't heard Risk so no votes (Cryptic Writings is the latest Megadeth album I have and some of it is very poppy, is Risk like that or even poppier?), but I'd just like to express my fondness for St. Anger. It's not a great album, but enjoyable listening from time to time, especially the last three tracks.

the last 3? But Purify is the least inspired song of the entire album.

The Unnamed feeling is the only song i like.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 12:21pm
Opinions... Purify is perhaps my biggest favourite of the album Wink Love the verses, the chorus is nothing spectacular.
<- Click on this!
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Opinions... Purify is perhaps my biggest favourite of the album Wink Love the verses, the chorus is nothing spectacular.

of course, tastes differ... I was just surprised you liked the song; what about the shouts at the end of All within my hands? Confused that was futile...
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 12:45pm
A few minutes shorter All Within My Hands would be among their finest ever, but the ending doesn't ruin it for me. Fits the mood I think, not his best performance though. 
<- Click on this!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 2:23pm
I haven't heard enough of Risk to make an appropriate selection.  No vote, but neither album seems like my cup of tea.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 3:19pm
"Risk" vs. "St. Anger", I go with "St. Anger". But I'd take "Risk" over "Load" and "Reload" any day.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 4:22pm
There are elements of both St. Anger and Risk that I enjoy actually, but as a total Megadeth fanboy I must say Risk. LOL
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 6:35am
I don't have Risk, but I absolutely detest St. Anger. One of the worst albums I've ever heard... I can't make it through more than 3 or 4 minutes of the album. Ermm
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 3:49pm
Risk is mediocre, almost bad. St. Anger is an abomination.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 6:39am
Hmm...I kind of enjoy Risk occasionally. St. AngerWackoOuchDead
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 3:37am
Glad to see one other person is insane as I!

St Anger

granted its not more then mediocre, but I like it better.
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 6:14pm
I haven't heard Risk, but St. Anger is ugh.
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:49pm
Wow, it is like been asked to eat puke or crap, hahahahaha.

How about none?
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 7:52am
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Wow, it is like been asked to eat puke or crap, hahahahaha.

How about none?

how about being less rude.
whitedragon1969 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitedragon1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 2:15pm
Finally I decide. Risk
If you close the light every woman looks the same (Ancient Greek tale by Diogenis)
Very democratic...
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 12:50am
I can't vote because I have not heard Risk yet. I don't think I want to either. I'm over Megadeth's material anyway
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 3:46am
Well if you are not really a fan anymore, I´d probably skip "Risk" too. Personally I think it´s a pretty good album.

St. Anger on the other hand is pretty bad. I don´t enjoy that one.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 3:53am
^^ Megadeth was good for me when I was younger but I just can't get into them anymore. I popped in Countdown to Extinction the other day and it did nothing for me Ermm

St.Anger is pretty bad too though 
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic