MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZYWIOLAK for Folk-Metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

. On the other hand, unlike other metal subgenres, folk-metal does not seem to be as cut-and-dried, and I believe we could do worse than let these guys in. Very interesting music indeed, and an incentive to explore the subgenre further. 

couldn't agree more
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 1:56pm
I liked them too (well the tracks on MySpace), a lot, but it is not metal to my ears. I wouldn't protest if someone decided to include them though.

Edited by Time Signature - 17 Jul 2010 at 1:57pm
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I liked them too (well the tracks on MySpace), a lot, but it is not metal to my ears. I wouldn't protest if someone decided to include them though.

not sure which of the tracks was on myspace.. but figure you did get a good sense of what they do sound like. Read a review of their on that metal site and pretty much sums things up.  If I do add them, I'll do a review so people might have an idea it isn't exactly traditional metal LOL

Reviews for Żywiołak's Nowa Ex-Tradycja
Write a review for this release.

Lacks the Metal Punch - 60%
Written by MarburgVirus on October 12th, 2009

Folk metal is an interesting metal subgenre in that it blends two fundamentally different elements. (Mick: very true)There is the �folk� from the traditional instruments (different depending on region) and the �metal� that adds that necessary heaviness to the music to set it apart from an average folk or world music album. In this regard, Zywiolak stays true to its folk roots but does not succeed in the metal aspect.

If you read the �Current line-up� section of the band�s page, you will see the plethora of folk instruments that the band uses to craft its music. This is highly commendable and makes for an interesting sound. However, the problem is that Zywiolak does not progress much past the use of the folk instruments in its music. During almost every track on the album, I found myself thinking, �Ok, the guitar break should be coming up here any second�� Unfortunately, the metal is lacking in many of the songs. There are guitars in some of the tracks, but they are so far in the back that one can easily miss them. In fact, the closest thing to folk metal (in the way that most of us are familiar with it) on the album would have to be track 8, Oko Dybuka, due to its use of heavy guitar, growly vocals, and folk instruments, but even then these three are combined only at the end of the song.

I am not trying to say that this album is bad or that the band is untalented. Rather, I am saying that this album is great from a purely folk standpoint but sub par from a folk metal standpoint. Bottom line: if you are a fan of folk metal, be prepared for this to sound completely different from what you are used to. However, if you enjoy straight folk albums like Finntroll�s Visor Om Slutet or Skyforger�s Zobena Dziesma, then you will be more likely to find this album acceptable.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 6:27pm
As I said, no protests from me if they're added Wink
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 6:32pm
Kim, that's the kind of attitude everyone should haveSmile... Such a change from the never-ending 'what are X doing on here?' at PALOL.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 6:38pm
They actually remind me a little bit of a German medieval folk band called Tabula Rasa (but I think maybe they use similar percussion techniques (which in turn, first time I heard Tabula Rasa, remind me of rock music)).
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 6:50pm
actually the first thing I thought of... was Jacula.  See metal for me is more than 'geetar'. It is a heaviness, a darkness (though perhaps w/o the occult overtones) which immediately made me thing of Jacula.  Just without a dominant guitar in the sound, which is something of course Jacula had which is why some think of them as metal.. or a proto-metal if you look at the dateline.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 7:33am
Okay... I'm more conservative, I guess, since metal for me needs guitars, bass and drums to be metal :-)

And I thought I was the most liberal person om MMA ;-)
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Okay... I'm more conservative, I guess, since metal for me needs guitars, bass and drums to be metal :-)

And I thought I was the most liberal person om MMA ;-)

I took that chair when I moved in around here. LOL 

It's not difficult to surmise how I  feel about evaluating bands; as my own proclivities are, uh, well-known and, uh, often-lamented facts of PA's lore. LOLLOL

god I love Con Air.. that movie had great quotes coming from it's ears.

Edited by micky - 18 Jul 2010 at 10:40am
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 10:56am
In all seriousness....I've always been an open-tenter.  Always thought the site was for the users, not the collabs, and if people think it is metal. I always thought it was our job to maintain a database, not be judge, jury, and executioner of popular tastes and standards. Granted metal is not as.. open-ended as prog is, but still. We saw early on with this site, there is still not iron-clad notion of what is metal and what is not.  I didn't agree with some additions, but you know what... who cares!  Others thought they were so what is the harm in adding them.

Anyhow... I'm going to add them unless someone strongly disagrees.  With such a interesting mixture of metal and folk inherent in folk-metal.. there will obviously be various degress of 'metal' in it.  This one might be on the lower scale of it, but that shouldn't preclude it from being listed on a site devoted to cataloging it.  I'll wait a week and see if any of the collabs here have a real problem with it. If any do.. we'll talk it out and come to good solution.

Edited by micky - 18 Jul 2010 at 10:58am
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 11:10am
Thumbs Up

Cheers Micky!
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 11:14am
And remember that here - unlike on PA - we can delete an entry very easily. This band have only released an album so far. If their next is even less metal than this one, then we can think about removing them from the DB. However, if even the ultra-purist Encyclopedia Metallum has them, I don't believe adding them is going to do us any harm.
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 6:36pm
Thumbs Up Rawkshahaha
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 9:23am
going once.. going twice

if no objections.. going to add ...
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 9:36am
tried to add.. but got a 'generic page error' upon submitting the group. Not sure what that is about
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 9:54am
It is probably due to the special characters in the band name. I'm sure graphix / m@x will fix it.
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 10:08am
thanks!.   I see I have two failed additions that show on the main page.  If they could delete both of them.. I'll try it again without the special characters and see if that does the trick!
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 2:00pm
thanks to whoever cleaned my additions mess hahah.

Zywiolak added.. and Tuz... feel free to edit as you see fit. Thumbs Up

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/zywiolak.aspx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic