MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

may get a turntable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: may get a turntable
    Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 8:01pm
Hi, I have been listening to some of my dad's old records that he doesn't use anymore over at my grandma's house on her record player. Now after doing this I am getting the thirst to start collecting more vinyl records. The first thing I need to do is buy a record player.
What i wiuld like in a turntable is a good one with built in speakers if possible. I know not to get any of the ones that you can still get new that are made to look vinteage.
What will i be paying if for a good turntable if I decide to get one? Also any tips or advice on turntables would be very hulpful and nice because I have no idea what to get. also is there a way to tell if a turntable has built in speakers?
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 7:49am
I've become quite a vinyl junkie over the past few months, and my recommendation is to keep an eye out for them in thrift stores, flea markets, or yard sales if you have any near you. Turntables can be really expensive online and there aren't too many retailers that sell them anymore! This is, of course, only if you're looking for a bargain, though. Smile

I'm not aware of any "good" sounding turntables with speakers, but I might be wrong. I think you'd probably be better off hooking up a normal turntable to a receiver with speakers -- I'm assuming you already have a similar setup to play CD's(?). Either way, most turntables do not have built in speakers!

You could find plenty of competent turntables for under $200 (that's what I have), but anything higher-end will cost a pretty penny unless you find it out in the wild for cheap. Keep searching, man! Spinning records is a super awesome tactile experience and I hope you can do it more soon! Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 9:07am
My programmable Sansui turntable with a motorized stylus arm still works, and I paid no more than $8.00 for it at a Goodwill second-hand store.  I got a free amp for it from a friend of my dad, but it's been causing me problems lately.  A few of the buttons (notably the phono control) have a tendency to stick, which results in the signal cutting out or excess noise to be generated.  I haven't gotten around to fixing the problem due to my laziness LOL, but it appears to be a common problem.

Like Jeff said, I rarely see any quality turntables that have built-in speakers and amplifiers.

Edited by Stooge - 08 Jul 2013 at 9:09am
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 10:28pm
I have realized after looking up on ebay record players with speakers that its just better to get a normal turntable without speakers. i will get one and hook it up to the surround sound reciever hooked up in my room
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 8:18am
Originally posted by vmoore vmoore wrote:

I have realized after looking up on ebay record players with speakers that its just better to get a normal turntable without speakers. i will get one and hook it up to the surround sound reciever hooked up in my room

Probably a good call. Thumbs Up

Before you do that, however, I would make sure that your receiver has a built-in preamp, and if it doesn't, I recommend buying a turntable that has one built in. The records will sound unlistenable without a preamp, and I would assume that you don't want to buy a separate preamp for your stereo (which could be pretty pricey).
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 10:50pm
so, i have got 2 record players. 1 I bought at a goodwill for $5 and it doesn't have a plug or it's own power source. What it has is a male end that is made to plug into the back of a reciever. I bought this thinking my reciever would have the female end for to plug it into and give it power. since my reciever doiesn't have the correct port I need to take it to radio shack get a power adapter with the female end that i can plug the male end on the turntable into. if that turntable works I am fine. it is a soundesign model 0976c

Since i haven't been able to go to radio shack yet and get a plug for the soundesign turntable my dad talked to his friend and his friend's dad had a turntable with an 8-track player also on it. this turntable 8-track player combo is a  Pioneer centrex model th-3131. this unit was stored in a barn for 3 years and was very very dusty when I got it. so it got cleaned up and I plugged it in and the turntaple platter wasn't spinning. so my dad messes with it. he rotated the turntable platter and it started moving and it was struggling very hard. i could especially tell when i tested some records on it. so i left it on on the highest speed for a little while to free up the motor. when i come back i hear the motor rattling and the whole turntable platter was vibrating. so i turn the platter with it running and the shaking and rattling stops because i think it freed up the motor some more. next I left it on the hightst speed for like 20 minutes and then i started playing a record to see if it would work and it did. Until i got to the last song on the record. on the last song the turntable just randomly stopps and the platter wouldn't move freely at all unless i used a little bit of force to push it, but it wouldnt move for more than a few seconds. Now the speed selector sticks and the platter doesnt move hardly at all. also the automatic thing that drops the record into place which is also a record changer stoped working as well. because this is a motor driven turntable with no belts. Is there a quick fix for this? if not how much would a new motor cost and is it easy to replace. also how much would it cost to be fixed if i took it in somewhere and is it even worth fixing?

If needed i can provide photos. hopefully the soundesign turntable will work when I get a power suppily for it. If not i will have to hunt up yet another turntable

Edited by vmoore - 16 Jul 2013 at 11:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image