MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pain of Salvation Appreciation Society

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pain of Salvation Appreciation Society
    Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 10:48pm
Pain of Salvation's one of my all-time favorite bands, and every album is a unique journey in its own right. I love every album they've released, with The Perfect Element being my favorite album of any genre and time period. Be, Remedy Lane, and Scarsick (yeah I know, no one likes it) are all 5-star masterpieces, with the other 3 albums being confident 4-4.5 star albums IMO. Bottom line, I love Pain of Salvation, and if you love them as well, this is the topic for you!

Here we can discuss all of their albums, live concerts, guest appearances, interviews, etc.. related to Pain of Salvation. Just keep it respectful, and NO TROLLING OR ELSE J-MAN WILL KILL YOU! Wink

It's about we opened a thread for the greatest band on earth, so let the discussions begin! Clap

-Jeff
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 2:05am
I'm with you Jeff! Big smile

..and I happen to like Scarsick too.

I've played RS1 twice now and I'm not quite sure whether I'm over the shock yet but its due for another spin shortly. I hope I get it this time.

I know you felt the same at first, how long or how many plays did it take?
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 2:21am
I discovered PoS through a friend, he borrowed me 3 of their first records, I was amazed! But the final blow came with Be, what an AMAZING piece of art music!

Scarsick? I like that, what's the problem most seen on it? Tongue

And I've just listened Road Salt One, and, what can I say, it's no fabulous I must say, but that's the best thing on PoS, they never repeat themselves, music is to try different paths, they always do that! Approve
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
angelmk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 8:25am
PoS Heart
Such a great band. Perfect element, remedy lane are awesome records. Other albums are superb also. 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

I'm with you Jeff! Big smile

..and I happen to like Scarsick too.

I've played RS1 twice now and I'm not quite sure whether I'm over the shock yet but its due for another spin shortly. I hope I get it this time.

I know you felt the same at first, how long or how many plays did it take?

Yeah, I was initially VERY disappointed with Road Salt One after the previous 4 masterpieces. It's still my least favorite Pain of Salvation album, but I've come to appreciate it as a unique and highly enjoyable release. It took me about 6 listens to get over the "shock", and it just got better from there. I originally found it to be too linear, but after 6-7 listens I was proven wrong.

Of course, it depends on the person's tastes as well. My one friend loved the album the first time he heard it, whereas it took me much longer to get into. Here's my review at progarchives if you're curious: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=286330
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 10:41am
Originally posted by progshine progshine wrote:

I discovered PoS through a friend, he borrowed me 3 of their first records, I was amazed! But the final blow came with Be, what an AMAZING piece of art music!

Scarsick? I like that, what's the problem most seen on it? Tongue

And I've just listened Road Salt One, and, what can I say, it's no fabulous I must say, but that's the best thing on PoS, they never repeat themselves, music is to try different paths, they always do that! Approve

A lot of people don't like Scarsick. I originally gave it a 2 star review on ProgArchives... now I changed it to a 5 star masterpiece! Clap

I didn't like the "rap" elements, as well as the more simplistic style. But like all Pain of Salvation albums, dozens of listens proved me wrong! LOL I also love how Daniel Gildenl�w is always trying to break new grounds. Even though I'll take Be and The Perfect Element over Road Salt One any day of the week, I can't help but congratulate the band for creating yet another album unlike anything I've heard before.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 5:41pm
I like the albums before Be the most; Scarsick and the last one confused me a bit; I'll give the last one a second chance though.
Callergrim View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callergrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 10:50am
I am not very fimilair with Pain of Salvation, any recommendations?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 10:54am
I liked Pain of Salvation up until Scarsick, which I initially thought was awful, but upon further listen it is decent except for a couple of songs that are awful.  I've not heard the new one. Probably Perfect Element, Remedy Lane, and Be are my favorite 3 from them.  The 12:5 live acoustic album is quite good as well.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Callergrim Callergrim wrote:

I am not very fimilair with Pain of Salvation, any recommendations?

All of them. Tongue

Seriously, it depends... what type of stuff are you into?
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callergrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 12:33pm
Stoner metal, doom, industrial, post-metal, heavy prog, progrock, avant-garde.. Rawks
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 12:45pm

Stoner metal, doom, industrial, post-metal, heavy prog, progrock, avant-garde.. Rawks

The only genres there that PoS come close to touching are prog rock and heavy prog. If you're not a fan of more traditional prog metal, I highly recommend starting out with Be, which is a conceptual prog masterpiece. Of course if you like that you need The Perfect Element, Remedy Lane, etc...

If you do like prog metal, start with The Perfect Element. Thumbs Up
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callergrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 1:13pm
Ok, thank you very much!Thumbs Up  I'm going to search it on youtube.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 1:18pm

Ok, thank you very much!Thumbs Up  I'm going to search it on youtube.

Song-wise, I recommend listening to King of Loss, ! (Forward), Martius/Nauticus II, A Trace of Blood, Kingdom of Loss, Linoleum, and Inside. These are the best songs from every album IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image