MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rob Halford speaks to LoudTrax.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudTrax.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rob Halford speaks to LoudTrax.com
    Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 11:40am
HI guys,

i had the great pleasure of chatting with Metal God Rob Halford yesterday. Here is the interview. your comments are welcomed!
Rock
Antonio / LoudTrax.com
-------
Metal God Rob Halford is currently preparing for his upcoming tour which will see him play Montreal�s Heavy MTL festival and OZZFEST 2010 with Ozzy Osbourne and Motley Crue. I had the pleasure of speaking to Rob for an interview. Here is the text version of our conversation. Hope you like!

LoudTrax.com: You are performing at this year�s HEAVY MTL festival. Tell us what can fans expect in anticipation of seeing HALFORD live?

Rob Halford: Well they can expect the Halford band to be roaring that�s for sure. It will be a wonderful time for the Halford band to return to Montreal. Montreal is great, hot bed of heavy metal madness! The fans have this great reputation for being so intense and hard core, and having such passion and love for their metal.

So the Halford band�s gonna come back to Montreal and tear it up and have a great time. We�ll play a lot of different songs from our back catalog and some other places as well. We�ll be playing about an hour, and run through as many songs as we can and give everybody a great time. Some cool artists are appearing so it will be fun for us as well. My friend Alice Cooper, the guys from Korn, Dave from Megadeth, they�re all good friends of mine. Slayer, my god it�s going to be a great event! All of these different kinds of music will be pouring out and I�m sure everyone�s going to have a brilliant time.

LoudTrax.com: The experience of going to a concert today vs. going to a concert pre-internet has changed. For example, the set list is easy to find, along with video clips of the show and so on. As the performer, how much harder is it to hold that element of surprise at a concert, and does that factor in to how you plan for the show?

Rob Halford: Yes right. I think the actual performance is the main essence. Regardless of whether you know what�s going to happen in terms of the set list or the clips that you might have seen on the internet. You can�t beat being in the crowd, being in the pit � with your devil horns up at the band that you love. Nothing beats that, that�s why live shows now are probably more than ever more successful and that�s why this Montreal one is going to continue to grow and become this huge annual event. 

The internet is kind of like a double edged sword. It�s serves a wonderful purpose in communicating what your doing with your music and having this instant fix with whatever you need, music or otherwise. The down side is all the rubbish that goes on with the illegal downloading and everyone thinking that they�re famous and aggravating each other!

You cannot deny that all the fans, and myself included�is that I know that if I am going to see my favorite band it�s cause I know that I am going to be seeing something that�s special in that particular moment in time. It�s never the same when you get it from any other source, you gotta be there live.

LoudTrax.com: Some artists like to change up their set list every night, and you certainly have the catalog to do that. Is that something you like to experiment with or do you prefer to keep a solid set list and perfect that?

Rob Halford: With a band like Judas Priest which is the main band in my life and always will be, it�s difficult to change that set list because everything is really coordinated. The set design, the lighting and costume changes make it hard to change the set around.

The Halford band is a different kind of animal. We�re just a bunch of guys walking out there and playing the music. It�s a little bit easier for us in that respect. We�ll be going into rehearsals soon and run through more material than we�ll need. So should the opportunity come up to throw something in, we can do that.

The set list is shaping up now. It�s a Halford band so it�s Halford material and that�s what we�re coming to play. The opportunity is there to play some of the Fight material as well. The "War of Words" album is still strong in many locations. It�s always on the iTunes Metal charts, which I check a couple of times a week and it�s been a pretty consistent album ever since iTunes had that chart.

I think we�ll look at a couple of Priest tunes. To be perfectly frank, I would prefer not play any Judas Priest tunes cause this isn�t the Priest band, it�s the Halford band. But I know my Montreal fans will be screaming for certain songs and it�s kind of rude to ignore. I would like my fans to understand and appreciate that this is a great opportunity for the Halford band to play the material that we�ve made. We�re going to probably play a couple of new songs as well. We got a couple of singles coming out in July as well.

LoudTrax.com: Let's go back to 2000. On the �Resurrection� album, you co-wrote and performed a song with Bruce Dickinson and Roy Z. Can you tell us more about that experience? Did you sit down and write together, and record together, or was it done individually and later put together.

Rob Halford: Yes my mate Bruce. The song was pretty much completed. I was in the studio in Burbank in Hollywood with Roy Z doing the "Resurrection" sessions and Bruce stopped by just to see how things we�re going. We�re just talking, as singers do, and I said �it would be great if you and I could get behind the mic sometime�. continue reading interview here: http://blog.loudtrax.com
LoudTrax.com - Rock, Metal, Punk downloads
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 1:07pm
Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic