MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz-Rock Fusion Anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these Jazz-Rock Fusion bands do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
4 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.14%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.14%]
1 [7.14%]
3 [21.43%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.14%]
2 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz-Rock Fusion Anyone?
    Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 7:27pm
As many of you know, a great number of us MMA'ers are also from Prog Archives... So to stay true to my original PA name of 'FusionKing' I ask of you, are any of you fans of Jazz-Rock Fusion? And if so, let me know who your favourite band is. Also, feel free to join in, those of you who are not aquainted with PA. I'd love to know your thoughts on the subject as fellow rock fans.
(All of the bands above are on the relevant section of PA with the exception of 'Soft Machine', the jazziest of the Canterbury section and 'Steely Dan' under the Crossover section, which I heard was supposed to be moved to the Jazz-Rock Fusion section anyway.)
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 9:49pm
Hmmm.  I haven't actually heard Iceberg yet.  Any recommendations?

It's hard for me to pick from the remaining bands also.  I'll have to think about this one.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 3:11am
Although I'm not an expert in this area (I'm not even from PA) I recognize surprisingly many bands from that list. My vote goes for Mahavishnu, based on their first albums (the only ones I've heard from them).
Darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darksideof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 9:32am

As a Prog/Jazz fan for years obviculy I prefer most of them 99%  (well i really don't much Iceberg albumr and Cohbham solo albums). but each fusion band on the list has its real top album and very weak one even bruford who happen to be my top favorite and Soft machine had real bad album well I can't real say bad but maybe these albums aren't my cup of tea.Embarrassed

http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com
The Pessimist View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 12:11pm

From bands not normally expected to play fusion (Earth Wind and Fire, Stevie Wonder, Jamiroquai respectively)...

The Pessimist View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 12:12pm
As for off the list... Weather Report
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 3:16pm
Steely Dan out of this list, though I also love Mahavishnu, Bruford, the Softs and early Santana (Abraxas is one of my all-time favourites). However, I'll take the opportunity to recommend you some first-class stuff in the genre that's not as well-known: French band Forgas Band Phenomena. Saw them live at NEARfest on Saturday - a performance to remember. Do yourselves a favour, and check them out!
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 6:50pm
Tough choice between Santana and Mahavishnu. I guess I'll go for the latter.

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 8:18am
I like Burnin' Red Ivanhoe quite a lot.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 6:08pm
a few missing on this list:

Secret oyster (Denmark)
Perigeo (Italy)
Nucleus (UK)
Gong (post-Allen) (France)
Mwandishi (Herbie hancock)
Eleventh House (Corryell)
and of course Miles' band
etc...

The first three on your list are probably  my three faves JR/F artistes with early WR (i don't like tghem much past 75) , but the best JR/F album ever is Santana's Caravanserai, so I'll go for that.

Edited by Sean Trane - 08 Jul 2010 at 5:28am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

French band Forgas Band Phenomena. Saw them live at NEARfest on Saturday - a performance to remember. Do yourselves a favour, and check them out!

I totally agree..... gad you like them, RafWink
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 10:35pm
Billy Cobham from the list... I love his solo stuff a bit more than with Mahavishnu.

If Herbie Hancock were there, that's where my vote would have gone.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:54am
Passport is missing from this list. 

I don't know what to choose...

Never heard of Iceberg, I'll look them up. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 4:12am
I'll go with Weather Report though I like many of those. I'd question Steely Dan's place in that list. they do have jazz influences but I wouldn't call them jazz rock/fusion.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 4:27am
^ I would not call Steely Dan jazz-rock either, but they're a great band, don't mind seeing them in the poll. Smile

Edited by LittleBig - 04 Mar 2018 at 4:28am
PepperSprayP View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PepperSprayP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 4:39pm
Bro wheres Athiest though?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 7:52pm
Never saw this post before. Since i'm on the Jazz-fusion team on PA i'd have to admit i'm quite a fan!

Mahavishnu Orchestra for me. They went above the call of duty. They were not only jazz-fusion but also ahd the intensity of metal and included ethnic fusion as well. Love all the other bands mentioned as well.

@PepperSprayP = Atheist adopted jazz into their compositions but are really considered a technical death metal band which isn't really jazz-fusion as has been defined. One of my faves so don't get me wrong!
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 7:31am
Not familiar w/ a decent amount of these but if I had to choose it'd be Mahavishnu Orchestra for me as well!
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 8:44am
Only one I’m unfamiliar with is Iceberg. Some great bands/artists here. Surprised there’s no Miles Davis on the list or given this site, Ian Gillan Band. I guess I’ll go RTF although I love a bit of Maharishi too. Call out for Stanley Clarke - School Days is a pretty cool album.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 8:46am
Says I’m not allowed to vote 🤔 Saves me being indecisive😉
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic