Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Like Grunge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Like Grunge
    Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 5:33pm
Grunge is realy a genre thats interest me, so many bands that I want to explore futher but I don't know where to start so much good and creative music (in its time).

I saw this documentary (you have proabably seen it), and their was all this bands that I like the sound of, I only have Soundgardens, Superunknown and Badmotorfinger ( I know, i'm slow), but many of the bands have somting interesting, bands like Alice In Chains, Tad, Pearl Jam and Melvins interest me, but their is just something amazing about grunge which I can't understand.... WHAT IS IT.

Edited by Balthamel - 16 Jun 2010 at 5:37pm
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 6:19pm
Grunge.... I've always wondered whether it's really a pseudo-genre. I think that a lot of the bands that are classified as grunge are musically very different, the genre-defining features lying in the image and, perhaps, attitude (and I think maybe that it was, or is, the attitude that appeals to people).

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of grunge (I don't dislike it, though), but being young in the 90s, I was exposed to it quite extensively (especially since the school I went to was this sort of alternative rock kid school where a lot of people were into alt. rock, grunge rock, alt. metal, extreme metal and the like), and I do like Nirvana's "Nevermind", although I don't like their other albums, and the Danish grunge act Boghandle.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 6:25pm
well, I think it's sort of a mixture of metal and punk atitude metal guitar riffs and heavyness with punk bussiness and in your face sort of behaviour. and a Subcultur in the outpost of US (mainy Seatle and Washington State) but many of the "grunge" bands actualy were Alternative Metal bands, like Soundgarden whom is said to be he first Alternative Metal, Sludge, and Stoner metal band.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 6:33pm
I think it's interesting how it completely took over the rock scene and virtually killed off hair metal overnight. I think that there were more factors at play though, but grunge really changed the rock scene into something more "earthy" but also more "shoegazing".
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 6:38pm
I always wonderd what shoegazing means, watching your shoes (or gazing).
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 6:47pm
Yeah, and it also refers to the musicians not moving about on stage very much - but maybe this applies more to Brit pop than grunge.
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 6:18am
funny, I just reviewed Dirt a few minutes ago. 

I personally am a huge fan of grunge, always have been. If you are interested in the main albums, here they are:
from Alice In Chains:
Dirt
Jar Of Flies
same title
From Nirvana:
Nevermind
In Utero 
Bleach
from Pearl Jam:
Ten
Vs. 
Vitalogy
No Code

Looks like you're fine with Soundgarden

from Silverchair:
Frogstomp
Freak Show

From Screaming Trees
Sweet Oblivion
Dust (even though I don't have it)

also, check the albums by Temple Of The Dog and by Mother Love Bone
If you're interested in grunge's very first acts, check  the bands Green River or MudhoneyWink

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 6:36am
Oh no! I forgot Stone Temple Pilots! I saw them last year in concert, they were great!
I recommend you:
Core
Purple
Tiny Music... from the Vatican Gift Shop
no. 4 (haven't listened to all of it, but it has some great songs)

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 7:55am
Grunge (and bands I associate with it, like RHCP and RATM and Neil Young ) is part of the reason why I returned to the rock world in the early 90's.

That Grunge movement was refreshing at the time when all there waswere disgusting electronic beat-driven pop (>> I was not into these power metal and Thrash Metal stuff) and 92 a banner music year for me... I had not yet discovered the prog renewal.... and I wonder if I would've at all if I hadn't listened to grunge bands

My fave: early Pearl Jam

Edited by Sean Trane - 17 Jun 2010 at 7:59am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Grunge (and bands I associate with it, like RHCP and RATM and Neil Young ) is part of the reason why I returned to the rock world in the early 90's.

That Grunge movement was refreshing at the time when all there waswere disgusting electronic beat-driven pop (>> I was not into these power metal and Thrash Metal stuff) and 92 a banner music year for me... I had not yet discovered the prog renewal.... and I wonder if I would've at all if I hadn't listened to grunge bands

My fave: early Pearl Jam

I had my hands full exploring metal and finding a way into prog music at the time, so the grunge movement didn't do much to me. I think I was actually more interested in the alt. rock wave that followed the grunge movement (or which, I guess, the grunge movement was just a part of) without ever abandoning metal.

They say that grunge killed metal, but isn't it really the case that people were getting fed up with glam metal, which was the commercially most successful type of metal at the time, so, when an a�ternative (pun intended) appears, people were naturally drawn in that direction.

There were a bunch of alt. rock Danish bands that surfaced in the 90s who, had they been from Seattle, may have been considered grunge.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 4:59pm
ohh, and Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden is so special, a Timeless song the guitar riff in the verse is so adictive. one of the best songs ever made IMO.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

It refers, I think, to the musicians looking down at their multitude of effects pedals the whole perfomance. But the only "shoegaze" band I know is My Bloody Valentine, so I might have made that up.

I'm OK with grunge, but I think post-grunge is one of the worst subgenres to ever exist. Just look at these bands. I would shocked if their combined discographies contained even a single tolerable moment.

Edited by Henry Plainview - 20 Jun 2010 at 3:53am

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 4:49am
I agree with Timesig that grunge is a kind of pseudo genre. For example I don�t agree with the fact that many consider Alice in Chains a grunge act. One of my favorites from those times though.
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 6:17am
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

It refers, I think, to the musicians looking down at their multitude of effects pedals the whole perfomance. But the only "shoegaze" band I know is My Bloody Valentine, so I might have made that up.

I'm OK with grunge, but I think post-grunge is one of the worst subgenres to ever exist. Just look at these bands. I would shocked if their combined discographies contained even a single tolerable moment.
well Filter isn't that bad. You're pretty much right about the rest.

FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 2:53pm
Huge fan of the genre myself. Some treats for exploring grunge are as follows...
THIS INCLUDES BOTH BANDS OF THE GRUNGE SCENE ITSELF PLUS OTHER BANDS WHICH MAY APPEAL TO  ONE WHO LIKES GRUNGE YET ARE CLASSED ONLY AS 'ALTERNATIVE ROCK'.
Besides the big four of grunge, Nirvana, Pearl Jam (my favourite), Soundgarden and Alice In Chains...
you should try...
THESE (MOSTLY SEATTLE-BASED) GRUNGE BANDS...
Screaming Trees
Mother Love Bone
Dinosaur Jr.
Mudhoney
Gruntruck
Skin Yard
Hammerbox
Candlebox
Green River
Mad Season
Temple Of The Dog
Malfunkshun
Stone Temple Pilots
Tad
My Sister's Machine
BANDS WHICH ARE SOMETIMES GIVEN THE GRUNGE TAG...
Smashing Pumpkins
Blind Melon
Days Of The New
Marcy Playground
The Melvins
Bush
Silverchair
NON-GRUNGE BANDS WHICH YOU MAY LIKE IF YOU LIKE GRUNGE AS THEY HAVE SOME GRUNGY ELEMENTS...
Jane's Addiction (they do have some grungy tendancies)
Rage Against The Machine (angsty and political...can't go wrong there)
Pixies (after all, Kurt did say he wanted to be one of them...)
Radiohead (up till OK Computer they are sufficiently distorted and depressive)
Jeff Buckley (the louder stuff mostly)
Jerry Cantrell (obviously because of AIC)
Mark Lanegan (the man behind Screaming Trees so again you can't go wrong)

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Tons of bands I dislike on that list, but I'm a fan of both The Presidents of The United States of America and Silverchair.  I grew up on the first 2 Presidents albums and the first 3 Silverchair albums. 

Young Modern is a cool pop/rock album by Silverchair.  There are parts to it that even remind me of mid 70s Genesis.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 9:14am

I just noticed that we haven�t got Jerry Cantrell solo here on MMA. Alternative maybe?

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 9:30am
Alternative sounds right.  I only have Degradation Trip, and it sounds rather similar to AiC.
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 6:53pm
Definitely put to Alt metal. I just saw him Friday with AIC. Awesome!

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Alternative sounds right.  I only have Degradation Trip, and it sounds rather similar to AiC.

Yeah that�s the one I have too. Didn�t even realize that he had actually released a solo album in 1998 too ( Boggy Depot). I�ll drop a note in the alternative thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic