MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'alternative' metal... discuss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sckxyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 11:10pm
I started a thread about this in the suggestions board and it didn't get much attention. I think it's a much better tag than "Nu Metal" and allows for bands like Alice In Chains and Soundgarden to fit in as well. 
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashmir75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 12:14am
I've never really liked the tag 'nu metal' either. Alternative metal is a much wider term and can cover everything from Soundgarden to Tool to Linkin Park.
dean View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 2:09am
Just because you don't like the Nu Metal tag doesn't mean you can change it to something you do like. Unlike so many after-the-event tags, Nu Metal actually existed as a subgenre of Metal, the bands were happy to be called that and gladly jumped on the bandwagon to fame using it. If you want "Alt Metal" then petition for the creation of a new subgenre and leave the Nu Metal bands like Coal Chamber, Korn and Papa Roach out of it
aapatsos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 4:30pm
^ my two cents

Alternative metal does not really compare, at least in my books, with Nu Metal. I see no great relation between e.g. Tool, early Soundgarden and Alice in Chains with Korn, Linkin Park etc.
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

^ my two cents

Alternative metal does not really compare, at least in my books, with Nu Metal. I see no great relation between e.g. Tool, early Soundgarden and Alice in Chains with Korn, Linkin Park etc.

absolutely NONE at all....  who would confuse the two.  ConfusedLOL
LOL

The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:38pm
One tag can include the other... I would opt for the "alternative" tag instead of the "nu" one because it is a bigger umbrella...
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sckxyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 1:13am
Originally posted by dean dean wrote:

Just because you don't like the Nu Metal tag doesn't mean you can change it to something you do like. Unlike so many after-the-event tags, Nu Metal actually existed as a subgenre of Metal, the bands were happy to be called that and gladly jumped on the bandwagon to fame using it. If you want "Alt Metal" then petition for the creation of a new subgenre and leave the Nu Metal bands like Coal Chamber, Korn and Papa Roach out of it

I wouldn't argue that it doesn't exist, but if anything it's a subcategory of Alternative Metal. It could be it's own genre, but then so could Depressive Black Metal, Symphonic Black Metal, Atmospheric Black Metal, etc. But, as with Black Metal, I think it would be best to have just one subgenre and then mention the other in the genre description or something. Either way, I still think it's odd to have a Nu Metal subgenre and not have an Alternative Metal one, when the latter is the much more prominent one.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 10:02pm
Really? Nobody sees any alternative elements in Nu metal? To my ears most nu metal sounds like heavy alternative music anyways.

When I think of alternative rock, I have a tendency to think of adolescents who just learned to piece together chords into a song. However general that may be, the likes of Slipknot and Korn sound like this.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Erased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 11:37am
As long as crap like Papa Roach doesn't crawl onto this site, Alternative Metal is a good sub-genre to have.
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 11:50am
Papa Roach is already in there. Like Glam Metal, these are bands people like and some hate. Our job is not to judge on taste (except in our reviews) but on whether the music is metal or primarily metal based.

I saw Papa Roach open for Motley Crue and though I expected it to stink, they put on a good show. Buckcherry, who I expected to rock, were lame.
Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Erased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 11:52am
Fair enough. I'll keep my trap shut there.

I just dislike Papa Roach with a burning passion :p
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:00pm
Kyuss as alternative metal, yes I know their Stoner metal, but i think they are a good inclusion for the alternative metal section just for so long their is no Stoner metal section.
I believe they are 100 % metal but to which the fit best i not sure
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:14pm
I don't think Papa Roach are metal. They are angsty alternative rock with distorted guitars.

Just because it sounds angry and has distorted guitars doesn't mean it's metal.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:15pm
^yeah, it could be punk.
Those who know what's best for us must rise and save us from ourselves.
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:21pm
While I wasn't the one who chose Papa Roach, I think the arpeggiated guitars and tone on their signature "Last Resort" are pretty undeniably metal of some kind.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:29pm
^To be honest, I really think they sound like generic alternative melodies. I know what you're talking about. Besides, the rest of that song is pretty standard whiney alternative.

Edited by topofsm - 01 Apr 2010 at 12:30pm
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:33pm

To be clear, I've never owned a Papa Roach album in my life. And if a decision was made to remove them, I don't think it would hurt the site.

I'm still trying to decide what my line is. M@X made a reasonable guideline, and as nu-metal is pretty consistently their main tag, I think they make the cut. I think they slip inside the line as my gut tells me as well.

Edited by Negoba - 01 Apr 2010 at 12:34pm
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 5:07pm

So basically : alternative metal = grunge (Soundgarden, AiC, Nirvana) + noise rock (Helmet, Sonic Youth) + alternative rock (Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's Addicion) + groove metal (King's X) + funk metal (FFF, fishbone, living colour, infectious grooves)

I think that makes sense to have all these bands under one flag...
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 5:36pm

Well not exactly: some of the sub-genres are pretty clear

Nu-metal (though this blends into some straight modern rock)
Funk-metal (again blends into funk rock)
Groove Metal

But we're actually excluding most alternative and grunge
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 7:45pm

^The thing is there are bands here that I'd really consider alternative anyways. When I see "Alternative Metal" I just think alternative music with more distorted guitars and maybe some harsh vocals, with very little if any actual metal in it compositionally.

Anyways Negoba, would you mind linking me to those guidelines that M@X set up. Unless they're the descriptions of the subgenres I'm not sure where to look.Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic