MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'alternative' metal... discuss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:08am
Hi J >LOcke

what are we doing here LOL

Yeah Genres are for the other bands - metal is metal is metal - genres are irrelevant
GLAM METAL!
JLocke View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 3:36pm
^ I'm not sure. What ARE we doing here? This really shows people how little life I actually have. *slinkers away*

I hope you'll forgive my little semi-rant I go on in the God thread; nothing personal meant by it, really. I just get a little hot under the collar.

That's why when I get upset, i listen to METAL!!! Rawks

Nu, Alternative, or otherwise, haha. Wink
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 7:30am
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Nu, Alternative, or otherwise, haha. Wink

What's wrong with alt rock? In the 80's and even 90's it was such an interesting genre.

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
Silver Shade of Lead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver Shade of Lead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 7:25am
I feel a Nu-Metal subgenre wouldn't be an exercise in extreme categorization. Nevertheless, it could find inclusion as sub-genre in the Alternative Metal category, much to the likes of NWoBHM in Traditional Heavy Metal.

The bands that fit in such sub-genre share elements present in the overall sound of Alt Metal, yet it seems that Faith No More, or early Tool is on a completely different range than, say, Limp Bizkit (and it's not just because they'd mop the floor with the latter).

True that intense categorization leads to an overbearing w**kery of labels, but I find this case would lead to structural benefit, since Nu-Metal is a pretty specific wave, in which its fans would enjoy to find discriminated among the existent categories to further enrich their own database and discover new tastes.

In addition, the opposite can also be accountable, if one is looking for Alternative Metal, but wishes to exclude the Nu-Metal sub-genre from his/her findings.

It's just a thought I don't think would strike as nitpicking or extremely difficult to perform.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 2:41am
Alternative Metal.

It certainly does exist.
What exactly qualifies it...I'm not sure LOL
It is a bit of a dumping ground, but I actually like this sites definition for it.

Not my favorite sub genre, but I do like it. Of course SoaD my all time favorite band is Alt Metal! Big smile
I am not a fan of "nu metal" at all though Sick

Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 7:49am
I'm rather late in this discussion, but some bands I would call "Alternative Metal" that I listen to would include:

Faith No More
Alice In Chains (probably the least "alternative" of the bunch...)
Soundgarden
Saigon Kick (definitely NOT a "hair band")
King's X
Galactic Cowboys
The Awful Truth

Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Silver Shade of Lead Silver Shade of Lead wrote:

I feel a Nu-Metal subgenre wouldn't be an exercise in extreme categorization. Nevertheless, it could find inclusion as sub-genre in the Alternative Metal category, much to the likes of NWoBHM in Traditional Heavy Metal.

It's just a thought I don't think would strike as nitpicking or extremely difficult to perform.

I hugely agree.
And I think I may have said it already (if so forgive repeating, I just have poor memory I'm not hammering home anything) the same would do well for Groove and Stoner Metal, since they are so different than the genres to which they are a sub.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 10:41am
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Alternative Metal.

It certainly does exist.
It is a bit of a dumping ground, but I actually like this sites definition for it.

Not my favorite sub genre, but I do like it. Of course SoaD my all time favorite band is Alt Metal! Big smile

you don't like Deftones, Shocked

best Nu metal band their ever was

Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Alternative Metal.

It certainly does exist.

you don't like Deftones, Shocked

best Nu metal band their ever was

I could agree with that, although I think they've evolved to a point where they're no longer nu-metal.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 11:54am
^Or maybe they are pushing the boundaries of the genre, adding sludge and prog elements to the sound.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 8:35pm
I've noticed that most of the metal that I like these days is alternative metal, like Crossfade, Finger Eleven, and Breaking Benjamin. Really great music. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image