MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Black Metal album(s)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Black Metal album(s)
    Posted: 28 May 2010 at 1:46pm
Since I'm not very familiar with this genre, I would like to see what you sayWink

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 8:46pm
Without thinking too hard, it would look something like this. If I thought a little harder it could look quite different.

Drudkh - Forgotten Legend & Autumn Aurora
Paysage d'Hiver - His whole discography
Mortuary Drape - Secret Sudaria
Trist - Hin-Fort
S.V.E.S.T. - Urfaust
Burzum - Filosofem
Belenos - Notre Amour Eternal
Darksapce - Their whole discography
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Master's Hammer - Ritual
Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame
Ulver - Bergtatt .....
Nahvalr - Nahvalr

I can write of few more words on any of those if your interested.

Also some recent stuff I've been really enjoying, but have not had enough listening time to have gained status of 'favourites'

Gnaw Their Tongues (numerous albums) & most of the side projects.
&
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 7:04am
^ the thing I was most interested in here are the bands Burzum, Paysage D'Hiver, Drudkh, Darkspace, and of course Ulver, which I knew already.
Thanks a lot!Tongue

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 7:42am
I guess my favorite black metal album, if it even counts as black metal, is Celtic Frost's "Morbid Tales" (incl. "Emperor's Return"). I'd also recommend Immortal's "Battle In the North" and Emperor's "In the Nightside Eclipse", mainly because they're classics and pivotal releases in the Norwegian black metal movement.

I must admit that I've never thought Burzum's stuff was anything special, but I have it from some black metal afficionado friends of mine that "Filosofem" is not that bad (according to them, that's the only good Burzum album).
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 10:03am
D�dheimsgard - 666 International and Supervillain Outcast.
I second the Gnaw Their Tongues and related projects recommendation. Really eerie music.
Enslaved ( mostly their latest progressive stuff, but it depends on your choice of poison)
Shining - Halmstad
Drottnar - Welterwerk ( great technical/ progressive black metal)
Deathspell Omega ( from Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice onwards)
Funeral Mist ( and the related last couple of albums by Marduk)
Aborym - Generator
NorseGangsta View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorseGangsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 3:55pm
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter and Sons of Northern Darkness (lots of thrash elements)
I  - Between Two Worlds (some traditional metal elements)
Enslaved - Isa (progressive)
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss (very atmospheric)
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 6:26pm
I posted these in one of the other black metal threads (why so many BM threads ???) :

Some of my favourite bands of the genre :

The following is truly bestial :

for those who don't mind their BM mixed with grindcore :

and this one is interesting as well, somewhere between BM and mathcore :

this one is bestial, sort of martial BM :

Dorosłe dzieci mają żal, za kiepski przepis na ten świat.
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Phonebook Eater Phonebook Eater wrote:

^ the thing I was most interested in here are the bands Burzum, Paysage D'Hiver, Drudkh, Darkspace, and of course Ulver, which I knew already.
Thanks a lot!Tongue

So your interested in the ambient/atmospheric side of the equation?

Burzum really is your touch stone guy if your even remotely interested in the Atmospheric/Ambient side of BM, he's someone you should give a shot, at least for historical sake. Tho' I think he is much more than that. His albums Hvis lyset tar oss & Filosofem are my favourites. I'd be inclined to recommend the latter. It's raw, but it is his most fully fledged ambient infused effort. I'd stay away from his recent releases, despite his latest release receiving positive reviews from fans, it's little more than a mediocre effort in light of his earlier works.

Had a quick look at your review to gain a better gauge of your tastes. You might try working backwards with In the Woods... if you've not do so already. HEart of the Ages is an interesting progression in their sound. At this time they were still more BM than the progressive/avant-metal found on their later albums. But their newer sounds is definitely shinning through. 

I'll continue further when I have the time...

Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 4:36am
Wow thanks a lot for your help!
I guess I am more interested in the atmospheric side of BM, but I still want to learn more about the old school and the rough sound.
I don't expect you help me once more, since you've already done so muchSmile

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 8:49am
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Some of my favourite bands of the genre :

Cradle of Filth...

Good to see another CoF fan - most people seem to simply associate the band with the audience, and disassociate themselves from the audience - which is a very poor reason for dissing a band IMHO.

Originally posted by Phonebook Eater Phonebook Eater wrote:

Wow thanks a lot for your help!
I guess I am more interested in the atmospheric side of BM, but I still want to learn more about the old school and the rough sound.

You can't get an awful lot more old school or rough than Sodom (except Venom, of course). Their early demos are awesome, if you're not one of those who demands superlative production and performance instead of gut feel. I posted some vidz from these demos today; http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/sodom.aspx

+1 on Celtic Frost's "Morbid Tales"

Edited by Certif1ed - 03 Jun 2010 at 8:50am
LoudTrax.com View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudTrax.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 2:47pm
here are 3 very good Black Metal albums
1349 - Demonoir
Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation of the Black Widow
Behemoth - Evangelion

have you seen our black metal section?  http://www.loudtrax.com/Genre/BlackMetal
tell me what you think
LoudTrax.com - Rock, Metal, Punk downloads
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 3:02pm
I'm honestly not a big black metal guy, but have heard quite a bit of it.  The two albums that stand out in my mind are:

Emperor - IX Equilibrium
Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane
Sleeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 6:34am
I'll be the first to mention Wolves in the Throne Rooms Two Hunters and Fens The Malediction Fields is a great album I picked up recently.
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 3:17pm
negura bunget - 'n crugu bradului
deathspell omega - fas - ite, maledicti, in ignem aeternum
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 3:20pm
I've heard some tracks from that "dom Mysterii Sathanas " (or whatever it's called) album by Mayhem, which sound quite interesting actually.
7997ism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7997ism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 9:27pm
Mayhem are great but only up to Chimera though, after that they just go down hill.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 12:23am
I�ve only listened sporadically to Mayhem�s albums but I�ve seen them live twice.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 1:33am
Of their classic stuff I've only heard Deathcrush and De Mysteriis, and then Ordo Ad Chaos, but somehow nothing of it has ever really impressed me. Pretty much same thing for e.g. Immortal, though I do like one of their albums, but I mostly grew up on Burzum, Darkthrone and Emperor when it comes to these influential 90s bands.

I still haven't given my list of top albums to this topic because it's a pretty hard question. No idea where I would start, except mentioning the obvious ones ("Filosofem", "Transilvanian Hunger", "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss"...)
7997ism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7997ism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 4:55am
These are all really great albums if you are into raw black metal.

Avsky - Scorn
Goatmoon - Demo
Vlad Tepes - Rehearsal Winter '93
Ash Pool - Black Bondage in the North
Ayr - Circling
Sovereign - The Wolf
White Medal - Tread the Earth
Infernal Stronghold - Excommunicated
Prevalent Resistance - Eternal Return
Skuggeheim - Vinterrikets Konge
Aryan Blood - To Build an Empire
�delegger - End of Tides
Leech - Black Hymns
Branikald - Varg Fjerne A Torner
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 6:20pm
God, someone remind me never to make lists, I always cringe looking back on them.

7997 you've made me dig up Goatmoon's Death before dishonour. Is this a good thing? Yes. Some brazen shit right here.

Is Ash Pool the guy from Prurient? Cannot remember his name. 

Been meaning to check out Branikald for a while now, loved Forest's first album.

cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic