3 [8.11%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 1:40pm
since it's METAL guitar legends, I'll vote for Iommi. 
In other circumstances, Hendrix.

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 2:33am

I still think that Dick Dale is the most overlooked legend of metal guitar... I know this thread is "greatest", but maybe he's still a contender;

He regularly used to blow up his amps during gigs from overdriving them too heavily - and he used Fender 50 Watt jobs, the most powerful of the time.

So Leo Fender created the 100 Watt amp, just for him - and both were happy!

Leo Fender also got Dale to be the guinea-pig for his newly-invented Stratocaster guitar. Dale loved it, but, since he was left handed, and Fender hadn't got around to making a left-handed version, he had to re-string and play the thing upside down - remind you of anyone?

Dick Dale was the first truly aggressive guitarist, despite playing what is unmistakably Surf Music (some say he invented it in the late 1950s) - but then, they hadn't even heard of heavy rock in those days, let alone heavy metal - it simply wasn't a style that anyone had ever played in.

Dale used all manner of techniques which Judas Priest and a vast number of other metal bands would later use.

The same could be said for Chuck Berry, of course, but every metal band who used Berry's licks turned up the gas on them and made them sound more aggressive, since Berry's tone was hardly hi-gain, and his style, while rockin', could hardly be said to be edgy or metallic.

Dick Dale, on the other hand, had everything - rapid alternate picking that could be considered tremolo, except that he did not use it for a tremolo effect, he used it to make the music sound more muscular and aggressive.

He also used unmistakably metal modes, hammer-ons and pull-offs and produced passages of music that Priest have re-cycled virtually note-for-note. I also seem to remember "No More Heroes" by The Stranglers beginning with a Dick Dale lick.

Maybe that should be re-phrased...

Dale recorded with the late great Stevie Ray Vaughan in the late 1980s - there's a video of his tune "Pipeline", and then in the early 1990s, recorded something that showcased his style against a more apropriate musical backdrop - listen to "Nitro" below.

Anyway, here are a couple of examples - don't be thrown by the fact that this is undeiably surf music - listen to the guitar playing and think about the year in which it was played.

Then cower before the true God of metal guitar...

1962 - Surf Beat

You remain unconvinced by the guitar "stabs" as used later by Slayer?

1962 - Miserlou

Now THAT's where Priest (and probably the Stranglers) got their sound from!

1993 - Nitro

...and check this out from Eddie and the Showmen in 1963 - surely a predecessor of heavy metal (as well as a logical progression of what Dale was doing);

Hey, that sort of music was good enough for Ritchie Blackmore back then;

So DICK DALE - could be a contender for the greatest, no? Big smile

(Please note, this is an awareness raising post, to be taken with a few grains of salt!)

Edited by Certif1ed - 08 Jun 2010 at 2:37am
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 7:51am
Intriguing post here ^

i hadnt thought of that, ho ho

I think its interesting that Blackmore and Petrucci are neck to neck here

GLAM METAL!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 2:22am
The triumvirate of Page/Blackmore/Iommi with Hendrix (not metal) , Van Halen closing the top five

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 6:40am
Joe Satriani isn't really what I'd call a metal guitarist, but eh I voted for him since his lead playing is ultimately the most influential on my own style.
Kirk Hammett is just a bag of complete suck, and Zakk is just a complete idiot "I'M A BIKER FROM THE SOUTH!"
No, you're a goddamn kid from New Jersey, you douche.

Dave Mustaine is the man.
Yeah, he's been shown to be arrogant over the years, but I honestly think if you just talked to him one on one he's actually a much nicer guy than it seems. I think he just does the whole "MegaDave" thing for the media really, he's probably actually a really nice and humble guy.
And his rhythm playing is just TIGHT. Big influence on my rhythm playing

Dimebag Darrell.
Another guitar hero of mine. From his leads to his rhythm, his style really cut me deep and affected the way I play. His monstrous grooves are just so infectious and sometimes I end playing riffs that sound too similar to his stuff for comfort because it's so ingrained in me now.

Not on this list at all, but an honorable mention to Josh Middleton from Sylosis.
Rhythm guitar skills are just completely off the wall and it's no wonder everyone that sees Sylosis live says Josh is the single most tightest guitarist they've ever seen live.
I'd sit in my own urine for 2 months to be able to play like him.

1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 8:26am
I vote for  but  or  are another 2 Hell of axemen!!!
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 9:07am
Great post here^ who is that last guitar legend? forgotten his name
GLAM METAL!
whitedragon1969 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitedragon1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 6:24pm
Steve Vai because he is from another planet
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 9:22am
Recently I discovered

A great Power Metal axeman from Trieste.

Extremely recommended!!!
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:45pm
i vote petrucci

runner-up:
ron jarzombek

alberto mu�oz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alberto mu�oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 12:13pm
i don't know, too many favourites for me.
Maybe for metal Kai Hansen or the guy of Destruction.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 11:00pm
Voted for Vai. On the list he's probably my favorite.

As for a less metal oriented shredder I always have to shout out for Buckethead. Sure, he's got a gimmick but he's an incredible musician too.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 4:41pm
tony macalpine
The Crimson King View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Crimson King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 9:13am
Dime
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 4:26pm
I may be a little bias towards DT, but I can't see many better than Petrucci.

The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 1:42am
"Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi is one of only two guitarists (the other being Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page) that can take full credit for pioneering the mammoth riffs of heavy metal."

Greatest metal guitarist?
The one who invented it perhaps?

Iommi gets my vote
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 7:03am
^ a great choice here too. I love Iommi's riffs - I AM IRON MAAAAAAAAN dangdang dudduhdudhn dadadadadadaaaaaaaaa duhn duhn duhnnnnnnnn
GLAM METAL!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 7:48am
^LOL A perfect explanation to how the Iron Man riff sounds. Down to the right rythm and everything.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 5:39pm
^Big smile

martindavey87 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Error & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martindavey87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:39am
John Petrucci.

But since they're not on the list, here's a mention of Michael Romeo, Chris Caffery and Johan Reinholdz.

\m/ \m/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic