MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Girl metal - Girlschool, Kittie, Lita, etc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Girl metal - Girlschool, Kittie, Lita, etc
    Posted: 21 May 2010 at 1:34pm
I love the girl metal bands such as:

and

Rock Goddess

and even

Talk to me about any of these all girl heavy metal bands....

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 21 May 2010 at 9:53pm
GLAM METAL!
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 2:12pm
As a woman, I have to say I don't particularly like the use of the term 'chick metal', but I understand it is not used with malice. Anyway, I remember both Girlschool and Rock Goddess from the NWoBHM days, and also some other all-girl bands, though of a more glam-metal persuasion. 
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:04pm
Black metal band Astarte.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 6:22pm
I can't say I'm familiar with any of these bands, but there is sure some TERRIBLE album artwork posted here! LOL
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

As a woman, I have to say I don't particularly like the use of the term 'chick metal', but I understand it is not used with malice. Anyway, I remember both Girlschool and Rock Goddess from the NWoBHM days, and also some other all-girl bands, though of a more glam-metal persuasion. 
No offense at all as thats a term all my mates used for this type of metal. We love it! Nightwish, After Forever and Epica are awesome too though not total girl band. The Runaways are definitely pioneers too of the heavier style of metal. i wish they were here on the MMarchives as they are one of the first all girl bands to use heavier sounds along with Suzi Quatro.  

The Runaways
GLAM METAL!
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

My goodness what a sound these girls make!

I was shocked. Very nasty vocals. They are so pretty it must be a fun concert when you see them and that noise comes out of her mouthLOL
GLAM METAL!
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 9:48pm
1. Within Temptation (Sharon den Adel)
2. Ex-Sirenia (Monika Pedersen)
3. Mandragora Scream (Morgan LaCroix)
4. Xandria (Lisa Middelhauve)
5. Nightwish (Anette Olzon)
6. Lacuna Coil (Cristina Scabbia)
7. Epica (Simone Simons)
8. Tarja Turunen
Category:

These are excellent female artists

see clip here

GLAM METAL!
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 9:50pm
Part 2!

1. Mariangela Demurtas (Tristania)
2. Vibeke Stene (ex Tristania)
3. Kaisa Jouhki (Battlelore)
4. Liv Kristine
5. Marcela Bovio (Stream of Passion)
6. Anneke van Giersbergen (ex The Gathering)
7. Lotta H�glin (Beseech)
8. Floor Jansen(After Forever)

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 21 May 2010 at 9:52pm
GLAM METAL!
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 12:05am
Well ACR,

Seems not too many Metalheads like "Chick" Bands, I for one never understood that, its just
another aspect of Metal (and Prog) that I enjoy.  But there are not too many All Female Bands,
but have incredible Singers (Though their are many Bands that have Female Instrumentalists).

I wonder if you agree Raff that Women are not taken seriously in Metal?

Some fave Bands that are Female fronted/Vocally (and Musicians):
1. Aghora (Math Metal)
2. To-mera (Math Metal)
3. Gaia (Math Metal)
4. Stream of Passion (Darkwave/Metal)
5. After Forever (Prog Metal)
6. Leaves Eyes (Darkwave/Folk Metal)
7. Mythologic (Tech-Prog Metal)
8. Within Temptation (Darkwave/Metal)
9. Drain STH (Heavy Metal) Just discovering what I missed!
10. Lita Ford (Heavy Metal) Earlier stuff for me.
11. Doro (Heavy Metal/etc.)
12. Warlock (Heavy Metal)
13. Arch Enemy (Death Metal) Though I prefer the years with Johan Liiva on Vocals,
which has more to do with the "music" compositions.
14. Charisma (Tech-Prog Metal)
15. The Gathering (Heavy Metal/Darkwave/Prog Metal)
16. Chastain (Heavy Metal)
17. Znowhite (Thrash Metal) "Nicole Lee" may have been the 1st Female Thrash
Vocalist.
18. Saraya (Hard Rock/Heavy Metal)
19. Epica (Darkwave/Metal)
20. Nightwish (Darkwave/Metal)
21. Unexpect (Avant Garde Metal)
22. Diablo Swing Orchestra (Avant Garde Metal)
23. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (Avant Garde Metal)
. . . I seem to be forgetting some others Confused

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 11 Jul 2010 at 10:11pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 2:32am
GALLHAMMER, black/doom metal from Japan.

MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 4:38am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Well ACR,

Seems not too many Metalheads like "Chick" Bands, I for one never understood that, its just
another aspect of Metal (and Prog) that I enjoy.  But there are not too many All Female Bands,
but have incredable Singers (Though their are many Bands that have Female Instrumentalists).

I wonder if you agree Raff that Women are not taken seriously in Metal?

Some fave Bands that are Female fronted/Vocally (and Musicians):
1. Aghora (Math Metal)
2. To-mera (Math Metal)
3. Gaia (Math Metal)
4. Stream of Passion (Darkwave/Metal)
5. After Forever (Prog Metal)
6. Leaves Eyes (Darkwave/Folk Metal)
7. Mythologic (Tech-Prog Metal)
8. Within Temptation (Darkwave/Metal)
9. Drain STH (Heavy Metal) Just discovering what I missed!
10. Lita Ford (Heavy Metal) Earlier stuff for me.
11. Doro (Heavy Metal/etc.)
12. Warlock (Heavy Metal)
13. Arch Enemy (Death Metal) Though I prefer the years with Johan Liiva on Vocals,
which has more to do with the "music" compositions.
14. Charisma (Tech-Prog Metal)
15. The Gathering (Heavy Metal/Darkwave/Prog Metal)
16. Chastain (Heavy Metal)
17. Znowhite (Thrash Metal) "Nicole Lee" may have been the 1st Female Thrash
Vocalist.
18. Saraya (Hard Rock/Heavy Metal)
19. Epica (Darkwave/Metal)
20. Nightwish (Darkwave/Metal)
21. Unexpect (Avant Garde Metal)
22. Diablo Swing Orchestra (Avant Garde Metal)
23. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (Avant Garde Metal)
. . . I seem to be forgetting some others Confused

Thats quite a list! I grew up with er........ girl bands after getting heavily into Runaways, Quatro (surely a pioneer_ and Girlschool. There are way more girl bands now but they are a fabulous sub genre - this is a male dominated  genre, metal, so its great that girl bands are beginning to make a mark, esp all the Goth bands such as Nightwish, Epica, After Forever and Within Temptation. i love the mixture of power metalriffs and operatic female singing. Its incredible music if you give it a chance.  
GLAM METAL!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 5:02am
FANNY

The original all-girl rock group who could actually play their instruments;

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 5:40am
I am not a big fan of operatic female vocals (unless we're talking about 'real' opera, of course), while I like powerful, gutsy female voices. The one that most impressed me when I first heard it was Veronica Freeman of Benedictum - simply put, a female version of Ronnie James Dio (RIPCry), with a pair of forge bellows instead of lungs. Totally awesome - I'd kill to have a voice like that!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I am not a big fan of operatic female vocals (unless we're talking about 'real' opera, of course), while I like powerful, gutsy female voices. The one that most impressed me when I first heard it was Veronica Freeman of Benedictum - simply put, a female version of Ronnie James Dio (RIPCry), with a pair of forge bellows instead of lungs. Totally awesome - I'd kill to have a voice like that!

I agree Raff, she is pretty impressive. I have their Uncreation cd.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 11:08pm
Its too bad, just recently noticed that Benedictum was removed from my fave Internet Station, so I guess
they didnt deem them "Progressive" Metal anymore Unhappy. But at-least I have the album.
She does indeed (Veronica) has a set of . . . eh-em LUNGS, very powerful voice and its no surprising
that "Uncreation" has 2 Dio era-Sabbath songs, "Heaven & Hell" and "Mob Rules".
I just learned that she was in a Dio Tribute Band called "Evillution" Thumbs Up.

As to the "Operatic Voices, Raff, I used to feel the same but am now re-discovering many of those
Females that have made it (in)famous.  But a particular fave right now, Floor Jansen of the now
disbanded "Forever After".  I tell you, their last self-titled album astounds me, not only the
Orchestra Arrangements, the Heaviness and subtle complexity of the Music (Much like an
Orchestra, I'm sure thanks to a Young Joost Van Den Broek on Keyboards). And Floor has soo
many different ranges to her voice, to the melodic "Singing", "pretty" and Heavy Metal style, but
when she sings in her Soprano voice, its like a guest Opera Singer comes in (Along with
Guitarists Sander Gommans "Cookie Vocals" for a bit of flavour). Floor has her own Band now
called ReVamp, have not heard them yet.
"Evoke" (Good example of her ranges):

Floor's ReVamp "Disdain":

Wow! She does the harsher style as well.

Znowhite "War Machine":

Aghora "Atmas Heave":

Benedictum, "Shell Shock":

And now the more extreme . . . Arch Enemy!

Various styles that some folks may have missed Rawks

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 29 May 2010 at 3:18am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 2:39am
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

That's pretty good. I think maybe their image is incongruous with their music, but I guess that's a minor issue.
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 9:41am
Out of that lot of youtube clips Aghora really sounded great - the clean female vocals and  crunching riffs wor brilliantly. it is almost a progressive feel.

GLAM METAL!
Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 6:32am
Kittie is good for a laugh now and then.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 7:47pm
As a happy fan of glam metal, might I add that Vixen are quite a good band. I like thier guitar solos, clean, gustsy and very 80's drunken party style.
Sleeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 12:29pm
Madder Mortem are a favorite of mine, Agnete Kirkvaarg is an absolute belter of a vocalist.

Virgin Black are another, where Samantha Escarbe plays guitar and writes the music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic