MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Girl metal - Girlschool, Kittie, Lita, etc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 1:37pm
Well, it's better than giving the credit to Alestorm.
genghiscon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 1:44am
I am a huge fan of Female fronted or formed bands. Something totally under appreciated by most metal fans.
Done right, it adds such a interesting dynamic to the music.

If you aren't familiar with one of my all-time favs, Dawn Crosby from the bands Detente and Fear of God, you owe it to yourself as a metalhead to check out Detente's 1986 album, Recognize No Authority, and Fear of God's 1991 album, Within The Veil (a far superior effort, IMHO) Dawn brought such an amazing emotional intensity to her singing that one couldn't hear her and not be blown away. Its a shame she died so young.

Drain STH is another of my favorites and its sad that they left so much untapped potential behind when they parted ways.

I strongly concur that The Gathering, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, To-Mera, Epica, and After Forever are all well worth the time to hunt down all their releases and immerse yourself with them. 

Just a link here to whet ones appetite for the aforementioned late Dawn Crosby:

Yog Sothoth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 7:08pm
I saw Fear Of God back in 1991 and they put on a hell of a show, although Dawn left the stage in a huff before the last song finished (cool that the band kept playing anyways). She didn't hang out at the bar after they played (not in a good mood) but I wound up hangin' with the bass player for awhile. He was pretty much obssessed with Led Zeppelin, telling me they were his favorite band three times.

I dig plenty of female fronted bands; the vocals add a different dimension to the music. Madder Mortem is my favorite these days, although I do have a soft spot for Edenbridge.

Edited by Yog Sothoth - 24 Nov 2011 at 7:08pm
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 10:06pm
Wendy O. Williams. Ace Frehley and Lemmy did a lot of songs with her.

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 12:50pm
The only female fronted rock/metal artist i listen to are Girlschool, Warlock/Doro, The Gathering, Christian Mistress. There are some female fronted prog bands i enjoy but that's another story. Smile

Edited by LittleBig - 28 May 2015 at 1:57am
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 4:01pm
Your little list is well-rounded though Big smile
You'll probably like a lot of the Bands we mention so take a look . . .

My Lists have a lot of Prog Metal Bands, so I hope you find some new music to enjoy Smile.

"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 5:54pm
of course i forget to mention Heart.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 2:18am
Okay SLUDGE hammers . . .

Read and take a listen . . . wow.

Slow Head Banging fun!
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 2:01pm
Whoa! . . .

I came across these beauties when searching for some Images of Arch/Matheos Tongue
. . . I have no idea why they came up but check these Ladies out!

Man . . . women look GREAT headbanging with long hair Big smile!
Awesome music!

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 23 Dec 2011 at 2:02pm

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:55pm
I was just pointed to these Femme Fatales . . .

Birtha, checkout their music:

Thanks to Ted McKendry at the Linkedin Group "Heavy Metal" Big smile.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 1:50pm
Huntress, trad metal with a female voice:

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 3:20pm
Jeez!
That Huntress was awesome, what a voice!  Does she "dress" like that on stage? Tongue
. . . shes gorgeous Shocked.
I would not want any guys "behind" me when she comes on stage LOL . . . wait, thats not funny Ermm.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 05 Feb 2012 at 3:25pm

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:23am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Does she "dress" like that on stage? Tongue

I believe so. Wink

Back onto the music, that song made Huntress' debut one of my most anticipated albums for this year.

Actually I just realised that almost all my most anticipated albums feature female singers. The new Epica is sounding promising as does the new Hysterica, even if it is cheesy as hell.

GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:29am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Huntress, trad metal with a female voice:

...reminds me slightly of the old Sinergy albums. And my, my what a girl!!!Shocked
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Does she "dress" like that on stage? Tongue

I believe so. Wink

Yeah apparently she does, after doing research and theyre from LA surprisingly Wink.
Seems she (and the Band maybe) are "Wiccan's" , I had my share Wiccan Girls to pursue . . .
I turned that "blacklight" off MANY years ago .  uh . . . yeah . . . and She's a TALL one too.
So weird that they are from a part of town that is a Metro-Rail away.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 5:09am
For those that enjoyed the last Huntress track, here's their second music video. Album drops in a couple of days.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 2:28pm
More great female fronted trad metal:

GG2U

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 2:36am
It should be an outcry as to why women are not taken seriously in Metal. What if someone did not take you seriously when it came to your music because of your sex/gender? Stern Smile

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 31 Aug 2014 at 2:37am
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 2:16am
Blood Ceremony
Mount Salem

female fronted traditional doom, it's becoming some kinda trend, but I don't mind, the music is usually good.

Christofer Johnsson of Therion has a new band called Luciferian Light Orchestra, the vocals are quite nice

another band I recommend is Blues Pills, not exactly metal but a very good retro-sounding hard rock, think of a mix of Cream, Led Zep and Fleetwood Mac. The vocalist is amazing!

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 5:59am
I've enjoyed...

Kobra and the Lotus
A Sound of Thunder
Nightwish
Triosphere
MindMaze
Arch Enemy
Bolt Thrower
The Gathering
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic