Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Band That Was AWESOME and then Wasn't

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Nick Dilley Nick Dilley wrote:

Okay, on the flip side....

What's the band you think has never failed to kick ass? Whether it's an objective opinion or something you know is one of those "this band can do no wrong [for me]" things....

I need to think about who that is for me for a bit. How 'bout you guys?

Mastodon and Tool are 2 bands that have yet to disappoint me.  However, I didn't even like Mastodon on my first listen (I think I'd only heard "Blood and Thunder" around the time it launched).  I got into them through Crack The Skye, and went backwards realizing they haven't really done wrong.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 8:38pm
Satyricon.  They really need to rewind and drop the whole "black n role" shtick.  It's not all bad, though "K.I.N.G." is rather obnoxious.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 9:05pm
How about Sadus?  They released some insanely good brutal thrash metal back in the day but then released that really average "comeback" album that sounded nothing similar.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 11:52pm

What's the band you think has never failed to kick ass? Whether it's an objective opinion or something you know is one of those "this band can do no wrong [for me]" things....

Rush, Death, Amorphis, Overkill, Isis
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 7:28am
Sepultura. Once an excellent band, with many classic albums. After the departure of Max Cavalera, Sepultura never were the same...
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 12:37pm

Isis, Kayo Dot

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Satyricon.  They really need to rewind and drop the whole "black n role" shtick.  It's not all bad, though "K.I.N.G." is rather obnoxious.

I feel exactly the opposite about Satyricon. I�m not too thrilled about their early stuff but I really like their later releases.
VargTheViking View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VargTheViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 1:41pm

Bolt Thrower, Rotting Christ, Isis, and Type O Negative all have great discographies imo. I'm probably forgetting a few but these are the ones that popped into my head almost instantaneously.

Edited by VargTheViking - 25 Mar 2013 at 1:43pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Mastodon and Tool are 2 bands that have yet to disappoint me.  However, I didn't even like Mastodon on my first listen (I think I'd only heard "Blood and Thunder" around the time it launched).  I got into them through Crack The Skye, and went backwards realizing they haven't really done wrong.

In addition to these:  Isis (as others mentioned), Enslaved, Napalm Death (though they were still trying to find their sound on Scum), and Alice In Chains have yet to really disappointing me.  I thought of another one at work but forgot.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 6:47am
Clutch and Monster Magnet for me. Flawless discographies.
Coheed And Cambria are flawless for me so far.

Hatebreed are consistently perfect.  

I agree on Mastodon.

Rishloo and Riverside haven't ever made a bad song to my ears.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:39am
Back to the original topic: Morbid Angel obviously.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Back to the original topic: Morbid Angel obviously.

haha yeah...
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Am I allowed to say Mastodon?  I think The Hunter kind of blows.

Going to add Megadeth, in my opinion The System Has Failed was a great comback album that fits in with their classic albums, but everything they've released since has been more unremarkable & sterile.  I just don't hear the thrash spirit any more.

Not even going to touch on Metallica other than to say that I don't see what makes Death Magnetic any better than any of their 90s albums.

Boris is one of my favourite bands but I will freely admit that they haven't done anything amazing in 6 or 7 years.

Then you've got bands like, say, Korpiklaani or Alestorm (or Dream Theater trololololo) that make me go... okay, I get it, this is your style.  Just don't expect me to buy the "same" album again.  That's an entirely different pot to stir, though.

Kind of?? You either think it blows or not

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 02 May 2013 at 1:08am
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 10:55am
The world is not a black and white place.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 6:52am
Metallica, Queensryche and Def Leppard come to mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic