MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Band That Was AWESOME and then Wasn't

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Band That Was AWESOME and then Wasn't
    Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 11:50pm
HEY.

What was the band that you thought would be the shizz forever, but then totally let you down?

For me, Shadows Fall comes to mind...

I loved Somber Eyes to the Sky and Of One Blood. Heck, I even liked The Art of Balance quite a bit.

...but after that... ugh...

Okay, the intro to "The Light that Blinds" was sick as hell. But other than that....*yawn*

www.withinareverie.blogspot.com
soundcloud.com/withinareverie
facebook.com/withinareverie
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 1:27am
BLACK TIDE fucking POST MORTEM was a piece of shit man i loved light from above. black tide was a band i wanted to see grow and evolve. not become like every other band. that said i still like the song that fire on post mortem but the rest is garbage. hopefully when their 3 album surfaces they will get  heads out of their asses and actually make a follow up to light from above and not continue down the commercial path of post mortem. they were one of my favorite bands and light from above was only their first album. i still love that album and own the cd of it. THEY WASTED THEIR FUCKING TALENTS ON POST FAGTEM
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 1:51am
did i mention that post mortem PISSES ME THE FUCK OFF OMFg. excluding the song that fire of course

Edited by vmoore - 16 Mar 2013 at 1:52am
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 10:22am
First band that comes to mind is Metallica who were my fave band for many years but have let me down a lot since! No problem just time for me to move on Headbanger
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 5:00pm
I might be the odd man out here, but I think that Metallica redeemed themselves with Death Magnetic. Then, of course, they did Lulu, but that's not a "real" Metallica album to me anyway.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I might be the odd man out here, but I think that Metallica redeemed themselves with Death Magnetic. Then, of course, they did Lulu, but that's not a "real" Metallica album to me anyway.

I agree that Death Magnetic was good and so was the more recent EP .... but I was still disappointed by Load / Re-Load and especially St.Anger & Lulu. Concerning Lulu - they have all defended it to the hilt in the press so we must accept that they consider it part of their discography.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 5:47pm
in my opinion that ep you speak of is called beyond magnetic and i think it is the best thing they have written and released in yearsi love every song on it

Edited by vmoore - 16 Mar 2013 at 5:49pm
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 7:04pm

Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Agree 100%.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 1:57am
Lacuna Coil for me. I enjoy their older gothic metal work, but the quality of their albums has been taking downturns since they started playing alternative metal IMO. I hated their last album Dark Adrenaline. The two before that were OK with a few highlights. But they've never done anything on the level of their first two albums again for me. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 5:37am
Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

but I was still disappointed by Load / Re-Load and especially St.Anger & Lulu.

I don't like Load and Re-Load either. I actually won a copy of Load at a pre-release party. The only time I was not happy with winning something. Still, I kept it and I still have it somewhere.... but I never listen to it. I actually quite like St. Anger, but it is nowhere near their classics, or even Death Magnetic.

Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

Concerning Lulu - they have all defended it to the hilt in the press so we must accept that they consider it part of their discography.

Well, Metallica certainly have to defend it and to consider it part of their discography... otherwise, they would sort of undermine the whole thing and, you know, not acknowledge Lou Reed and all that. But to me, it's not a "real" Metallica album.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 7:18am
Cradle Of Filth haven't done anything good in years.
Fear Factory lost my interest a lot.

But a lot of Prog bands went bad in the 80s, a lot of Thrash bands went bad in the 90s, a lot of 90s bands went band in the last decade.

Its cool when bands like Megadeth or Kiss come back after a slump and start being awesome again though.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 4:07pm

Edited by IMPF2112 - 13 Feb 2019 at 6:25pm
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 4:24pm
This is a Loaded question.  I generally find that when I like a band I tend to generally like all of their output.  I haven't heard Lulu yet, so there is still that chance.  I like Load and Re-Load and Some Kind of Monster and St. Anger, and Death Magnetic.  None of them are as great as the Ride The Lightning through Black Album phase, but I still like them.

Queensryche are a band that get slagged a lot in this category, but again they are a band that haven't made a bad album.  However, they've made some not as good as their classic albums.  I think it is really hard to find a band out there that hasn't done this though.  Aerosmith, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc... have all made some classic masterpiece albums, but they have also released some not as good drug fueled/record label deal/formula following albums that although they are enjoyable enough to listen to they aren't as great as their masterpiece albums.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 5:28pm
Am I allowed to say Mastodon?  I think The Hunter kind of blows.

Going to add Megadeth, in my opinion The System Has Failed was a great comback album that fits in with their classic albums, but everything they've released since has been more unremarkable & sterile.  I just don't hear the thrash spirit any more.

Not even going to touch on Metallica other than to say that I don't see what makes Death Magnetic any better than any of their 90s albums.

Boris is one of my favourite bands but I will freely admit that they haven't done anything amazing in 6 or 7 years.

Then you've got bands like, say, Korpiklaani or Alestorm (or Dream Theater trololololo) that make me go... okay, I get it, this is your style.  Just don't expect me to buy the "same" album again.  That's an entirely different pot to stir, though.

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 19 Mar 2013 at 5:32pm
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Am I allowed to say Mastodon?  I think The Hunter kind of blows.

Going to add Megadeth, in my opinion The System Has Failed was a great comback album that fits in with their classic albums, but everything they've released since has been more unremarkable & sterile.  I just don't hear the thrash spirit any more.

Not even going to touch on Metallica other than to say that I don't see what makes Death Magnetic any better than any of their 90s albums.

Boris is one of my favourite bands but I will freely admit that they haven't done anything amazing in 6 or 7 years.

No, you are not allowed to say Mastodon.  haha.

Totally agree with the Megadeth statement. I think their albums after The System Has Failed each had one or two good tracks, but overall, I agree.  Definitely missing that spirit.

VargTheViking View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VargTheViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 6:09pm
I find that after The System Has Failed the quality is all over the place. United Abominations was ok, but there was a lot of filler. Endgame was pretty sweet overall and Thirteen was pretty dull. I don't know if I should be looking forward to Super Collider or not to be honest.

Edited by VargTheViking - 19 Mar 2013 at 6:09pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 6:37pm
With a name like "Super Collider" I don't have high hopes.  Though it's marginally better than "Th1rt3en"
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 7:22pm
I believe megadeth has been on a great album run since the world needs a hero
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 7:13pm
Okay, on the flip side....

What's the band you think has never failed to kick ass? Whether it's an objective opinion or something you know is one of those "this band can do no wrong [for me]" things....

I need to think about who that is for me for a bit. How 'bout you guys?

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 7:34pm
^Rush! Cathedral!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic