MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 3 Worst Metal album covers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 3 Worst Metal album covers!
    Posted: 21 May 2010 at 6:20am
Here we go with my first negative thread

but these are always fun

Post what you consider to be the 3 worst metal album covers in history.

Mine are as follows: 

I likek what Booboo from PA said if I may quote:
James: Hey guys, I'd like you to meet Andres Serrano, the creator of such masterpieces as "Piss Christ", he's designing our album cover.

Lars: So what is it going to be?

Andres: Well, I'm gonna take some bovine blood...

Lars: Blood? Awesome. That's totally metal. Go on.

Andres: Then I'm gonna mix it with my own semen, and then squish the liquids between two plates of glass and take a picture of it.

Lars: ...

James: BRILLIANT!

No seriously, that's exactly what it is. Why do you think they called it Load?

HilariousLOL

another

So dark I cant figure it out

Next:

I love th band but this is atrocious!

your turn now

GLAM METAL!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 6:55am
I alwasy loved this one: Tear Your Soul Apart cover (Click to see larger picture)
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 9:03am
Here's a notoriously bad one: Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death.  There's too much going on, and it looks like a first draft. The album title font doesn't look right either.  Actually nothing looks right aside from Eddie.

lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 11:07am
Wasn't this thread inspired by the thread of the same name (with prog instead of metal) on PA ?

Edited by lucas - 21 May 2010 at 11:07am
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 12:32pm
Cover art

The computer-generated cover art for the album was provided by David Patchett, but he asked to be removed from the credits because he was not satisfied with the result. The version used was actually a prototype provided by Patchett, but the band decided to use it in its incomplete form. Upon close inspection, one can note several of errors: The character on the far right looking out of the picture appears to have a broken neck. The white dog is standing on the snake underneath it. The baby's foot is cutting into the dog and appears more to be suspended in mid-air than sitting on a wolf. The small child character at the front on the left is standing on the other characters foot. The character doing a back-flip on the left of Eddie has a dislocated shoulder, his left hand is also against his right arm instead of on the floor and the back-flipping character's right leg is dislocated.[1]

We're gonna do a little number featuring Randy Rhoads...

Wine is fine but whisky's quicker.

That's what Rock n' Roll's About!!!!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 3:51pm
Here's one a quick Google search for "worst metal album cover" turned up.

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Wasn't this thread inspired by the thread of the same name (with prog instead of metal) on PA ?

Hehe, yes and guess who started it (and I'm a bit disturbed by the statement "My 1st negitive thread", as
I see PA turning into a "Slam Pit", dont let it happen hereConfused).
AtomicCrimsonRush . . . take a bow Clap.

By the way, I disagree with alot of folks there about some of their choices for "Bad" covers
(maybe because I'm a Freelance Artist and studied Art History on my own) Ouch.
But here so-far, yup . . . these are pretty bad LOL. There are plenty of "Gore Metal" album covers
that will make your worst nightmares and the movies "Hostel", "The Audition" and "Dead Alive"
seem like episodes of Mister Rogers Neigborhood!  The Art "might" be well executed but it will
be totally in Bad Taste (more than the Uriah Heep Cover for "Fallen Angel" at PA, by one of my
fave Fantasy Artists Tongue).

Atomic . . . you should start a "Christian Metal Appreciation Thread", Deliverance is a great Thrash
Band from the old days! (But you may want to stop "casting the 1st stones" Wink).

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 22 May 2010 at 2:34pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 2:27pm
Well this one might not make the top 3, but why on earth include an angry snowman on a death metal album??? That�s just ridiculousSmile 
.. Album Cover

Edited by UMUR - 22 May 2010 at 2:27pm
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 2:35pm
hehehe I LIKE IT!  Must be a Concept Album by the Math-Death Metal Italians LOL
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 2:48pm
^yeah probablyLOL
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

[
Hehe, yes and guess who started it (and I'm a bit disturbed by the statement "My 1st negitive thread", as

As long as I am part of the Admin team, this will NOT happen. I fought long and hard against the spread of negative threads on PA, but after a while I got tired of talking to the wall, so to speak. If people think that the only way to discuss music is by bashing what they don't like, then I'd rather not discuss it altogether. For the time being, the negative threads have been kept to a minimum, and no one has turned sour yet. However, if this becomes a trend, I and the others will try our best to put an end to it
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 5:59pm
I'm glad Raff Smile
I stepped into another " I HATE DREAM THEATER" thread at PA, and the few poor guys that just "mentioned" they liked them, they end up getting beat-up by the peanut gallery (AND I get equally mad at the DT "Holier than Thou" Fans as well) Unhappy.
I just HOPE that "this" thread is in Fun, and will not get bashed if I said (or anyone) "But I LIKE that cover".

But Raff, how "Explicit" can we get with Album Covers? Metal/"Gore Metal" can be EXTREMELY gross
and shocking, I for one wont put them up, because I think it'll have a dominoe effect (for good or bad).
But a Bad cover is a Bad cover (in taste and/or execution), but its "In the Eye of the Beholder".
. . . i think Stern Smile.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 22 May 2010 at 6:00pm

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 6:09pm
Well, this is a metal site, and we all know how awful some of those covers can be. They are available elsewhere on the site, so it would sound a bit hypocritical on our part (I mean we Admins) to ban their posting here. I believe that it should be up to each individual member's sense of what is appropriate to decide whether it is a good idea to post something that might shock others. 
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

[

As long as I am part of the Admin team, this will NOT happen. I fought long and hard against the spread of negative threads on PA, but after a while I got tired of talking to the wall, so to speak. If people think that the only way to discuss music is by bashing what they don't like, then I'd rather not discuss it altogether. For the time being, the negative threads have been kept to a minimum, and no one has turned sour yet. However, if this becomes a trend, I and the others will try our best to put an end to it
This was not created to slam metal but to have fun withthe silliness of metal and like every genre there are some downright stupid ideas in the music esp the album covers. I like it so far the way pple ave responded but of course this is only a bit of fun and hopefully will remain that way - if not just get rid of the thread - its that easy tho its an eye opener to se some of these albums esp that warrior one - what were they thinkingLOLLOLLOL
on the other hand I hate threads that slam bands like Dream Theater - thats just offensive.Dead I noticed a thread here called I hate Slayer and I refuse to post in it at all.
GLAM METAL!
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 2:17am
I have to "defend" the Slayer thread though,
At 1st it was just to tell "why" he didnt like them, and it would start a "Discussion" because they are VERY popular.  I like a few albums but their are alot of bands of that era (imho) that were better musicians, but . . . Slayer has a sound that I like sometimes.  Its that sound-why they are popular.
But the thread got heated, instead of "opinions" it got into a Bash.  Folks have to remember that what they write is "their own opinion" and NOT "My way or the highway" Ermm.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 2:22am
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Well, this is a metal site, and we all know how awful some of those covers can be. They are available elsewhere on the site, so it would sound a bit hypocritical on our part (I mean we Admins) to ban their posting here. I believe that it should be up to each individual member's sense of what is appropriate to decide whether it is a good idea to post something that might shock others. 

Yes please. No censorship in that regard. It�s important that we document and not judge. If the question was about how far you�re supposed to go in a thread like this, I say the same, but as Raff suggests the voice of reason might come in handy tooSmile. But then again why shouldn�t I post a covers like the meat collages by Carcass if I felt they were they ugliest covers in the world? As long as it�s part of the thread intention I don�t see it as a problem. I�m going through the death metal sub at the moment ( and probably a few years from nowWink) and I�ve seen my fair share of bestial and quite frankly tasteless cover artwork. That�s also what this site is about though. We represent every genre in metal, also the ones we might not enjoy much ourselves. For instance I found a white supremacy act the other day. That kind of got me bothered but not for a second do I consider censorship. That would more or less ruin the credibility of MMA IMO.

Edited by UMUR - 23 May 2010 at 2:51am
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 3:40am
^ Do you rworst then post the ugly covers, to I believe those covers at least show the intent of thebands rather than just bad covers. Heres another I think is rather silly

WACO JESUS - Receptive When Beaten cover

CARCASS - Choice Cuts cover

DEFECATION - Intention Surpassed cover

Let the hate continue....
GLAM METAL!
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 10:33am
I just saw this in the What Are You Listening To? thread... absolutely awful! LOL

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 10:42am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

[QUOTE=Raff]

Yes please. No censorship in that regard. It�s important that we document and not judge. If the question was about how far you�re supposed to go in a thread like this, I say the same, but as Raff suggests the voice of reason might come in handy tooSmile. But then again why shouldn�t I post a covers like the meat collages by Carcass if I felt they were they ugliest covers in the world? As long as it�s part of the thread intention I don�t see it as a problem. I�m going through the death metal sub at the moment ( and probably a few years from nowWink) and I�ve seen my fair share of bestial and quite frankly tasteless cover artwork. That�s also what this site is about though. We represent every genre in metal, also the ones we might not enjoy much ourselves. For instance I found a white supremacy act the other day. That kind of got me bothered but not for a second do I consider censorship. That would more or less ruin the credibility of MMA IMO.

There are quite a few such acts included in the database, and - when I first saw them and their names - I was rather shocked as well. Unfortunately, they exist, and dealing with them is a classic case of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'. When you have a database which aspires to being as complete as possible, it is almost a duty to include every metal band, even those whose beliefs are abhorrent. I would, however, draw the line to any kind of glorification of the aforementioned beliefs, and I don't think I have to explain why.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 10:49am
^That sounds absolutely reasonable RaffThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic