MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thrash Metal Fans Unite!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:43pm
Lars is a buffoon, but I think he’s alright. He’s better than a lot of drummers out there. After all, he is a pioneer of sorts really.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:55pm
Yeah, as much fun as it is to make fun of him, he is a great drummer. He really redeemed himself on Hardwired. Now hopefully they don't go screw it up by making another Lulu like they did after Death Magnetic. LOL
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 12:20am
Ooooh, Death Magnetic. Could be my pick of theirs. I truly burnt out their 80’s albums (and myself haha) back then, when all we listened to was Zepp, Sabbath and Metallica, stoned to the eyeballs (then I’d go home and listen to my ‘Hippie’ music 😏)
Lulu hurt. Lots.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Yeah, as much fun as it is to make fun of him, he is a great drummer. He really redeemed himself on Hardwired. Now hopefully they don't go screw it up by making another Lulu like they did after Death Magnetic. LOL

I like Lulu better than Hardwired for Disappointment, but it wasn't really a Metallica album. It was Lou Reed with Metallica as a backing band.
Save
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 6:38pm
Reign In Blood = BRUTAL BRILLIANCE !! Just got myself a (reissue) vinyl copy. Can’t believe I was scared of this album back in the 80’s. I still prefer Hell Awaits and Divine Intervention over this one though.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 10:34pm
You really can't go wrong with any of Slayer's albums from the Haunting the Chapel EP to Divine Intervention. South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss are probably tied as my favorite.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Reign In Blood = BRUTAL BRILLIANCE !! Just got myself a (reissue) vinyl copy. Can’t believe I was scared of this album back in the 80’s. I still prefer Hell Awaits and Divine Intervention over this one though.

In the nicest possible way Tom, you are weird!LOL To be honest, it took me a few listens to click with Reign in Blood, because I'd started with South of Heaven, and was a bit disappointed at the lack of big, heavy riffs in it. I did figure out later they were still there, just played twice as fast as on SOH.Wink
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 12:00am

Lars is a buffoon, but I think he’s alright. He’s better than a lot of drummers out there. After all, he is a pioneer of sorts really.

I read a story about Mike Portnoy sticking up for Lars the other day. If anyone should know a decent drummer, it would be him. I don't know a paradiddle from a hi-hat, but I've also read that if you want a great creative and clever drum fill, Lars is your man. Just don't expect him to keep good time.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

In the nicest possible way Tom, you are weird!LOL To be honest, it took me a few listens to click with Reign in Blood, because I'd started with South of Heaven, and was a bit disappointed at the lack of big, heavy riffs in it. I did figure out later they were still there, just played twice as fast as on SOH.Wink
I guess I was digging Floyd, Caravan, Nektar etc. and smoking lots of weed back late-80’s early-90’s. Thrash was much too fast and aggressive for my mellow mindset. I did love Maiden, Purple and Sabbath though - heavy (and trippy) enough for me at the time.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:32am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I read a story about Mike Portnoy sticking up for Lars the other day. If anyone should know a decent drummer, it would be him. I don't know a paradiddle from a hi-hat, but I've also read that if you want a great creative and clever drum fill, Lars is your man. Just don't expect him to keep good time.
      Of course, Charlie Benante is my pick - or Tomas Haake.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 4:39am
Reign In Blood is crazy good. Just spinning now. Lombardo is insane on his drum kit.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 3:20pm
Damn this is good!

LightningRider View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LightningRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 10:22am
Is there a "how many think Testament should replace Anthrax in the Big 4 Club?"

Also, probably gonna check out some of the big 4 of Canadian thrash later.  The only one of those I'm versed in is Voivod.
And the Trogdor comes in the NIIIIGHT!
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 10:27am
Originally posted by LightningRider LightningRider wrote:

Also, probably gonna check out some of the big 4 of Canadian thrash later.  The only one of those I'm versed in is Voivod.

There is no Big 4 club.The Big 4 of thrash was a mainstream media invention trying to promote specifically the most popular thrash bands in 1989-1990 if I remember right (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax). So let's leave it at that, shall we? 
LightningRider View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LightningRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 11:13am
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Originally posted by LightningRider LightningRider wrote:

There is no Big 4 club.The Big 4 of thrash was a mainstream media invention trying to promote specifically the most popular thrash bands in 1989-1990 if I remember right (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax). So let's leave it at that, shall we? 

It was a joke.  Also, by "club" I meant on the forum, not a literal club of the bands.
And the Trogdor comes in the NIIIIGHT!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 3:10pm
This is getting better with every listen, very impressed...

https://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/xentrix/seven-words
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

This is getting better with every listen, very impressed...

https://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/xentrix/seven-words

It is rather fucking good, isn't it.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 9:28am
I´ve been listening to this one a lot this year, pretty bad ass death/thrash:

OXYGEN DESTROYER - Sinister Monstrosities Spawned by the Unfathomable Ignorance of Humankind cover

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/oxygen-destroyer/sinister-monstrosities-spawned-by-the-unfathomable-ignorance-of-humankind
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 11:27am
^ I'm interested, will be checking that out later.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 12:05pm
It´s the rabig dog snarling death/thrash style, not too far from old Merciless. Pretty nice to my ears, altough it´s not particularly unique, other than their lyrical universe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic