MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nu Metal  like Marmite you only love it or hate it
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nu Metal like Marmite you only love it or hate it

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Has Nu Metal damaged the good name of metal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [29.41%]
11 [64.71%]
1 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nu Metal like Marmite you only love it or hate it
    Posted: 15 May 2010 at 8:33am
Here's another obvious poll. Thoughts on Nu Metal are very divided in the metal community. Some think it disgraced the good name of metal by badly sewing together the angst of grunge, with the bad boy image of hip-hop and the crunch of industrial, in effect creating a horrendous music mongrel. Others say it was the shining light at the end of the 90's tunnel for metal lovers after it was left battered and bruised by the relentless grunge assault. So what are your thoughts?
 (P.S. Don't kill each other on this one please, it's just a poll.LOL )
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 8:41am
Metal never had a good name, so how could Nu Metal ruin it? ;-)
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 2:21pm
Nu metal is like smooth jazz, just because it has metal in the name it shouldn't be called metal. It's pseudo-heavy and has poor musicianship and sounds like poor rap mixed with poor alternative riffs played on a distorted guitar. I know blanket statements are rarely true, but I have yet to find an exception to this rule.

And just the fact that most people think this is what most metal is like has definitely tarnished what metal's really like. People think most metalheads are angsty no-gooders with a lack of musical skills, which is far from true.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 3:39pm
Possibly. 

Nu metal certainly brought a better image of metal in a mainstream sense to those who thought metal was a thing best left in the 80s.  It also served as a gateway to many people around my age who were becoming teenagers near the end of the 90s to help point us towards metal music.

I also can see the destructive side of the sub genre.  To those who were into metal music for years before nu metal came around may be upset that that new wave of bands were getting all sorts of attention when there were several arguably better bands playing very small clubs and receiving less promotion. 

Personally, I can't say I'm huge on many nu metal bands.  I can still listen to Korn every now and then, but not with regularity.  Listened to some of it when I was a teenager, but there were always a few bands that seemed like they were playing "follow the leader" to what other nu metal bands were already doing.  The same can be said about most sub genres of metal though.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 2:02am
No. Nu Metal to me is just like any other sub genre, some of it I like and some I don't care about. It just happened to be a style attracting a lot of attention at one point in time, but at least in this part of the world pretty much nobody thinks about it anymore. When Limp Bizkit comes to Finland they play very small venues, whereas the likes of Metallica and Maiden pack stadiums. I can't see any "harm" done. 

Basically it's just that I'm not a die hard metal head, I'm not worried about the reputation of "real" metal, so I just don't care at all.
<- Click on this!
The Pessimist View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 11:10am
No. Metal has always been pretty controversial, and I think Nu-Metal fits that bracket too.
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolutionary Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 9:59pm
Nu Metal is what got me into metal in the first place and ultimately, into prog, jazz and other types of music in general as I further branched out. I agree with Pekka on this one, just another sub genre.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 1:46pm
I say 'yes'. Nu metal has degraded metal overall, (well, for the traditionalists anyway) because it seems the music standards are traded in for a brutal image. I find it too corporate and trendy. A bad attempt at making music for no purpose but to sell to kids, this is obvious because of the different factions it was created to appeal to, grunge, metal and hip-hop. The styles (in my opinion) do not work when glued together, however, they do make sure all bases are covered if you wanted to sell an album to teens in the 90's.
 Since then, because it was such an explosion in the world of music, people continue the ideas of nu metal when it comes to selling music, continuing to corporatise metal into a perfect package for any angsty teen who purports to be a rock fan, I'm referring to the type of kid who cites Korn as one of thier heroes and won't even give Led Zeppelin a chance, though thier place in rock history is legendary. I feel Nu Metal also debased grunge in the same way.
  Many may find my argument weak by me saying Nu Metal began corporatising rock/metal, as there is 80's Glam Metal (which I am a great fan of) which many consider to be metal 'selling out'. The way I think of it is Glam still gave us real heroes, it gave us Eddie Van Halen, it gave us Slash. It gave us epic riffs, soaring solos and a good old drunken sing song...that's what metal is all about. Nu Metal is a dirge compared  to that, all just angst for the sheer hell of it because it attracts wayward kids with some extra pocket money.
   (THESE ARE SOLELY MY OWN OPINIONS AND ARE NOT INTENDED TO OFFEND ANYONE. Ying Yang)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 4:15am
Nu Metal hasn't ruined metal for me. The emergence of Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit or Korn or Coalchamber didn't make me enjoy listening to Death, Slayer, Maiden, Dio, Sabbath, Megadeth, 'Tallica etc. any less.

I agree that Nu Metal is corporate and trendy, but, as you hint at yourself, so was 80s Glam Metal, and that's of course something that a lot of metalheads don't like, because metal is supposed to be underground and not commercial. I don't particularly like Nu Metal, but not because of its commercial success or appeal to angsty teens or pop culture genre transcending imagery - I am just not on wavelength with a lot of Nu Metal artists musically.

I don't think Nu Metal has degraded metal in any way - it's just another subgenre. If anything, it has introduced a lot of kids who grew up during the Grunge-caused metal draught of the 90s and early 00s to metal and hard rock, and as we can see from some of the responses to this post, it has been a gateway to the world of metal for some people who started with, say Limp Bizkit or Korn and expanded to Pantera, Slayer, Maiden, Dream Theater etc. I think that is a positive thing - even if I don't like a lot of Nu Metal. Like you, I prefer guitar solos, heavy and epic riffs, twin lead guitars and all that stuff (not so much the "drunken sing song" part, since I don't drink alcohol - I hope that doesn't make me less metal Stern Smile), so that's probably why a lot of Nu Metal doesn't sit well with me. But it's not like I hate it - I guess my attitude towards Nu Metal is the same as Dave Mustaine's: some of the songs are okay, some of the records are okay.

Maybe Nu Metal, like Glam Metal, pushed the rest of metal back into the underground, but that is not a problem. That's where metal thrives. That is where it develops and progresses.

I have no problem with people who cite Korn as their heroes and not Led Zeppelin. I know who my heroes are (one of them died yesterday Cry), and that is good enough for me. If people want to worship Jonathan Davies and not Bruce Dickinson or Rob Halford, that's their own business. It doesn't really bother me.

I disagree that the grunge, metal and hiphop styles don't work well together. I think that the combination of metal and hiphop works very well in the case of Clawfinger, RATM and Geronimo. I guess that some artists are just more fortunate than others in combining metal and hiphop.

How did metal debase grunge?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 1:07pm
 ^
( RE: Debasing Grunge) I wasn't referring to metal overall, how could I?, without trad, glam and probably doom metal too, a lot of grunge would not have existed!  I meant the nu metal subgenre.
 Nu Metal clearly debased grunge by ripping out parts of grunge music for the benefit of creating an all encompassing, corporate subdivision of metal. Yet, all the while, the whole point of grunge was to lash out against the wannabe greed culture in the '80's and '90's, so it is a saddening thing for me to have witnessed its battered and bruised end; and yes, I know, Nirvana was HUGE, but let's face it, they weren't exactly trying to be, hence thier return to form with In Utero. As for 'the other big act', Pearl Jam, I find Vedder to be humble to the utmost when interviewed.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 3:11pm
Oh, sorry, I meant to write "Nu Metal", but I must have forgotten the "Nu" - my bad.

But I get your point about grange and nu metal.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 5:48pm
   ^
That's fine. I tend to defend grunge to the death. However that may be because I've been a complete Pearl Jam fanboy for about four years now! LOL
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 4:01am
How do you define Nu Metal - what bands are listed in the genre?

i personally have a problem with folk metal - what is that?

GLAM METAL!
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 4:19am
Na not really. It just mixed hip hop elements as well as pop (Linkin Park). 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic