Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Read Books

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 3:18pm

The third and final Bas-Lag novel. Solid but I thought it a step down from the first two. A bit too political for me. Even so, I wish he'd written more in this world. Unfortunately this came out in 2004, which means it's been almost two decades now, and in fact it's been over ten years since China Mieville published a full novel of any kind, and since 2016 anything that wasn't non-fiction, so it doesn't feel likely at this point. A shame, because he's quickly established himself as a favourite writer of mine, with genuinely inventive prose that brings his unique science-fantasy world to life. 

Fantasy meets crime. A new author to me; been interested in him and this series for a while now, but only managed to find a copy of this first book this week and it went straight to the front of my reading pile. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more from him.

This was also my 20th book of 2023, so my Goodreads reading challenge is off to a flying start. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 1:41pm
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 1:08am
Still reading this one and getting inspired to listen to early Swedish extreme metal demos:

https://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Death-Metal-Daniel-Ekeroth/dp/097961631X

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 11:13am
Went through this one really quick. A few slow chapters but otherwise a real page turner. Very twisted in more ways than one and really kept me guessing.

GG2U

Kilimmaic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilimmaic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Went through this one really quick. A few slow chapters but otherwise a real page turner. Very twisted in more ways than one and really kept me guessing.

Sounds interesting, I came across this book not the first time so it's time to read it I guess.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 12:25pm

Book 5, not fed up with them yet. Hasn't been an individual title I've really been floored by, but they're all solid mysterious with history/mythology twists.

Very solid sci-fi. I think he's the closest thing I have to a local sci-fi writer, so I'm probably overdue starting to read him. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 8:15am

Book 6. I actually have a US print of this one, but I prefer the UK covers. 

I think this one suffered a little from a disconnect between the archology and the crime elements, only tying up through coincidence in the end, but it's still a solid thriller and I continue to enjoy the characters and their ongoing story.

That was also book 25 for this year so far, half way to the 50 I challenged myself to read on Goodreads for this year already. 

Edited by adg211288 - 07 Apr 2023 at 8:16am
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 6:45am
Finished up Lord of Chaos, book #6 of The Wheel of Time series, early this morning. Now getting started on book #7, A Crown of Swords. This series just gets more and more interesting.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 2:25pm

This is short, just 128 pages and counted as a novella, though it's actually a few pages more than some of the earlier books in the series, which are counted as novels. Logic for you I guess. Anyway, I read a bit yesterday after finishing the last book, then the rest today. While not as good as The Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed, this probably ranks third of the series so far for me. Like the aforementioned, it made me think. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 8:20am
I haven't posted here for about a month yet still reading a lot. Done all these books recently though not in this order:

Still enjoying this series as much for the characters as the individual crime plots. The Chalk Pit was one of the best so far. 

I wasn't completely sold on the first one as one of the best written books I've ever read, but I think he improved a lot in the follow-ups. A solid series overlook set in a post-apocalyptic Europe. 

I have only read a stand-alone Reynolds before called Century Rain, but this was the better book. Very much hard-SF so not exactly light reading, but I loved it. I expect the Mass Effect games were influenced by this. I have the next books waiting to read but going to read another Elly Griffiths now and return to this universe at a later date. The next book is a stand-alone anyway instead of part of the trilogy and I want to read them in publication order. I expect I'll try to eventually read Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap back to back though as I think I read somewhere that the latter more directly follows on from the former. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 2:28am

Two more of these. Only got a few to go.

My least favourite Mieville so far, but still good. Crazy book actually. 

One of those 'what if' stories about the Nazi's winning WWII, except this was written in 1935, before the war even started. Less alternate history in its contemporary context and more dire warning. An interesting read.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 3:56pm

This author continues to impress. This wasn't among the books of his I was most interested in reading, but it turns out it was a 5 star read for me. 

I also got caught up with the rest of this series, so I'm ready to read the new one when I find a copy (which is also the final one):

The last one of these was set during the original Covid lockdown. Brought back a lot of memories some of which hit really hard. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 7:01am

Second book of this sequence. I have the remaining three + prequel lined up, but as it's a longer series I'm varying authors bit.

I have seen the 1941 film multiple times. Turns out it's extremely faithful to the book: a few things in here that wouldn't have got past the censors in those days, though the book itself is pretty tame by modern standards. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 12:07pm
Great trilogy:

Fantasy, but set in a gunpowder age with muskets and flintlocks. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 6:19am

I read the first one a while back since I was missing the next book of her Ruth Galloway novels at the time. I wasn't so fussed by the first one of this series as I figured out whodunit well early, but these ones were better and not so obvious (to me). 

This was the second novel of the Revelation Space universe although it's not a sequel to the first one (those come next). Just a stand-alone in the same universe. I sort of saw the twist coming because things weren't adding up early on, but I really enjoyed this one.

My 50th book of 2023, completing my Goodreads challenge already. I didn't enjoy this as much as her other books I've read - it's a horror novel rather than a crime novel - but it was quite solid. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 2:36am
I haven't kept up to date posting here but here's my last 10:

All but one were new authors to me this time around. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 6:05am

Brutal but mixed with dark humour. A brilliant page-turner but it ends up on a right cliff-hanger. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 4:31am
Still on The Wheel of Time series, currently on book #9, Winter's Heart. Just a few more books and I will have finished it. Great series so far! I know I've said it before but I just can't stress enough how good it is.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 4:38am
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Still on The Wheel of Time series, currently on book #9, Winter's Heart. Just a few more books and I will have finished it. Great series so far! I know I've said it before but I just can't stress enough how good it is.

I read the shorter prequel book New Spring many years ago not realising it should perhaps be read later. I feel I was a bit young for the book at the time but am actively planning to tackle this series soon. I recently managed to complete my set of them after years of looking for a second hand copy of the one missing title (I rarely buy new books). I doubt I'd read them all one after the other but I am planning to make a start on this soon now. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 10:03am
^Nice, glad to hear it!Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic