Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Read Books

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sisslith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 2:48am
The Baztan Trilogy by Dolores Redondo. Pretty good novels...
Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:17am
Been doing more reading lately. These are all books I've read this year:

Richard Morgan - Altered Carbon
Peter F. Hamilton - Salvation
Gillian Flynn - Gone Girl
Gillian Flynn - Sharp Objects
Stieg Larsson - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Played With Fire
Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
James S. A. Corey - Tiamat's Wrath
David Lagercrantz - The Girl in the Spider's Web
David Lagercrantz - The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye
Richard Morgan - Broken Angels
Erik Axl Sund - The Crow Girl
Jo Nesbo - The Bat
Mons Kallentoft - Midwinter Sacrifice
David Lagercrantz - The Girl Who Lived Twice

Currently reading Richard Morgan - Woken Furies. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 1:46am
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order (Dark Tide I: Onslaught)

This book was like a crescendo, a bit of a slow start, then the characters and interactions started to get engaging, and towards the end some great vivid action. I'm glad I already have Dark Tide II sitting in my shelf, so no need to wait for the next part.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 2:26am
Read since my last post:

Jo Nesbo - Cockroaches
Ragnar Jonasson - Snowblind
Anne Holt - Blind Goddess
Anne Holt - Blessed Are Those Who Thirst
Robin Hobb - The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince
Samuel Bjork - I'm Travelling Alone
Mons Kallentoft - Summertime Death
Jo Nesbo - The Redbreast
Jo Nesbo - Nemesis
Jo Nesbo - The Devil's Star
Brandon Sanderson - The Final Empire

Current: Brandon Sanderson - The Well of Ascension
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 3:18pm
This year's list:

Ben Elton - Identity Crisis
Stephen Fry - Heroes
Alan Dean Foster - Splinter of the Mind's Eye (we're so lucky that Star Wars was a success and this was never made into a movie!)
Robert Harris - The Second Sleep
Poul Anderson - Trader to the Stars (I'm trying to read old shorter SF books in between bigger, newer books)
Tom Scott - Drawn Out (autobiography of a well-known Kiwi political cartoonist/writer/commentator and screenwriter. One former Prime Minister had a personal, and very public vendetta against him!)

Currently reading Fall, or Dodge in Hell by Neal Stephenson. It's the further adventures of videogame billionaire Richard "Dodge/Egdod" Forthrast, first introduced in the book Reamde.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 2:15pm
Got about 100 pages to go of Sanderson's The Hero of Ages, the last book of the original Mistborn trilogy. Unfortunately book 4 hasn't arrived and unless it does tomorrow I'll be reading something as a tide over. I have most of the other Cosmere books by Sanderson now but my plan was to finish all the Mistborn then author (and maybe genre) swap for a while then read the one off's and The Stormlight Archive novels one at a time between other authors. I have a couple of shorter Nordic Noir that would fill a gap nicely, although I do still have the latest from my favourite sci-fi author Peter F. Hamilton to read although I've been a little hesitate on that one after the first book of his current series ended up being a surprising slog to get through. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 3:10pm
I have gotten bogged reading Peter F Hamilton books a couple of times. I've resorted to audiobook versions to finish them. He seems to go through slow bits in the pacing of his books sometimes, and they can be a drag to get through. I started Pandora Star a few months back, but got bored with it. I'll go back to it some time.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 4:36pm
I never found that with the majority of his work. I was reading thick tomes like the Nights Dawn Trilogy in about a week apiece. And I love the Commonwealth Universe series which includes Pandora's Star. I've read those once and listened to several of them on audiobook twice since. 

The only novels of his I struggled with were Fallen Dragon, a standalone I can remember nothing about and Salvation, which I found a slog. I hope the second one improves that series because I really didn't find it on par with his earlier work. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 12:13pm
Just read Brandon Sanderson's Elantris in a matter of days. Wonderful book. Not sure what I'm picking up next. It's tempting to jump straight into another Sanderson (either Warbreaker or The Way of Kings since I've done all the published Mistborn's since my last post here) but I had decided to flit between authors to keep things fresh. Might be time to go back Jo Nesbo and get in the next Harry Hole book. Or flit back to sci-fi - still not read that Hamilton - tempted to just wait until the third one is out now - or try a new author entirely. I'm not short of books to choose from. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 5:38am
Ended up reading the next two Mons Kallentoft books. Got through those quickly. I'm now back on the Sanderson, with Warbreaker. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 3:59am
Just finished Sanderson's Words of Radiance, second book of The Stormlight Archive. Going to take a break now from the main novels and get the short stories read, before tackling Oathbringer. I'll then be all caught up for the release of Rhythm of War in November. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 12:38pm
I'm currently reading one of my Grandfather's old books about the 1959 Lions rugby tour to Australia and New Zealand. It's a fascinating look back at social and sporting history from 60 years ago. This was before TV came to New Zealand (that didn't happen until 1960, and that was only regional), and if you weren't at the games, there were short newsreels, or books like this, and that was about it. 

I know New Zealand is a bit of an international backwater still, but it must have been a huge culture shock for the Lions to come here. A lot of these players were Oxbridge scholars, although there were a few miners and farmers in the mix too, and they were all amateur!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 7:35am
Well as of yesterday I've finished Sanderson's Cosmere novels, until the next one comes out in November at least. Best fantasy work I've read for a long time. 

I've picked up Artemis by Andy Weir to read next. Never read The Martian, though I liked the film. This second novel of his always sounded more interest to me though, it's basically a crime novel set on the moon. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 3:34pm
Currently reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. I'm enjoying it, but it's written in a 200 year old style (think Bronte or Austin) which takes a little unraveling at times. I haven't seen the TV show, but think I'll leave that til after I've finished the book.

Just started listening to The Witcher audiobooks. Loved the TV series. I know the books are a bit different, but it's a brilliant story so far.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 9:02am
The Witcher books are good. Read them all except for Season of Storms, which was written later. I think the TV show did a good job with the material, but did perhaps suffer with the critics because they were adapting the short stories first (which is the right thing) which didn't help how the first season flowed from episode to episode. Season 2, whenever they can safely make a season 2, should work better on that front. 

As for me I already finished Artemis by Andy Weir (very easy reading and not many pages). I've now started the next Mons Kallentoft. I was thinking of going back to Jo Nesbo but I lent my Dad the next Harry Hole I need to read and despite my reading Sanderson's 1200+ page Oathbringer in all that time (plus Artemis) he's still not finished it. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 2:03am
Stealing Mona Lisa, excellent historical fiction based around the theft of the famous painting in the early 1900's. Suspenseful and with well written characters.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:18am
Just started the new Brandon Sanderson Rhythm of War yesterday. First time I can remember starting a book on the day it was released since perhaps the Harry Potter's as a kid. That fell right with finishing another book for once. 

Between this and my last post here I've read two more Mons Kallentoft's, two Jo Nesbo, two Gary Gibson and The Ice Lands by Steinar Bragi, which I did not rate. In total eight books since finishing the last Sanderson Oathbringer. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:28pm
^I've started that one too, though I'm currently looking up plot summaries of Oathbringer, because it's been three years since I read that one, so while I've been able to follow the first 100 pages or so well enough, I'm constantly seeing names I don't remember, and so I'm trying to refresh myself on it at least a bit.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 18 Nov 2020 at 9:28pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 2:04am
I've binged all of Sanderson's Cosmere since lockdown originally started in the UK, so it's all still quite fresh for me. The Coppermind Wiki is really helpful though for checking back on details and I also read the summary for Dawnshard on there since I don't have it and it keeps getting referenced in RoW. I don't suppose I'll get to actually read it until such time that there's a ton of Cosmere short fiction around again and Brandon puts out an Arcanum Unbounded II. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 5:44am
Finished Rhythm of War this morning. Won't post any spoilers here, but this felt like a game changing book in the series. It's going to be a hard wait until Book 5 (though we may get the next Mistborn between then which I'm also eager for). 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic