MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Read Books

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 7:27pm
reading this for school

Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 12:20pm
^ some things never change as I had to read this for school in the early 70's LOL
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 8:06am
school systems must really like that book
FallingxSkies View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FallingxSkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 6:45am
Had to read From Potter's Field for school :P was almost like a Criminal Minds episode or something
File:Patricia Cornwell - From Potters Field.jpg
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 8:29am
I finished this little short stories collection a couple of days ago:

I'm now a couple of chapters into this:

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Final part of the trilogy. Just about to start it. 

Have never read this trilogy. Let me know what you thought of it when you have completed this one. I liked the Greg Mandel books but believe The Night's Dawn trilogy are more of a 'space opera' in style. I like Iain M. Banks books in that style so is there any comparison?

Sorry, I missed your post before.

I haven't picked up the Greg Mandel series yet but yes these ones are indeed space opera. I find Hamilton's books draw from multiple genres though so there are other elements to be found here, but space opera at its heart for sure. I haven't read an Iain M. Banks yet I'm afraid to know if they're comparable. I'm can't recommend Hamilton enough though if you like sci-fi, both Nights Dawn and his Commonwealth novels are fantastic. I haven't actually touched the work of another author since I first started reading Hamilton some time before Xmas. 
GG2U

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Originally posted by buttsled buttsled wrote:

This is the first sci-fi I have read.
I like it.

I bought this when I bought For Us, The Living.  I might squeeze in Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles before I reach for this.

I'm now reading Stranger In A Strange Land as my lunch break novel.  I did end up reading The Martian Chronicles first, and really enjoyed it.

I also went to the library today and grabbed some non-fiction, Mustaine.

Edited by Stooge - 11 May 2013 at 1:38pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 11:55am
Been a while since I posted here. I finished Great North Road a little while back and have since read:

First non-Hamilton book I've read since before last Xmas. But back on his work now:

GG2U

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 3:52pm
Good transhuman sf, not as good as the hard sf classics by Stanisław Lem, but still very good.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 7:31am
A little update on some noteworthy books I've read recently:
Good Paul Auster book. The story is mostly set in 20s/30s in the US and it's something between magic realism, naturalism and bildungsroman. Unusual stuff, that's for sure.

A bit less of a detective fiction and more of a thriller this time. Still friggin awesome, though.

My first Murakami. Apparently it's the most abstract of his books. I wouldn't call that magic realism though. Very symbolic and eclectic literature, I'm looking forward to read more of him.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 7:50am
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

My first Murakami. Apparently it's the most abstract of his books. I wouldn't call that magic realism though. Very symbolic and eclectic literature, I'm looking forward to read more of him.
I have not read that one, but just finished this a few days ago:

That's the new one, Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and his years of pilgrimage, or something like that in English. I liked it, it was very realistic and direct, which wasn't really the case with 1Q84 and Kafka on the shore which I read a while back. I recommend those two very strongly, and this new one as well.

Edited by Pekka - 17 Sep 2014 at 7:52am
<- Click on this!
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 8:17am
^ it's nice how the cover corresponds with the title. I'll check that one out for sure.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 3:21pm
Latest two:

If we had a books section in the database this would actually be in it. The guy is a Finnish prog rock semi-legend/author/comic book artist, and this is basically an autobiographical novel about small town elementary school boys finding and getting hooked on Kiss and the whole 80s heavy metal scene. And about childhood in Finland, so it's easy for me to relate to lots of the stuff even though I did those things ten years later.

I'm an Agatha Christie fanatic, and while it's borderline criminal and definitely blasphemous to dig Hercule Poirot out of his grave where Dame Agatha so carefully laid him, this book was just too good to be angry at.
<- Click on this!
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 6:22pm
Been reading a book called The Telling Pool' recently, it's historical fiction taking place during the third crusade.

It's pretty interesting so far. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:01pm
I'm reading A Power Stronger Than Itself: The AACM and American Experimental Music

Neat history lesson for any jazz fans out there.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 5:24pm
I've been reading for mostly school lately but recently I've read plenty of books from a variety of genres ranging from History to Anthropology and Fantasy
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
ColdReverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColdReverie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 4:27am
Currently reading this for one of my lectures:

Next on my list is:

No matter how many times I read this, I can't get enough of it. I have to prepare a 5 minute presentation on it, but I don't even know where to start because there's so much I want to say. 

Edited by ColdReverie - 16 Jan 2015 at 4:28am
Valdis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 10:44am
I am reading this: All Things Are Lights by Robert J. Shea

Edited by Valdis - 16 Jan 2015 at 10:46am
Rely on nothing under heaven.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 11:13am
I'm currently trying to read this one, but other stuff keeps getting in the way:

The last book I read, I think, was this one:

PS: Linguistics is metal as fuck!
ColdReverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColdReverie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 12:56pm
My lexicology teacher just tried to convince me to do research in linguistics instead of literature because my exam went particularly well. As much as I disliked studying for all my linguistics lessons and as much as my heart is set on literature, I have to admit that doing actual research in the field must be fascinating.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic