Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Read Books

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 4:43am
I've just binge read the entire The Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy by Elizabeth Moon is just over two weeks:

Followed by a much quicker read of The Dogs of Riga by Henning Mankell.

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 6:36am
Read these four since my last post:

Quite satirical sci-fi. Very entertaining little read.

A great cyberpunk thriller. 

The first Nesbo I've read outside of the Harry Hole series. I prefer the series, but this was a solid, easy and quick read. 

This numbers among the best books I've ever read. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 1:55am
https://www.listchallenges.com/all-the-books-patrick-read-in-2022

Since I won't be finishing anything else tomorrow, here's all the books I've read for the year.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 2:17am
Just the Mistborn books. I have The Difference Engine on my reading stack though. I've also picked up the middle book of the trilogy that The Last Emperox belongs to but I haven't found 1 or 3 to read yet. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 2:57am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Just the Mistborn books. I have The Difference Engine on my reading stack though. I've also picked up the middle book of the trilogy that The Last Emperox belongs to but I haven't found 1 or 3 to read yet. 

The Interdependency trilogy (which includes The Last Emperox) is brilliant. The first book of the trilogy is the best, but it's worth seeing through to the end. If you go the audiobook route, they are read by Wil Wheaton, who does a great job of it.

I found The Difference Engine a little disappointing in the end. Some excellent ideas, as this was the book that pretty much launched steampunk as we know it today, but the story just didn't quite click.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 6:37am
I've read these two since I last posted here myself:

The first three (rather short) Hainish Cycle books in one volume. I guess you can mostly read this series in any order, but I'm going in publication. 

I enjoyed this one. An easy to read mystery. I mostly have read the so called Nordic Noirs in this genre, but this one is set in my own country, not quite my neck of the woods but relatively close as far as England goes. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 12:55pm
And here's my list of every book finished in 2022: https://www.listchallenges.com/every-book-adam-finished-reading-in-2022
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 5:41am

First book finished in 2023, though I'd read around half in the last couple of days of 2022. Excellent and dark thriller from Iceland. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 11:40am

One of the few sci-fi's I sometimes see on lists of classic novels. Not hard to see why. Actually feels more relevant today than it perhaps ever did consider how everyone seems to be obsessed with gender today. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 12:33pm

The 'sequel' to Perdido Street Station, which left me in awe last year. I say sequel in quotes because it's only loosely connected to that book, with a new cast of characters but the story does start as a result of that book's events. Anyway, this is overall the third China Mieville I've read and he's well on his way to being ranked among my favourite authors. He's probably there already actually. This trilogy is proving one of the most unusual fantasy settings I've read and he has a brilliantly descriptive way of writing that really brings his work to life. About 800 pages long this one; read it in a week. A real page turner. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 9:44am

I feel like these should have been one book rather than two given how much shorter they are against pretty much every other book he's written. I enjoyed the conclusion to the series though.

Pretty good and I didn't guess the killer until a couple of pages before the reveal. 

Dark indeed, especially the ending, which is completely unexpected (in a very depressing, deflating way). I have mixed feelings about this one. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 12:36pm

Fortunately I have this one in the original SF Masterworks print without this Godawful discolouration. Amazing book. Not necessarily the easiest reading but compelling and thought provoking. Should probably be recognised more often as an actual classic along with the prior book The Left Hand of Darkness. I'd call both essential reading. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:38am

Second one of these. Think I liked the first a little more but a solid follow-up. 

A right mindfuck of a book. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 1:46pm

Betters the first one I think. Went through this in a few days. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 2:32pm
I really need to finish up 'Lord of Chaos', book 6 of the Wheel of Time series. Been on it for months..Probably gonna squeeze in a few chapters tonight.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 8:45am

Satirical fantasy. A thoroughly entertaining little read. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 2:10am

Enjoyed the setting but found the actual book hard going, although I soldiered through it in a few days. I was left wondering what the point was supposed to be.

I wanted a easy, quick read after the last one. This was a good 1950s set mystery; a short easy page turner. My biggest issue with it is that I worked out whodunit well early, which I didn't in Griffiths' other books I've read from a different series. Not sure if it was that obvious or if it's because I've just watched a very similar reveal in Twin Peaks, which I'm currently watching for the first time.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 10:14am

Enjoyed the setting but found the actual book hard going, although I soldiered through it in a few days. I was left wondering what the point was supposed to be.

Yeah, I found it was an amazing setting with some great characters, who ended up doing nothing consequential.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Yeah, I found it was an amazing setting with some great characters, who ended up doing nothing consequential.

I don't think the structure helped it to be honest. It's basically just five long chapters and then a random assortment of stuff. The book just had me hooked on Sybil's story and then she's gone for most of the book and Mallory becomes the protagonist for most of it, but then he fucks off with the final part still to come as well. 

I've never read any other Bruce Sterling, but the William Gibson novel I've read, Neuromancer, was brilliant. I would recommend it over this one. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 3:32pm

Both solid. The latter has a very slight supernatural slant as well. 

Fantasy, but with a higher technology base than the usual medieval inspired setting. Great book but the ending was a bit too abrupt for me. I'm left hoping Tchaokovsky returns to this world one day, preferably with the same lead character. 

Probably the hardest going Tchaikovsky book I've read so far, which doesn't mean it's less of the brilliance I've come to expect from his books. This is often heralded as his masterpiece, and it probably is, considering I'm a massive Arachnophobe and this had me rooting for the fucking spiders... 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic