Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Read Books

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 1:04pm
Language is fascinating. When I was a student, I preferred the linguistics courses over the literature and history/society courses. I did not dislike those courses, I was just more interested in language... so much that I am now an Associate Professor of linguistics. My main areas are cognitive linguistics and corpus linguistics - and recently I am getting into stylistics and cognitive poetics - so I am more of a functionalist. I am actually not a big fan of Generative Grammar and all that Chomskian stuff.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I'm currently trying to read this one, but other stuff keeps getting in the way:

The last book I read, I think, was this one:

PS: Linguistics is metal as fuck!

Nice, I've always preferred cognitive linguistics to the generative mumbo-jumbo (Clown). French sociolinguistics (Paris school) occupy a big chunk of my masters thesis, too. I haven't read any of those, though. 

Originally posted by ColdReverie ColdReverie wrote:

My lexicology teacher just tried to convince me to do research in linguistics instead of literature because my exam went particularly well. As much as I disliked studying for all my linguistics lessons and as much as my heart is set on literature, I have to admit that doing actual research in the field must be fascinating.

Same here, although I'm a translator and my thesis is focused on translation so it's a sort of a compromise, I think ;)

Edited by bartosso - 16 Jan 2015 at 6:47pm
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 7:22pm
Well, if you guys are into language and literature, there's always stylistics. Being the linguistic study of literature, stylistics is the ultimate compromise ;-)

In fact, this is another book that I read last year:

And here is yet another one:

Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 12:57pm
I'm currently reading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 12:29am
Originally posted by Dobbie03 Dobbie03 wrote:

I'm currently reading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

Clap
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 9:56am
I read that one ages ago. It's, shall we say, epic.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 2:15pm

Trying to read Silmarillion reminded me why I couldn't get through the Bible... just kidding, although I really couldn't get through the Bible.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 8:16pm
I keep putting off finishing Dune. I used to be able to become so sucked into a book that you couldn't separate me from it. Now I read only in fits and have trouble finishing books. I think assigned reading actually killed my desire to read for pleasure.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Trying to read Silmarillion reminded me why I couldn't get through the Bible... just kidding, although I really couldn't get through the Bible.

I had more trouble reading LOTR to be honest.  So far it has been an enjoyable read.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Dobbie03 Dobbie03 wrote:

I had more trouble reading LOTR to be honest.  So far it has been an enjoyable read.

Well, it's been some time since my last try, maybe I should give Silmarillion another go some time soon Smile

Most books I've read recently are on translation studies, like this one

Also, I've finished the Milleniun Trilogy by Stieg Larsson - AWESOME genre-bending crime saga. 
ColdReverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColdReverie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 2:50pm

Well, if you guys are into language and literature, there's always stylistics. Being the linguistic study of literature, stylistics is the ultimate compromise ;-)

Thanks for reminding me this exists. When we covered stylistics and corpus linguistics in class, I remember thinking it might be interesting to use more of this in my future essays and whatnot.

On-topic:

I am currently reading this:

I also read the first novel in Scott Westerfeld's "Uglies" series, and felt any interesting social criticism was drowned by the moronic main character and the terrible, clichéd plot (with, once again, an effing love triangle, my favourite!).
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 3:48pm
I love Burgess, only have a couple of his books though
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by ColdReverie ColdReverie wrote:

Thanks for reminding me this exists. When we covered stylistics and corpus linguistics in class, I remember thinking it might be interesting to use more of this in my future essays and whatnot.

As it happens, corpus linguistics is my preferred empirical methodology. In fact, there's even something called corpus stylistics.

Here's a book I read last summer, since a Japanese colleague and I are doing research into constructions and register:

Most books I've read recently are on translation studies...

I assume you've read Vinay & Darbelnet, Newmark, Baker, Catford, Nida and all those grand old translation scholars? Although translation is not my area of reseach, I teach Translation Theory every year as well as some more basic translation courses.

Also, those of you with an academic interest in metal might be interested in the Metal Music Studies journal: http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view-Journal,id=236/ The inaugural issue is freely available to read. I've read a couple of articles in it so far. It's technically not a book, but still...

Edited by Time Signature - 24 Jan 2015 at 4:09pm
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 6:20pm
I am reading this at the moment hoping that it will be an honest read and write(. I am reading the long edition not the brief one LOL   Big smile

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 24 Jan 2015 at 6:21pm
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 12:11pm

Most books I've read recently are on translation studies...

I assume you've read Vinay & Darbelnet, Newmark, Baker, Catford, Nida and all those grand old translation scholars? Although translation is not my area of reseach, I teach Translation Theory every year as well as some more basic translation courses.

Well, yes, I know all these gentlemen although I'm not that well versed in Newmarks input, it just felt very basic and applicable only to pragmatic translation, so I skipped it. My attitude towards linguistics as the basis for translation studies is ambivalent, if I'm to be honest. But I'm not an expert, by any means, even though linguistics classes were forced upon us regardless of specialization. I'm specialized in french litterature and my masters is on literary translation (Quebec/litt. postmoderne etc) so... Btw, I need some native-french professor to take a look at my thesis cause my supervisor doesn't answer my emails Angry

Edited by bartosso - 25 Jan 2015 at 2:16pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 2:51pm
Newmark makes some good points, but I find his work a tad too basic at times and a tad too pretentious and unnecessarily complex at other times. As for linguistics and translation, it really depends on what type of linguistics they forced upon you - I mean Chomskyan linguistics is just useless bullshit in any type of applied linguistics (including translation). And, how annoying that the supervisor does not answer e-mails... hopefully he or she has not collapsed with a heart attack from stress or something :-/
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 12:13pm
^ I've submitted my thesis, now I have to defend it and it's over. I can leave the country. As for linguistics, I'm glad that we both agree about the Chomkskyan generative grammar Big smile I mean, if a linguistics expert like yourself feels this way about it, I feel my aversion is more than justified. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 12:16pm
Congratulations and best of luck. :-)
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 12:20pm
^ Thank you, Kim! By they way, if you need a french translation major from err... Poland... at your uni, let me know LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 3:23pm
Sadly, the assholes our government have decided that the humanities are useless and have implemented severe cutbacks on the humanities. As a result, many language-oriented degree programs are now threatened. :-(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic