Recently Read Books

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recently Read Books
    Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 2:45pm
That's probably only actually true of maybe half a dozen authors but yeah, when I like an author I do tend to stick with them although there's a few on there I've thrown the towel in over. Although I am hoping to get a few new authors in this year. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

And here's my list of all books read as of the end of 2023:

57/465

It looks like once you get onto an author you like you just keep going with everything they've written.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 9:42am
And here's my list of all books read as of the end of 2023:

GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Just put my book list up for 2023:

4/92
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 3:38am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 1:08am
I'll finish my first of the year today.

I set myself a target of 50 for 2023 and made 92, though some books were quite short or had large print.

I've set myself 60 for this year which may or may not be ambitious. It really depends on if this is the year I finally tackle The Wheel of Time, although I don't imagine reading those one book after the other. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 10:53pm
Got my challenge kicked off for the year. I finished one of the books I had on the go. I've decided I need to go to the library more this year, so I went and grabbed a handful of books today to get started on. I'm not back to work until Tuesday, so I've got a bit of time for some nice quiet reading.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 12:03am
I've only got one in common with you there, coincidentally also read this year: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2023 at 4:08pm
I've got two books on the go and I'm not going to get them finished before the end of the year, so here's a List Challenge of all the books I've read this year.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 2:47pm
Stormed through these two since my last post with the first one:

Real page turners, highly recommend fantasy using a modernised setting. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 2:31pm

Two novellas from the Revelation Space universe. Seem pretty self-contained with the second having a throwback to the first compared to what I've read from the main books so far.

The second Dresden File. I think I prefer the first one slightly. There are a lot of these and I'm not as enamoured with them as some series I've started, but I'll keep going as long as I can find them, whenever that may be by the right I actually find a copy of book 3. They're not a series I feel like I'm going to shop ebay for.

A prequel to some books I read a couple of years back. The trilogy was good but it's been a while and it took a bit of time to re-familiarise myself with the characters. 

Just started this trilogy. This is very different for fantasy because it's set in a more or less modern world, maybe on a technology level with around the 1970s-1980s I guess. The actual story is about two warring gangs. The author is of Asian heritage and was influenced by Hong Kong gangster movies and the Wuxia genre. First book was bloody brilliant and I already started the second one this morning. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 2:44pm
I haven't kept up with posting here again. Read all of these since my last post:

Great debut sci-fi novel. Looking forward to reading the sequel. 

Sequel to The Powder Mage Trilogy. I think I preferred the first trilogy but not by much. As far as I can tell the series he is writing now is nothing to do with these but I hope he is not done with this world. 

As far as I'm concerned they can't get this series translated to English fast enough. I will be pissed if they abandon it like they seem to be doing with so many other European series. Ouch

It wasn't as good as the first one but a worthy follow-up that's quite humorous in its way. 

I've had this series on standby for ages after reading the Lewis trilogy over a year ago and finally picked up the first book. Based on this I prefer the Lewis Trilogy, but this was solid and now I've started I'll be picking up the next one every so often between other books. 

This is only an about 200 page novella by him but it's pretty damn good. Apart from starting it last night I read most of it today in one sitting. It is dedicated to the memory of Gene Wolfe, but I think it also owes something to Ursula K. Le Guin's Hannish Cycle. It's sci-fi, but dressed up as fantasy. Tchaikovsky has a way of taking what is essentially a very basic, even cliché storyline and making it interesting with his shorter reads. Spiderlight, which is a bit longer, enough to be counted as a full novel, was much the same though more out and out parody of old tropes. 

This marks 83 books read this year for me. With only a little over a month to go it seems ambitious to try to make the hundred, but this is a record for me already. I challenged myself on Goodreads to do 50 in order to read more and clear some of the backlog. I'm kinda cheating now and only picking shorter books, but hey, it counts. Let's see if I can do it. 

Edited by adg211288 - 26 Nov 2023 at 2:47pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 5:14am

Pretty good psych thriller although it doesn't top the previous Lisa Jewell book I read: The Night She Disappeared. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 2:17pm

Solid Mieville book, though I find it hard to believe this is aimed at a younger audience. Okay so there's nothing too objectional in it in terms of actual content (it's basically a homage to Moby Dick) whereas there certainly is in some of his other books but the language level doesn't seem all that lower than his usual work. Mieville is an exceptionally gifted writer but this is sometimes his downfall: his books sometimes require the use of a dictionary to find out what the hell the random obscure word he's used actually means. I find his prose compelling and well crafted and would not say I've ever found any of his work hard-going, but I'm not sold on the idea that he can write for younger readers. 

The Millennium series is resurrected for a second time since the death of Stieg Larsson, now in the hands of Karin Smirnoff. Apparently she wrote a few other books before this but it looks like only one of those has made it to English. According to Goodreads tagging her prior books weren't in the crime/thriller/mystery genre so on paper she doesn't seem like an obvious choice to helm the series. I remember before I read the book that a bit of a deal was being made over Lisbeth Salander being written by a woman.

And what an absolutely fucking travesty of a book this turned out to be! It's like reading bad fan fiction. The entire plot is facilitated by the extraordinary coincidence that several key characters have all appeared in the same small Swedish town at the same time, completely independently of each other. Salander to look after a niece who has been invented for her, Blomkvist because his daughter now lives there and is getting married, Hans Faste one of the cops from the original trilogy is in charge up there now and even the motorcycle gang they had a run in with in the original trilogy is now operating there too. 

To top it all off, the characters are written like shadows of their former selves, especially the two series leads. 

And the book is also written to be far too meta for my taste, with Stieg Larsson being namedropped as an actual person in the universe he created, Lisbeth thinking of herself as 'the girl who played with fire' and it being commented on that she looks like Noomi Rapace (who played her in the Swedish film series). 

Worse book I've read all year. Smirnoff is lined up to write two more of these. I do not think I will be bothering. Many people may have spoke out against the David Lagercrantz trilogy existing but those were at least solid and lived up to Larsson's trilogy (although he film of the first one was shite and badly miscast all round). This just takes a shit on Larsson's legacy. 

It's been quite a while since I read the rest of this series. I actually read all five of them one after the other, they were that good. It would have been about February/March last year. I found them relatively recently considering book 5 was published in 2013. This one only came out this year, although it was first released in Swedish in 2021. It's the sixth and final volume of the series and also the longest. I've forgotten a number of things from the previous books by now, but it wasn't difficult to resume. I'd day the series goes out mostly on a high although I could have done with less flashback sequences. I found those dragged a bit. The resolution isn't completely satisfactory in terms of its own individual plot but it rounds out the stories of the main characters well. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2023 at 2:02am

13 books along and I'd say this is one of the best Harry Hole thrillers so far!

I read the first one about ten books back and just picked up the rest of the trilogy. Very good all round! It doesn't really end as such, leaving plenty of room for more stories (there are already two stand alone novels set in the same universe) to come. Recommended. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 2:51pm

This might be the fastest I ever read a book. Apart from about 30 pages read the night before, I read this entire book in one day. Granted that was only possible because it doesn't have a lot of words on each page (huge line spacing), but it was still around 370 pages in a day. I wanted to finish it fast so I could start a book I've rented from the library, but it turned into quite the genuine page turner. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 10:03am
^Nice, glad to hear it!Thumbs Up
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 4:38am
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Still on The Wheel of Time series, currently on book #9, Winter's Heart. Just a few more books and I will have finished it. Great series so far! I know I've said it before but I just can't stress enough how good it is.

I read the shorter prequel book New Spring many years ago not realising it should perhaps be read later. I feel I was a bit young for the book at the time but am actively planning to tackle this series soon. I recently managed to complete my set of them after years of looking for a second hand copy of the one missing title (I rarely buy new books). I doubt I'd read them all one after the other but I am planning to make a start on this soon now. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 4:31am
Still on The Wheel of Time series, currently on book #9, Winter's Heart. Just a few more books and I will have finished it. Great series so far! I know I've said it before but I just can't stress enough how good it is.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 6:05am

Brutal but mixed with dark humour. A brilliant page-turner but it ends up on a right cliff-hanger. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic