MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avant-Garde Metal Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 3:14am
Can Arcturus be considered Avant-Garde? I would think so. Worst comes to worst, just be apocryphal and call them "Carnival Metal". Smile

Maybe Abruptum? Although I guess you could call them more "Dark Ambiental", rather than Avant-Garde. Either way, they sound... strange. OK, but strange.

Edited by Ragnar - 30 Aug 2010 at 3:20am
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 3:27am
Originally posted by Ragnar Ragnar wrote:

Can Arcturus be considered Avant-Garde? I would think so. Worst comes to worst, just be apocryphal and call them "Carnival Metal". :)

Look at some of the past pages Wink many of us think so . . .
But listen to Unexpect, Stolen Babies, Diablo Swing Orchestra and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum,
not only a "Carnival" . . . but a damn freakshow! LOL (Mr. Bungle/Fantomas can be too).
. . . Yikes! that Abruptum is pretty scary, its like Doom Metal meets Death Metal/Grindcore with a
little Avant Garde for seasoning!

By the way ProgKidJoe, what Meshuggah albums did you listen to? Not that I'm here to change your
mind or anything, and not that they are Avant Garde (except Catch 33) . . . I seem to be repeating
myself here . . . I seem to be repeating myself here . . . I seem to be repeating myself here . . .

Can SOMEONE please add more "different" named Avant Garde Bands to check out please! LOL

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 02 Sep 2010 at 5:09am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 4:05am
I've only heard Catch 33 and the I EP; I definitely have to give them some more listens/time, although I found it to mostly just be samey sounding riffs repeated on every track
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 4:54am
Ahh okay Wink
Well look, the "embarressed smilie" means youre humble, thats cool Smile . . .

I think most here would agree (I said most -now) that "Destroy Erase Improve" may be the one to
help you understand them better, its their most progressive but still heavy as %^&$!
Their are more of Fredriks "Holdsworth influenced solos" too, but the thing is about Meshuggah
is its all 4/4 but its the weird stuff they do within those parameters, its meant to be "groovy" and
aggressive but its not your typical Death Metal or Thrash, its like the most complicated Metallica
or Pantera music, mesh them and then add its own style with a bit of Fusion.
Get that album and listen to it a few times on headphones . . . but its up to you if you'll like it Wink.

But you do like Special Defects so its a possibility you will like that album at-least (maybe their
1st Contradictions Collapse and 2nd None), but I think "I" is brilliant too Big smile.

Seeing your List of bands you like, I'm surprised youre not into them Thumbs Up.

Extra Note:  For you Special Defects: Sol Niger Within fans . . . NEW ALBUM being worked on! Shocked
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=936&PN=1

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 02 Sep 2010 at 5:03am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Can SOMEONE please add more "different" named Avant Garde Bands to check out please! LOL

Try some drone, like Sunn O))), it might not be technical or especailly eclectic. But it's easily one of the more interesting avant movements in my opinion. Avant-Metal is just something you have to try, you won't enjoy or understand it all, heck I don't. But some styles become rewarding if you let them be.

Also, I'd be lying if I said I found Meshuggah easy to listen to, but when I'm in the right mood, the technical aspects of their compositions makes a lot of sense to me.
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 8:39pm
I think avant metal might be my favorite metal genre.  I love metal that can get highly experimental without still losing it's identity as metal.

Of course motW is the best example of this.

EDIT: It's awesome to see Age of Silence get some recognition around here, they really are excellent, and the thematic material in that album is a very refreshing change of pace.

Edited by NecronCommander - 03 Sep 2010 at 8:43pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 1:54am
Meshuggah took me years to appreciate and I have been listening to them since the release of their debut album. It was actually not until I had seen them live in on the tour supporting Catch 33 that I was fully convinced. Since then I�ve been quite the fanboy.

About new avant garde names mentioned in the thread Lucas mentioned the Unexpect sounding Ebonylake a while back. If you haven�t checked them out yet I would certainly do so now.

Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Posted in the avant-garde recommendations thread :

EBONYLAKE : The music proposed is an original mixture of technical black-metal and avant-garde classical (with influences drawn from great contemporary classical composers like Penderecki or Prokofiev, as well as horror movie soundtracks).

The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 3:38am
Meshuggah is mood music for me. I cant just listen at any time, also I have to be sitting and really listening.
Like Meshuggah while driving, (is fun) but I dont really get the full scope of the music.
Great band though!

Becoming a big fan of motW
Need to try Kayo Dot

Also Sunn O)))
I get it
Though I cant say I enjoy it LOL
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 1:45am
Pyramids man...

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 2:15am
I forgot to mention Ephel Duath: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/ephel-duath.aspx.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 5:06am
Well hello again to the weird and wacky!

Forgive me that I sort-of "spam" Tongue . . .

In advertising the wonderful Internet Station of PrOgulus.com, I have been given "Keys to the Shop"
sort-of speak, to the YOUtube Channel called "ProgulusTV/Progulus4" that was put-up by a fellow
listener that goes by "Neoshredder" (who also has a site/Forum for Neo-Classical Metal and Guitar
oriented Shred called Neo Classical Metal.org) a couple of years ago.
So I have been having a blast putting up Prog Rock and Metal Vidz that correspond with the Bands
that are found at the Station.  I have also added "Themed" Playlists and one of them is for our truely
odd "Avant Garde" Big smile.

I have been discovering Bands left and right, and the best source for the Metal aspect of the AG are
these wonderful compilation Vids called "An Introdution to The Avant Garde Metal".  Their are 7
parts so far, and really cool stuff!  Also checkout the Bands I have found that are also at the Station.

The Direct Link to this Playlist is:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Progulus4#grid/user/CC3D71E6F62D855A

And PrOgulus4:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Progulus4?feature=mhum

Be sure to Thank "S0unDOfCha0S" at YOUtube for his knowledge of the Avant Garde bands, I'm
sure he'll appreciate it Clap.
http://www.youtube.com/user/S0unDOfCha0S

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 04 Oct 2010 at 12:29am

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 7:31am
Not familiar with Avant Garde metal tho Diablo Swing Orch was kinda freaky and interesting. Does Meshuggah fit the genre?
GLAM METAL!
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 7:57pm
Is the new Unexpect album as good as people have been saying?  I'm considering ordering it.

Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 7:58pm
motW is one of the greatest things to happen in music history.  
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 2:17am
Originally posted by E�rendil E�rendil wrote:

Is the new Unexpect album as good as people have been saying?  I'm considering ordering it.

I haven�t heard it yet. I�m hoping someone will send me a promoBig smile.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I haven�t heard it yet. I�m hoping someone will send me a promoBig smile.

The album came today, and it's pretty damn crazy.  I need some more listens though to make sense of it.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 1:29pm
The album can be listened in full here: http://unexpect.bandcamp.com/album/fables-of-the-sleepless-empire

And yeah it is THAT GOOD.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 8:29pm
Really enjOying what I hear!

"Unexpect" indeed Big smile.  Thanks for the link, I'll have to find it at my fave Store.

Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 4:29pm

You should very well order it; I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 9:07pm
I really should listen to that some time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic