MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avant-Garde Metal Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avant-Garde Metal Appreciation Thread
    Posted: 11 May 2010 at 3:18am
Welcome to the Avant-Garde Metal Appreciation thread, an area to discuss, deconstruct and generally over-analyse all your favourite avant-garde metal bands.

Big smile

lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 3:21am
Posted in the avant-garde recommendations thread :

EBONYLAKE : The music proposed is an original mixture of technical black-metal and avant-garde classical (with influences drawn from great contemporary classical composers like Penderecki or Prokofiev, as well as horror movie soundtracks).

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 4:04am
Is SHINING an avant band with metal content or is it a metal band with avantgarde approach? Their latest album (Blackjazz) sounds like Reign In Blood meets Mr. Bungle/Sleepytime Gorilla Museum  LOL
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 4:09am
I haven't heard it, although I intend to sit all the way through it.

From what I have heard from others it would be classified as avant, but be that metal-avant or avant-metal, I'm sure nobody really knows or cares.

Wink
angelmk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Is SHINING an avant band with metal content or is it a metal band with avantgarde approach? Their latest album (Blackjazz) sounds like Reign In Blood meets Mr. Bungle/Sleepytime Gorilla Museum  LOL
I started listening Blackjazz, i heard few songs, and stop listening to furter,  it melted my brain, so it's avant LOL  
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 12:50pm
In keep with what's on the site so far under avant-garde the things that interest me most a bands like Earth and Ved Buens Ende.

Over the years I've grown a heavy dislike towards many of the avant-metal groups like Mr Bungle and their ilk; genre mashing. If anyone followed the RIO/avant thread on PA in 'o6 they'd probably be aware of my thoughts on this style. Unfortunately I'm a little pressed at the moment to elucidate further.
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 3:31pm
^
Mr Bungle are fantastic, how is it possible to dislike their music ?
I understand that someone dislikes black metal bands gone atmospheric or jazzy but not Mr Bungle, they are a good deal of fun, versatility and originality.
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

^
Mr Bungle are fantastic, how is it possible to dislike their music ?
I understand that someone dislikes black metal bands gone atmospheric or jazzy but not Mr Bungle, they are a good deal of fun, versatility and originality.

I did have a hit with them many years gone by, but that interest was ephemeral. These days it sounds too rooted in its own hedonistic ways for it to be of much interest to me. I got the kick out of their music through a certain time in my life, then as tastes tend to, they diverted off into different areas; I guess I found their music 'disposable'.

Edited by Murphy - 13 May 2010 at 7:20pm
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 3:14pm
*bump*
FWIW, I've never had much interest in Mr. Bungle either. Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 6:42pm
I don't "like" Mr. Bungle either, but I can't not appreciate what they did. You know that quote "avantgarde music is not pleasant to hear, but somebody has to do it" (or something like that).

Can anyone recommend something similar to Unexpect?
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 6:46pm
I've never heard anything quite like Unexpect, they are insane. LOL
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:04am
I picked up a couple of friends in my car today and I had Bungle's "Carry Stress in the Jaw" playing during a particularly chaotic and very 'noise'-y section towards the end of the first half. They said it was just stupid and picked up my iPod to change it. This coming from a FNM guy who knew Patton was in it. He didn't even try to appreciate it...
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:29am

I don't "like" Mr. Bungle either, but I can't not appreciate what they did. You know that quote "avantgarde music is not pleasant to hear, but somebody has to do it" (or something like that).

Try Ebonylake if you can get a hold of their only album. I�m told it�s pretty rare: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/ebonylake.aspx?ac=ebon
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I've never heard anything quite like Unexpect, they are insane. LOL

Definitely, mind blowing band... I'm yet to acquire their first album, though.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

I picked up a couple of friends in my car today and I had Bungle's "Carry Stress in the Jaw" playing during a particularly chaotic and very 'noise'-y section towards the end of the first half. They said it was just stupid and picked up my iPod to change it. This coming from a FNM guy who knew Patton was in it. He didn't even try to appreciate it...
I love Faith No More.  I was extremely disappointed with Mr. Bungle and pretty much consider Fantomas to be the worst band/project ever.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 8:30pm
Fantomas is an acquired taste.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 4:37am

"Diablo Swing Orchestra" Big smile!
http://www.diabloswing.com/
Same exact humour and chops, takes weird turns and lots of fun!

I too am a Fan of Fantomas and Mr. Bungle, the weirder it gets the more I like it LOL.
(Hey, if Terry Bozzio can play Drums with them! . . .)

I've got a (ANOTHERTongue) List of Avant Garde stuff to put up soon Wink.

"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 6:43am
Thanks Antonio, I'll check both DSO and Fantomas! Thumbs Up
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 12:05am
Oh! and JUST remembered these guys, would be a Triple Threat for a Avant Garde Metal Fest:
"Stolen Babies"
http://www.stolenbabiestheband.com/

Unexpect, Diablo Swing Orchestra and Stolen Babies sure do love mixing Period Popular
Dance Music into their madness Shocked!

And I see mention of "Sleepytime Gorilla Museum", not only checkout their music but the
Beautiful Web-sites they come up with for each album! Clap Very clever!
http://www.sleepytimegorillamuseum.com/

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 11 Aug 2010 at 12:14am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:05pm
great avantgarde metal album: fredrik thordendal special defects - sol niger within ..it's a project of meshuggah's lead guitarist fredrik thordendal

also, for those who like mr bungle, you should try secret chiefs 3 (also with trey spruance):
Book M (2001)
Book of Horizons (2004)
Second Grand Constitution and Bylaws (2000)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic