MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avant-Garde Metal Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 10:47am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Ulver, Arcturus and Solefald are awesome! Thumbs Up

Heres a few of my faves:

Thought Industry.
Thought the 1st album is like a Tech-Thrash/Math/Prog Metal album with wild left turns, its
the 2nd album that goes totally Avant Garde.  The albums after that sadly start to lose all
metal aspects.  Oberland's brilliant Poetry turned into Metal madness are a great read and
often hillarious.  But its these 2 albums that were way ahead of their time and over the heads
of most . . . maybe still is. (111mzd!).

Confused Unfortunately no-one has put-up tracks from "Songs for Insects" but . . .
2nd Album gets more Avant Garde. "Mods Carve The Pig: Assassins, Toads and God's flesh".
"Date Rape Cookbook":

(Lyrics are also included under Vid at YOUtube).

ok, this song somehow reminded me of Comus - First Utterance at some point

anyway, sculptured sound interesting, thanks for sharing. will download them and start to listen to 'em more closely
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 4:21am
Sculptured are a great band, really good stuff. Anderson (and Walton I think) of Agalloch perform with them. You can hear that tone in their music. Good extended compositions, good feeling - a band to watch out for in the future.

Also, Meshuggah is avant in the mind-bending sense. I love them too, Haake is a damned genius.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:08pm
Ulver, Arcturus and Solefald are awesome! Thumbs Up

Heres a few of my faves:

Thought Industry.
Though the 1st album is like a Tech-Thrash/Math/Prog Metal album with wild left turns, its
the 2nd album that goes totally Avant Garde.  The albums after that sadly start to lose all
metal aspects.  Oberland's brilliant Poetry turned into Metal madness are a great read and
often hillarious.  But its these 2 albums that were way ahead of their time and over the heads
of most . . . maybe still is. (111mzd!).

Confused Unfortunately no-one has put-up tracks from "Songs for Insects" but . . .
2nd Album gets more Avant Garde. "Mods Carve The Pig: Assassins, Toads and God's flesh".
"Date Rape Cookbook":

(Lyrics are also included under Vid at YOUtube).

"Gelatin":

Sculptured
These guys are all over the place, at times sound like Ulver and Arcturus, and then . . .
something else, can be weird but really neet stuff, not afraid to use "Trumpets and Trombones"
either!
Their 1st "The Spear of the Lily is Aureoled" I have not heard till I put this up, but have read about
it since its release (Much like Opeth's 1st 3 albums, many people talking how different they were)
and now I understand why.
"Almond Beauty":

"Between Goldberg":

"Embodiement of the purest form of horror":

(fine tuning their sound and better engineering)

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 18 Sep 2010 at 6:19am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Ulfednar Ulfednar wrote:

I'm thinking maybe Ayreon, Ram-Zet or Solefald might fit in around here?

i consider ayreon to be more prog metal than avant-garde

as much as solefald, i think their first album might be considered avant-garde due to it's complex structure and systematic changes in style; i admit that after their first album, my interest in them ran short, so i can't make an opinion about what came after that
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Hmmm . . .

I'm a HUGE fan of Fredrik Thordendals Solo Album (he should make more!) but I wouldnt exactly call
it "Avant Garde" (imo), the only really thing that is "Weird" about it is the (Harsh)Vocals which may be
really irritating to some, but for me the music is just too brilliant.  I'd put it in the Tech-Thrash/Math Metal
territory (So I guess that means "Prog Metal" LOL).

The Bonus Track: "Missing Time" really shows his love of Guitarist "Allan Holdsworth" Big smile.

Actually . . .

I'd put Meshuggah's "Catch33" in the Avant Garde catagory for sure!(well . . . it pretty much is all
over the place as Metal goes):

Be prepared for your Brain to implode in the 7th demension . . .

well, special defects incorporates a lot of things from jazz, classical and opera, things based on the polirithmic layer. in comparison with meshuggah that only use polirithmia, i consider fredrik thordendal much more experimental, therefore putting him in "avant-garde"

ps: i preffer "chaosphere" or "nothing" from meshuggah; personally, i consider "catch33" a rather dull album

Edited by kogaionon - 18 Aug 2010 at 7:00pm
Ulfednar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulfednar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:35pm
I'm thinking maybe Ayreon, Ram-Zet or Solefald might fit in around here?

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:21pm
Hmmm . . .

I'm a HUGE fan of Fredrik Thordendals Solo Album (he should make more!) but I wouldnt exactly call
it "Avant Garde" (imo), the only really thing that is "Weird" about it is the (Harsh)Vocals which may be
really irritating to some, but for me the music is just too brilliant.  I'd put it in the Tech-Thrash/Math Metal
territory (So I guess that means "Prog Metal" LOL).

Here . . .
YOU decide Wink:

The Bonus Track: "Missing Time" really shows his love of Guitarist "Allan Holdsworth" Big smile.

Actually . . .

I'd put Meshuggah's "Catch33" in the Avant Garde catagory for sure!(well . . . it pretty much is all
over the place as Metal goes):

Be prepared for your Brain to implode in the 7th demension . . .

Extreee Note: When listening to above track, 1. Hopefully youre into the Avant Garde stuff. 2. be
patient, this album really had to grow on me, and I had to take it out of context of a typical
Meshuggah Album, this was very experimental for them.  The drums were actually "programmed"
by each member but all the sounds are sampled from Haak's Drum kit (Wacko), the above Track is
meant to be like a "Trip" . . . where that trip goes, is pretty scary Tongue.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 18 Aug 2010 at 7:10pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:05pm
great avantgarde metal album: fredrik thordendal special defects - sol niger within ..it's a project of meshuggah's lead guitarist fredrik thordendal

also, for those who like mr bungle, you should try secret chiefs 3 (also with trey spruance):
Book M (2001)
Book of Horizons (2004)
Second Grand Constitution and Bylaws (2000)
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 12:05am
Oh! and JUST remembered these guys, would be a Triple Threat for a Avant Garde Metal Fest:
"Stolen Babies"
http://www.stolenbabiestheband.com/

Unexpect, Diablo Swing Orchestra and Stolen Babies sure do love mixing Period Popular
Dance Music into their madness Shocked!

And I see mention of "Sleepytime Gorilla Museum", not only checkout their music but the
Beautiful Web-sites they come up with for each album! Clap Very clever!
http://www.sleepytimegorillamuseum.com/

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 11 Aug 2010 at 12:14am

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 6:43am
Thanks Antonio, I'll check both DSO and Fantomas! Thumbs Up
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 4:37am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Can anyone recommend something similar to Unexpect?

"Diablo Swing Orchestra" Big smile!
http://www.diabloswing.com/
Same exact humour and chops, takes weird turns and lots of fun!

I too am a Fan of Fantomas and Mr. Bungle, the weirder it gets the more I like it LOL.
(Hey, if Terry Bozzio can play Drums with them! . . .)

I've got a (ANOTHERTongue) List of Avant Garde stuff to put up soon Wink.

Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 8:30pm
Fantomas is an acquired taste.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

I picked up a couple of friends in my car today and I had Bungle's "Carry Stress in the Jaw" playing during a particularly chaotic and very 'noise'-y section towards the end of the first half. They said it was just stupid and picked up my iPod to change it. This coming from a FNM guy who knew Patton was in it. He didn't even try to appreciate it...
I love Faith No More.  I was extremely disappointed with Mr. Bungle and pretty much consider Fantomas to be the worst band/project ever.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I've never heard anything quite like Unexpect, they are insane. LOL

Definitely, mind blowing band... I'm yet to acquire their first album, though.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:29am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I don't "like" Mr. Bungle either, but I can't not appreciate what they did. You know that quote "avantgarde music is not pleasant to hear, but somebody has to do it" (or something like that).

Try Ebonylake if you can get a hold of their only album. I�m told it�s pretty rare: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/ebonylake.aspx?ac=ebon
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:04am
I picked up a couple of friends in my car today and I had Bungle's "Carry Stress in the Jaw" playing during a particularly chaotic and very 'noise'-y section towards the end of the first half. They said it was just stupid and picked up my iPod to change it. This coming from a FNM guy who knew Patton was in it. He didn't even try to appreciate it...
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 6:46pm
I've never heard anything quite like Unexpect, they are insane. LOL
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 6:42pm
I don't "like" Mr. Bungle either, but I can't not appreciate what they did. You know that quote "avantgarde music is not pleasant to hear, but somebody has to do it" (or something like that).

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 3:14pm
*bump*
FWIW, I've never had much interest in Mr. Bungle either. Embarrassed
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

^
Mr Bungle are fantastic, how is it possible to dislike their music ?
I understand that someone dislikes black metal bands gone atmospheric or jazzy but not Mr Bungle, they are a good deal of fun, versatility and originality.

I did have a hit with them many years gone by, but that interest was ephemeral. These days it sounds too rooted in its own hedonistic ways for it to be of much interest to me. I got the kick out of their music through a certain time in my life, then as tastes tend to, they diverted off into different areas; I guess I found their music 'disposable'.

Edited by Murphy - 13 May 2010 at 7:20pm
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic