MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which era of classic music influenced metal most?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which era of classic music influenced metal most?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which era of classic music influenced metal most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
6 [66.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which era of classic music influenced metal most?
    Posted: 09 May 2010 at 4:10pm
In your opinion obviously, and I will elaborate the question by saying "Which era of classical music influenced your favourite metal most?".

Go ahead

Baroque for me. Moreso Scarlatti - he pretty much created the riff in his harpsichord sonatas
Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 1:31am
Well I guess if I look through what I like and how directly it was really influenced by classical music, I guess I'd say post metal and its link to 20th century minimalism 
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 1:36am
20th Century music - specifically Holst's "The Planets" and Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana".

The "influences" of earlier periods tend to reside purely in the solos, and arrangements tend to get built underneath from the cycle of fifths and suchlike. Of course, bands have been deliberately trying to move away from this recently, with a lot of attention being paid to "old" modes and "jazz structures" - but it's still quite prevalaent.

I'm not convinced that Scarlatti created the riff, and I'm even less convinced that he influenced any metal musicians until maybe recently, when the fascination with really exploring composers actually kicked in (and this is only with a limited set of bands - most still go for the generic approach).

"The Planets", however, is a clear source of inspiration for Black Sabbath, and even clearer on Diamond Head, whose influence in turn is legendary.

"Carmina" hasn't really directly influenced anything in metal that I know of (unless you count Magma as metal), but it's hard not to hear it in much of the more "symphonic" black metal bands - and Ozzy always used it as his intro piece at gigs.

The other piece that influenced practically the whole of metal is Ron Grainer's theme tune to Doctor Who, as realised by Delia Derbyshire in 1963. Iron Maiden build a whole career on variations of that riff. Come to think of it, so did Sabbath - in fact, "Children of the Grave" is pretty much the Dr Who theme unmodified LOL
The Pessimist View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 10:50am
Dude, Scarlatti is totally metal. Check this out:

I could so imagine Necrophagist or Spawn of Possession playing that

bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 3:21pm
20st century for me, with a bit of late romanticism
earlier classical music has an obvious influence on melodic metal and stuff like Malmstein.

But my favourites uses tribal rhythms and chromatic riffing and evil tritones.
Yes Voivod and Enslaved are the metal Stravinsky Big smile
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 1:12am
^Ever heard The Butcher Shop Quartet's cover of "Rite of Spring"?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic