Dream Theater to release a new Album soon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater to release a new Album soon
    Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 5:21am
Looking forward to listening to their new album, hopefully Jordan will give the other members some space on this release (he knocked himself out on ADTOE)
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 4:39am
A Dramatic Turn of Events is excellent, which was a pleasant surprise after Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds.  Their best since Six Degrees (and just slightly better than Train of Thought) IMO.  

I'm excited for the new album.

Edited by E�rendil - 28 May 2013 at 5:28am
arcane-beautiful View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcane-beautiful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:57am
I recomend picking up the last album. It's a very weird return to form. More of a prog rock than a prog metal album. Still a good bit of metal on it
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:31am
I used to WORHSHIP Dream Theater from I&W up through SFAM. From there, they started getting repetitive, IMO. Still extremely impressive musicians, and a great singer, but I got to where I could tell what they were going to do as a song went along.

To this day, I have neither bought nor heard ADTOE. I keep meaning to pick it up, but just never do. The closest I came was recently I saw it at the used CD store, took the case to the counter to buy it, and they could not find the disc. :(
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcane-beautiful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 11:38am
true. its all down to opinion. and I wouldn't say Dream Theater where too much like Rush but they do have their moments. hopefully the new album is something a little bit different 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 10:48am
implying most of Dream Theater's discography doesn't just sound like a rip off of Rush, I thought that was why people listened to them

Jonas' comment is a pretty accurate description, depending on the styles of music you like.

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 04 Apr 2013 at 10:49am
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcane-beautiful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 9:02am
I really don't know why Black Clouds is such high praised. A Nightmare's only really great bit is the middle section, The Count Of Tuscany is only good at the start at the end, Wither's an alright ballad, A Rite Of Passage is one of the bands weakest songs, The Shattered Fortress is just alot of old ideas put into a new song and The Best Of Times just sounds like a ripp of off Rush
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 8:22am
Personally I find that most of their albums feature incredible tracks, some standard quality stuff and a couple of really saccarine ballads or power ballads. Some albums are more interesting than others. My personal favorites are Images & Words and Awake.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 7:47am
Originally posted by vmoore vmoore wrote:

do they have a bad album?

Not exactly, more like they have a lot of pretty unremarkable albums that are maybe worth hearing once.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 6:13pm
I'm very excited to hear this! I'll echo everyone else's sentiments, and say that I hope Mangini is involved more in the creative process this time around. Big smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
VargTheViking View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VargTheViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 4:53pm
I find Falling into Infinity to be one of Dream Theater's weaker albums. I adore Black Clouds and Silver Linings, one of their best albums in the later part of their career. I like A Dramatic Turn of Events although it didn't quite live up to my expectations because Black Clouds was so ace.

In regards to DT releasing a new album, I'm excited to hear it!

Edited by VargTheViking - 03 Apr 2013 at 4:54pm
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcane-beautiful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 4:09pm
well black clouds and silver linings is  bit of a mess. parts of it a great tho
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 4:01pm
do they have a bad album?
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Yeah but I�m sure you agree that it�s essential listening if you�re interested in progressive metal?Tongue

Of course, I not deny their merit!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 1:53pm
Yeah but I�m sure you agree that it�s essential listening if you�re interested in progressive metal?Tongue
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 1:31pm
^it's funny, I like them, but never was a huge fan.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 1:19pm
I�d recommend getting started listening to Dream Theater. They are like THE kings of the progressive metal genre. Start from an end an work yourself through the disco. I think that�s the best way to experience their massive discography.
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcane-beautiful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 12:02pm
yes. thats like being a fan of metal and never ever hearing of Metallica
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:44pm
does it seem weird that i like prog metal but never sat down and listened to dream theater?
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 7:28am
Looking forward to the new album and like you guys I hope Mangini gets more input this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic