MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting People Into Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaosAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting People Into Metal
    Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:15am
Say you wanted to get someone into metal.  How would you go about it?  Which albums would you expose them to, and in what vague order?

My initial thoughts (off the top of my head):

Appetite for Destruction
Number of the Beast
British Steel
We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll
Rising
Ace of Spades

I think that is a decent start (and only a start... heh heh) , but I'm interested in hearing what my peers here on MMA have to say.  How would you guys go about it?

Edited by ChaosAngel - 17 Jan 2013 at 6:17am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:44am
Depends on wether or not the person I would like to "get into metal" is a willing victim or someone already biased about metal. If we play with the idea that it�s someone genuinely interested in learning about metal I�d most definitely try and introduce them to "classic" albums in the various sub-genres. Depending on how well they can handle extreme metal I�d start with "classics" from the "softer" genres.

All of the albums you mention above are definitely what I�d call "Classics" and would make good introduktion albums to hard rock and heavy metal.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:52am
I�ve tried to inspire people in real life over the years to listen to all sorts of artists that I personally enjoyed, but what it boils down to is always personal taste. For instance I had a guitar student about 10 years back, who constantly tried to get me to listen to Creed and Disturbed which he felt were the world�s greatest bands, but almost imidiately it was clear to me that I was probably never going to like those two acts. So just don�t get disappointed if the person you are trying to "win over to the dark side"Headbanger doesn�t necessarily share your tastes.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 8:01am
I've never really made a huge effort to "convert" someone to be a metal fan, but it really depends upon the person's individual tastes rather than just throwing the so-called classic albums at them.  

If they are into prog rock like Yes or Rush, Fates Warning might be a good introduction for them.  Some sludge or post metal (Neurosis, Baroness, Mastodon, The Ocean) could appeal to them as well.  If they're a punk fan, crossover would be a logical bridge to thrash metal and perhaps eventually grindcore.  If they're into songs that are more radio-friendly, some alternative metal like Faith No More or Deftones gives them heavier listening options.  If they like music with a beat, I'd throw them Nine Inch Nails and (if that sticks) Godflesh.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 5:04pm
You might want to put Metallica in there, no?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 10:28pm
Tie them up and put on Boris' entire discography
renkls View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Tie them up and put on Boris' entire discography
Start with Absolutego, that'll make them love metal, no doubt.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 3:24pm
As a non joke answer, the best way is to get big compilations and let them find the bits they like. If it has everything like 'Ace Of Spades' and 'Back In Black'  etc on it, they might like at least one of them and just let it grow organically. 

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
ChaosAngel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaosAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 4:47am
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

You might want to put Metallica in there, no?

I'm thinking yeah, of course some Metallica, but the question is would I start them off with that.  Then again, I suppose Master of Puppets is a really good starting place (or, I suppose, the "Black Album", but nothing past that - and yes, I know I'm one of those guys, I can't help it, I'm sorry).

Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

As a non joke answer, the best way is to get big compilations and let them find the bits they like. If it has everything like 'Ace Of Spades' and 'Back In Black'  etc on it, they might like at least one of them and just let it grow organically. 

Or, and here's a radical idea, make compilations.  Yes!  I love it.  I'm thinking cherry pick some good starter tracks, and go from there.

And then start getting them to buy the albums.  Wondrous!

Also, is Keeper of the Seven Keys, Part II too much to start on?  It has gotten really hard to tell, as I'm really struggling to remember life before metal...
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 11:12pm
I think he meant the "black album" when he wrote Metallica in italics.

www.withinareverie.blogspot.com
soundcloud.com/withinareverie
facebook.com/withinareverie
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by ChaosAngel ChaosAngel wrote:

Also, is Keeper of the Seven Keys, Part II too much to start on?  It has gotten really hard to tell, as I'm really struggling to remember life before metal...

I think so. Its one of my favourites at the minute and I keep playing when my girlfriend and flatmate are around. They aren't having anything to do with it.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 2:37pm
I think it is quite difficult to get people into Metal as most are really prejudiced against it before they have even heard it. A comment I often get is 'are you not a bit old to be listened to "whatever t-shirt I happen to be wearing". I find that it is perceived as a genre you listen to when young but grow out of when you mature Smile Perhaps I have yet to 'grow up' Tongue

Best to start with Hard Rock such as AC/DC, Rainbow etc. and gradually introduce the heavier stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic