1 [1.89%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.89%]
1 [1.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Least favourite metal sub-genre
    Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 10:36pm
My vote goes to alternative-metal (Staind, Limp Bizkit, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Kittie, Disturbed, etc.). No offense to fans of the genre. Tongue

Runners-up: glam-metal and metalcore

A particular sub-genre will probably get hate-bombed when the alternative-metal fans see my signature. Ouch

Edited by cold103 - 29 Apr 2010 at 11:36pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 11:01pm
Not sure yet.  I'm tempted to say black metal.  There are a few bands in the genre I like, but most other bands I've seen in the genre seem a bit over the top.  Glam metal is a bit cheesy, though I can think of a few good bands.  Alternative metal and metalcore jump out as having many bands I dislike as well, but some I do like.

Thinking about it now, the genre I'll have the least regret singling out is glam metal, so that will get my vote.  Sorry glam metal team. Embarrassed

I did hear "Girls Girls Girls" on the radio today and enjoyed hearing it though.  Smile

So like I was saying, no genre is totally garbage.
Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 11:30pm
Glam.
It just seems about image first and the music is very much secondary to it by a long way
NJCat_11 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCat_11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by cold103 cold103 wrote:

My vote goes to alternative-metal (Staind, Limp Bizkit, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Kittie, Disturbed, etc.). No offense to fans of the genre. Tongue

I know exactly what you mean.

As for Glam, I can understand the general distaste of "image first" but the thing I love most about the sub-genre is that it is one of the only ones that my friends and I can listen to and all have a damn good time despite our different tastes in music.  Everyone knows the words because they are so cheezy and predictable, and that's the best part.

Edited by NJCat_11 - 29 Apr 2010 at 11:48pm
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 12:24am
Glam. I hate many bands of the sub genre. I actually like alt metal (except bands like Linking Park, very pop oriented). 
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 12:33am
I'm not voting and definitely not saying worst because I've got absolutely nothing against them, but I don't think I have any Power or Industrial metal albums in my collection.

By the way, according to our site half of the bands mentioned in the first post are not Alt Metal.
<- Click on this!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 12:48am
Most goth ( not all) put me off. Angst filled teenagers, whitechalked and with too much makeup. Maybe I�m too old?LOL ( you know Paradise Lost didn�t use to wear makeupConfused). The music tends to be very generic too. There are some genre defining and excellent acts in the genre though.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 1:08am
The trinity of crap metal: Nu metal, glam metal, and metalcore. Didn't vote alt metal because despite it containing the nu metal bands there are plenty of alt bands with merit. Glam can be fun I guess, though still is one of the worst money-mongering trends ever. Voted metalcore: whiney generic pseudo-heavy crap.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 3:08am
When it comes to metal, I'm such an elitist b*****d that one specific sub-genre (guess what) is clearly and easily the best. Not that there wouldn't be some great albums in death and doom metal, and also prog metal. And if bands like A Perfect Circle are considered alt metal, then that too.

That's why it's hard to choose the worst, because I seriously don't have much to say about most of those genres listed. Possibly metalcore, or if nu metal bands are considered as alt metal, then that too.

And to avoid misunderstandings, I love other kind of music, just not from metal. Ambient, noise, some rock, and stuff like that is often on the level of my favourite metal sub-genre.
Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 3:25am
Interesting how I'm on the metalcore team but I'm not even offended yet lol.
There is A LOT of metalcore I honestly don't like, but I can say the same for thrash metal, black metal, traditional metal, progressive metal and so on.
Looking through my iTunes list, I honestly have more metalcore than I do thrash metal, which is particularly interesting because thrash metal was my first true love as far as extreme metal genres go, but I've largely gotten bored of it now because of bands like Trivium doing their boring as shit "retro thrash" thing.
There's plenty of good metalcore bands, but like any genre you need to dig deep.
You can't just listen to the generic crap like Bullet For My Valentine  and say "OH MAN ALL METALCORE IS CRAP", because there is plenty of stuff that rises.
While not everyone is going to be a fan, I think it's hard to deny band from the metalcore genre like Periphery, The Dillinger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me (although to me, BTBAM is 25 per cent metalcore, 25 per cent death metal, 25 per cent prog rock and 25 per cent prog metal, but for the sake of it lets call them metalcore because the band members obviously fit into that aesthetic) are extremely creative bands that have pushed the boundaries and have even gone on to influence the non-core genres of metal
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 4:16am
Yeah, it's hard to diss an entire genre, but if I had to choose one, and my life was at stake, it would probably be glam metal, because of its focus on image over music. That being said, there are plenty of songs and albums within the genre that I really like to listen to.

Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 4:46am
I won't vote anything because I believe there's no such thing called worst genre
any genre should have its best performers and also bad one, no matter what it is, from rock, blues, pop, dance, R&B, jazz, folk, etc

therefore no such thing called a perfect genre that's truly exist,
the one thing that exist is a genre that we like or worship and that's all :)

Edited by Stephen - 30 Apr 2010 at 4:48am
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 6:25am
Originally posted by Stephen Stephen wrote:

I won't vote anything because I believe there's no such thing called worst genre
any genre should have its best performers and also bad one, no matter what it is, from rock, blues, pop, dance, R&B, jazz, folk, etc

Good point.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 7:03am
Yeah you�re ever the diplomate Stephen ( unless it�s about a certain Glam act that you recently gave a 1 star rating to that isWink), I guess most of us could learn a thing or two there.Clap
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 8:26am

I probably have the most nasty glam reviews on this site at this point, but I grew up with that music and some of it is really good. If someone can't enjoy putting on the first couple songs of Girls Girls Girls on a summer ride with the top down or at the beach or whatever, well...lighten up.

Metalcore was my choice, because it frustrates me so much. I hate metalcore vocals, but I love the energy and bands like BTBAM are clearly doing some great things. "Feed me Fear" is friggin brilliant stuff but metalcore is like the volume wars to me...the continuous blast beats with the continous harsh vocals are like listening to music with no dynamics...

Enough of that. For the most part there are good and bad bands in every genre.
We're gonna do a little number featuring Randy Rhoads...

Wine is fine but whisky's quicker.

That's what Rock n' Roll's About!!!!
DeathOfSeasons View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 6:09pm
It was tought choosing between Glam and Alternative/Nu Metal but I went with the former seeing as there's two Alt Metal bands I like (Faith No More and System of a Down) where as I haven't heard a single Glam Metal band I like.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 9:40am
Grindcore for me, it's a combination of all of my least favourite metal sub-genres and is thus insufferable to my troubled and writhing earholes. I'm too traditionalist for a lot of the extreme genres. Thrash is the exception to the rule which I love and enjoy very often. But the majority of death metal and all that followed it, is just too much for an 'old school' denim and pint headbanger like myself. LOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 1:46pm
I was tempted to vote for Glam Metal, which I loathe as a genre - even if that includes some controversial bands, such as Alice Cooper and even Kiss >>> for me Glam metal is an 80's thing, not 70's, but I understand they are included).... but I must that the music is not the un-listenable form of metal (except bon anJovWinki)
Some of these extreme form of metal music are much harder on my eardrums.

I went for either industrial or Grindcore (I already forgot)EmbarrassedLOL
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 5:48pm
I dislike most Alternative Metal...

I dislike a lot of Glam Metal, but the genre has a few fantastic bands...

And I can't stand most grindcore. Just noisy 30-second songs with no musical value IMO. There are a few exceptions, but I generally dislike this genre.

I voted grindcore.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 3:30am
Glam, but anything 'glam' annoys me to be honest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic