0 [0.00%]
1 [1.89%]
1 [1.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 3:31pm
Whitedragon, I sincerely hope you are joking about glam rock musicians being "better" than extreme metal musicians. Confused

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you, but that post is fairly ignorant and you haven't clarified what you mean by "better musicians". Do you mean in terms of technicality? Emotion? Image/Attitude?
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 6:04pm
J-Man, a lot of the fastest shredders around came from glam bands.  That doesn't mean they're better musicians, just that they w**k more

My least favourite must be metalcore
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

J-Man, a lot of the fastest shredders around came from glam bands.  That doesn't mean they're better musicians, just that they w**k more

My least favourite must be metalcore

I'm not saying that extreme metal musicians or glam metal musicians are superior... the only intent was to point out that white dragon's post was a bit unfair. Saying that "glam musicians are better than extreme metal musicians" is a pretty ignorant response. It's a case-by-case basis. Smile
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:06pm
I cannot stand Industrial Metal. Even black metal and those horrid vocals are better than industrial metal.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:08pm
^ Not my favorite either, but eventually you get to somewhat like the lyrics, though I still have trouble listening to them.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:36pm
A friend tried getting me into Bile once. It didn't go over to well.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:39pm
LOL

whitedragon1969 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitedragon1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:16pm
My friend J-Man when I'm talking about "exteme" and "heavy" guys I'm talking about all these low technic bands who produse noise because of the low level of their technical skills. Never had a dillema between technique and emotion because if you really want to "take out" what's inside your mind you MUST have a good level of technical skills. In simple words you must know how to play your instrument. And yes many times I'm very tired of all these "extreme' bands with the three chord songs who finally put some acoustic parts at their fourth album and call it "music progress". I'm not a mucisian - my brother is - but I heard a lot of "guitarists" who don't like the "cold with out feeling" kind of playing of Malmsteen or Randy Rhoads and - guess what my friend - most of them they didn't know how to play properly a simple version of "Smoke On The Water" a three chord song... Anyway I think that some people at the sub-genre of Glam Metal they found the "easy target' to burry some very good Hard Rock bands including my self when I was many years younger. It's very easy to critisize the "light" sound of Faster Pussycat for example and the "girl like" look they have but what about fake blood at Slayer's photos from their first album? Who is the "poser"? Notice that personally I like both of these two bands...
If you close the light every woman looks the same (Ancient Greek tale by Diogenis)
Very democratic...
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:25pm
Dave Lombardo is the man though. He rips on the skins, and Kerry King is an amazing and inventive guitarist..... while Faster Pussycat... doesn't have that skill. at all.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by whitedragon1969 whitedragon1969 wrote:

My friend J-Man when I'm talking about "exteme" and "heavy" guys I'm talking about all these low technic bands who produse noise because of the low level of their technical skills. Never had a dillema between technique and emotion because if you really want to "take out" what's inside your mind you MUST have a good level of technical skills. In simple words you must know how to play your instrument. And yes many times I'm very tired of all these "extreme' bands with the three chord songs who finally put some acoustic parts at their fourth album and call it "music progress". I'm not a mucisian - my brother is - but I heard a lot of "guitarists" who don't like the "cold with out feeling" kind of playing of Malmsteen or Randy Rhoads and - guess what my friend - most of them they didn't know how to play properly a simple version of "Smoke On The Water" a three chord song... Anyway I think that some people at the sub-genre of Glam Metal they found the "easy target' to burry some very good Hard Rock bands including my self when I was many years younger. It's very easy to critisize the "light" sound of Faster Pussycat for example and the "girl like" look they have but what about fake blood at Slayer's photos from their first album? Who is the "poser"? Notice that personally I like both of these two bands...

Honestly I don't care to get involved in an argument about whether or not glam metal musicians are more talented than extreme metal musicians. My intention was actually the contrary. I wanted to point out that this: "And by the way the members of these band many times are much better musicians than many "extreme" and "heavy" guys..." isn't a fair response. Neither are your constant stereotypes in your most recent reply.

It's a case-by-case basis. The definition of a "better musician" varies from person to person, and saying that most glam bands have better musicians than extreme metal musicians is just plain ignorant. Keep in mind that in many cases I agree with you. Wink
whitedragon1969 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitedragon1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 9:20pm
J-Man all I wanted to say was this: Some people NOT ALL when they talking about Glam Metal mysteriously focusing at the image ONLY. But anyone can understand this: At the end of day the only thing that matters is how many good songs you're left behind. And the Glam Metal bands have a lot of good songs. And I insist that Glam Metal is the "easy target" for many people. Talking tomorrow because in Greece is 5.20 AM and I need some sleep! I will explain my opinion much better tomorrow.
If you close the light every woman looks the same (Ancient Greek tale by Diogenis)
Very democratic...
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by whitedragon1969 whitedragon1969 wrote:

J-Man all I wanted to say was this: Some people NOT ALL when they talking about Glam Metal mysteriously focusing at the image ONLY. But anyone can understand this: At the end of day the only thing that matters is how many good songs you're left behind. And the Glam Metal bands have a lot of good songs. And I insist that Glam Metal is the "easy target" for many people. Talking tomorrow because in Greece is 5.20 AM and I need some sleep! I will explain my opinion much better tomorrow.

OK - that makes more sense. Smile

Your argument changed a bit here... originally you said that most glam bands have better musicians than extreme metal bands (which is, like I said earlier, a bit benighted). Your new point is pretty unarguable (at least for me). Glam bands are an easy target for many people due to their "popstar" imagery and lyrics.

Then again, who can deny similarities like this:

LOL
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 7:08pm
maybe, but one of those pictures appears to be decidedly less heterosexual
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 7:39pm
You gotta give Gene Simmons credit for being awesome, even if you don't like Kiss LOL
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

maybe, but one of those pictures appears to be decidedly less heterosexual

LOLClap Fantastic post! LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 9:08pm
ABBATH Headbanger
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 4:46pm
glam, never liked it..

The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 5:59pm
I never really liked avant-garde metal. I like some of FZ avant-garde stuff, but the two don't mix well.

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 10:08am
Of course glam metal!!!
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 11:00am
Black Metal, Sludge/Post-Metal.

Really not my cup of tea. I like a handful of grindcore, gothic and symphonic metal bands but I'm not crazy about those either...

I'm going to check out what avant-garde metal is, I have an instinctive disliking for the label :P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic