MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Larks Tongues In Aspic proto metal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larks Tongues In Aspic proto metal?
    Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 2:43pm
I just listened to a piece of the  "Larks Tongues In Aspic" song (part 1) , and I thought that some of the heavier parts could also be classified as a sort of proto metal, or at least proto prog metal. Don't you think?
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 2:57pm
Crimson contributed to metal in a distant way. While what you say is true, I don't think adding KC to this site is good for MMA.
We're gonna do a little number featuring Randy Rhoads...

Wine is fine but whisky's quicker.

That's what Rock n' Roll's About!!!!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Crimson contributed to metal in a distant way. While what you say is true, I don't think adding KC to this site is good for MMA.

My thoughts exactly.  Perhaps once the site is established, some of their albums could qualify for inclusion in proto-metal (Wetton-era KC definitely has a case).  There are plenty of other acts to discuss for now.

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 6:19pm
Please, guys, remember this:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=418

Unfortunately, as most of us have learned on PA, many music fans - proggers and metalheads alike - tend to be very close-minded, and react badly to anything they consider outside the boundaries of their favourite genres. Personally, I agree with Nick about the heaviness of Larks', and especially of Red, but my own personal opinion does not count anything if compared to the good of the site.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 6:21pm
LTIA pt 1 is in my opinion one of the heaviest songs I've ever heard, especially coming from the seventies. Pt 2 is just as abrasive but not quite as heavy. I'd certainly call parts of one metal at least. Probably the earliest signs of avant-garde metal.

Anyways, 21st Century Schizoid man came before it. Tongue
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 6:54am
I'm not saying that KC should be in MMA, I'm just making an observation of LTIA, and how many prog bands(Van der graaf Generator also) gave some little hints to what would eventually be defined as metal Wink
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Phonebook Eater Phonebook Eater wrote:

I just listened to a piece of the  "Larks Tongues In Aspic" song (part 1) , and I thought that some of the heavier parts could also be classified as a sort of proto metal, or at least proto prog metal. Don't you think?

feeling sort of intellectual today... so let me tell you my opinion on that.

pffff... ranks up there with calling Red proto-grunge simply because Cobain liked the album...

no wait... is Willie Nelson pre-grunge

he has as much to do with grunge as KC does with ..metal...

good think ol' Kurt didn't have a thing for Willie Nelson...
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:17pm

Larks Tongues...a proto metal song?  ...mmm...possibly.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:16pm
There is definitely a metal ingredient in the much more complex soup which ITCOTCK, LTIA and Red are. So my position is that even though the metal is there, they shouldn't be qualified as such - a metal band, of any kind. 
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

no wait... is Willie Nelson pre-grunge

One could argue that Neil Young could be included in the site if we regard grunge as subgenre of metal (cf 'mirror ball').
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 1:53pm
     ^
Grunge is separate from metal, I think. Far too chilled out in comparison. Ying Yang
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 4:59am

Larks Tongues In Aspic proto metal?

In the US back in the 70's, Crimson was considered killer metal music
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 4:56am
They have certainly heavy properties you might say but King crimson are progressive rock and alwasy will be. They were never metal and i have everything they have done, none of it is metal - but they were of course pioneers.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 1:46am
Just because Crimson's a complete prog band doesn't mean they can't make a metal song...
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 10:29am
Certainly, the LTIA tracks contain some very heavy parts, and KC has influenced metal. Several metal musicians are fans of KC, and I've read somewhere that Steve Harris liked KC a lot.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 1:10pm
Steve Harris is a big prog fan, and I think Jethro Tull are his favourite band - so I wouldn't be surprised if he also liked KC. 
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 1:19pm
^ I think I read it in either "Run to the Hills" or that other Maiden biography. He also mentioned early Genesis in "The Early Years" as a major inspiration.
Black Flag View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Flag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 9:34pm
I was listening to those records when they came out, nobody sounded heavier than KC, not Zep, not Sabbath and not Blue Cheer.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 3:44pm
LTiA is a progressive rock album and that's that. Next!

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 27 Aug 2014 at 7:29pm
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic